“Great place to stay”

Pollock Halls - Edinburgh First
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here for a work conference in Sept. Good basic accommodation with fantastic breakfast. Its a 40 min walk into the city centre or a 10min bus ride.

Only thing was the drinks in the bar were expensive - £7.10 for a 250ml glass of wine. Saying that it was the same price as in the pubs.

I think this is a good, basic place to stay in Edinburgh and would definitley stay again

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed at Pollock Halls during August for the fringe. At a time when the hotels in town are inflating their prices to ridiculous amounts, the Halls provide a cheap and convenient alternative. We stayed in single rooms with shared bathrooms in Turner Building. Knowing we were staying in student accommodation, I was prepared to rough it a bit for the four days that we were here. However, when we arrived, I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms are basic : sink, bed and desk. There is massive amounts of storage, and the room was kept clean, as were the sheets and towels. On the first night, there was a rather annoying spring running down the center of my bed, so in the morning, we turned the mattress over and problem solved ! If you are expecting five star hotel accommodation standards in the rooms, you may be a little disappointed, but it was more than suitable for my needs. The bathrooms are shared, although completely private, with a toilet, sink and shower in each. There are several on each floors, so you are never far away from one. Being a considerate bathroom user, I always tried to leave the bathroom in a reasonable state and not to occupy it for too long each morning. During my stay, the other guests on our floor seemed to follow this example too, although it would only take a couple of bathroom hogs, to cause a bit of a backlog. Overall though, I had no problem with the facilities, apart from the one morning when the hot water went off - what a bracing shower that was !

The one main problem with the halls is that it can be quite noisy. The walls and ceilings are thin and I had a couple of people in the room next to me and above me who seemed to love banging around and slamming doors at half past one in the morning and you do sometimes get very loud teenager roaming the gardens at all hours. This wasn't too bad for me as I sleep with my DVD player on, but if you need complete silence to sleep, you may want to think about ear plugs.

Breakfast was more than acceptable and was included in the price of the room (just over £50 a night). There is a massive arrays to choose from, including full english, continental, cereals, breads, porridge etc. You can even have free fizzy drinks if you desire it. Generally the quality of the food is ok, although the bacon was a bit tough. Be warned, breakfast is chaos. There are literally people everywhere, many of whom are from all over the world and don't necessarily have the same social skills of "getting out of the way" if people want to get past, so you do tend to find yourself dodging around and avoiding people who just stand in the middle of walkways and spin around, mindless of who or what may be behind them, but we never had a problem finding a table.

The halls themselves are located about 15 to 20 minutes walk to the center of town, which we walked, there and back everyday, so if you have mobility problems, you might want to look into the bus service just outside the door. This does however mean that you are right at the base of Arthur's seat if you wish to climb the "mountain" which we did during our stay.

Staff were all very pleasant and check in and out were quick and easy and there is a shop on site for any forgotten bits or refreshments you may want during your stay. Tip, buy water from the shop and not in town, it will save you a fortune !

All in all, a good, cheap alternative for the fringe and one we will certainly be using next year !

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I have stayed here several times over the years, and again August this year. Even though I do like my pampering in 3/4 star hotels, student-style accomodation is never beneath me - as long as its of a decent standard.

And that is what you get with Pollock Halls. Its fairly basic, but certainly better than the rooms I had to stay in as a student. Besides, as most people have mentioned, the hearty breakfast makes up for some of the missing creature comforts. From memory, my room had a standard issue student desk and a sink/mirror.

The shared bathroom was literally 2 meters away from my room door, so I didn't have much of a walk if I needed to use it in the "wee" (ahem) hours. Do remember though, that in the morning everyone wants to use the bathrooms at the same time. They are numerous and scattered around the different floors, but don't forget morning = peak bathroom traffic.

For me, I kind of see a stay at Pollock Halls as an extension of the Fringe experience because there are so many event organizers, performers, school groups and of course punters staying there as guests. So somehow it just has that energetic festival vibe about it during the summer. On the years I've booked a 4-star, I've generally missed the breakfast and the buzz of Pollock Halls. Weird isn't it?

One note: Like most student-style accomodations built of a certain year, the mega hot water tanks are VERY close by and the water comes out VERY hot, so take care when using the taps.

The plus points are:
- Competitively priced to be budget friendly
- Very good breakfast (seriously, you can feed yourself for the whole day ahead)
- Within walking distance to pleasance and some other Fringe venues
- Being a Uni Hall, they are geared to servicing masses of people
- The view. It is very tempting to just start walking up that hill, get to the top and just take a load off and peer out above the city.

The minus points are:
- A fair trek/taxi/bus ride to Princes Street
- (in the summer months, if there is a good summer) rooms can get a bit sticky even with windows open by the full 5cm allowed by the window safety/security cord

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jon W
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Stayed at Pollock Halls for three weeks in August at Lee House Residence. Full board, room cleaned & linen changed daily. Helpful and friendly staff. This is not luxury accomodation, there's higher spec (ensuite available too) but it was excellent value for money. Reception staff very professional and good customer service skills. Erin deserves special mention for going above and beyond the call of duty. Thanks to everybody at Pollock Halls for helping make my stay for enjoyable.

Room Tip: Some rooms face Arthur's Seat - an extinct volcano which is a fantastic sight at dawn or dusk.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Wildcat370
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The place is very convenient, the staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms have nice layout and are comfortable. The breakfast was plentiful and of good quality. A perfect choice for all active tourists.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 28 August 2013

To start off, know what you're getting when you choose this property. These are converted student dorm rooms sold as hotel rooms in the summer. The accommodations are basic, but for the price represent a great value. I stayed in a single room with shared bathroom. The room had a twin bed, desk and vanity with sink. Bathrooms are scattered around the floor - you're never more than 20 ft from the closest bathroom. Each bathroom is only for one person - there are no stalls and you have complete privacy. Everything was very clean and the staff were very helpful. Breakfast was huge and good (but very crowded), and there is a pub open during the afternoon / evenings. It's about a 20 minute walk to High St. but there is a bus stop just outside the main gate.

2  Thank GuyIncognito17
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Very very basic indeed..we stayed here for one night for my mates stag do, 2 of my mates rooms we were given the wrong keys for...the beds in our twin room were extremely uncomfortable and my back is still sore!
The corridors really did smell unpleasant.
If all you need is a bed for the night then I suppose it would do..but i would not be rushing back.
It is in a good location for the city centre and bars etc.
£109 for a twin room is a bit steep..think half that would be more acceptable! saying that it was during the fringe.