I stayed in John Burnett House in Pollock Halls from 25th - 27th July.
The room had tea and coffee making facilities, a decent power shower, ample storage space and colour flat screen TV.
The room is basic, clean and comfortable. Fine for a place to crash out at the end of a day sightseeing or dining out in Edinburgh! Let's face it - how long do you stay in your room anyway?
Breakfast - I have stayed in Riu hotels before and I must say that the buffet breakfast in John Burnett is almost as good! What a choice- plenty of fruit juices, ample tea and coffe, a wide range of fresh fruit and cereal. For the cooked breakfast you can choose from a variety of eggs, haggis, black pudding, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, baked beans, tomato and hash browns. Also vegetarian options. Excellent - and should keep you going for the full day!
Location: Pollock Halls is situated south (east) of the City Centre in the shadow of Arthur's Seat, a picturesque hill with excellent views across Edinburgh if you have the time and energy to climb it. There are free car parking facilities, a taxi rank, and buses to the city centre can be caught about 5 minutes walk away opposite the Royal Commonwealth Pool on Dalkeith Rd. The bus fare is £1.50. Taxi will cost around £7
What to do: Okay! Pubs: Try the grassmarket area - The White Hart Inn was frequented by Robbie Burns and William Wordsworth and also Burke and Hare. It was also the victim of a Zeppelin attack during WW1. Try also the Last Drop, Maggie Dickenson's and The Fiddler's Arms. All serve real ale. Heading east into Cowgate, try the Brew Dog. A superb beer- drinkers pub with great beers and excellent music - blues, soul and rock
On the other side of Prices St, try the Cafe Royal and the Abbotsford.
Most of these pubs also serve decent food
Pollock Halls is a great place to stay and competitively priced
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pollock Halls is the perfect choice for larger groups and budget travellers visiting during the spring and summer. Our campus accommodation offers good value in a great location and you can look forward to a hearty breakfast in the Restaurant @ JMCC. Servery lunch and dinner are also available during the summer months. The cafe bar @ JMCC serves good food, fine wine, beers and spirits. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, LateRooms and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Pollock Halls - Edinburgh First reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pollock Halls - Edinburgh First Hotel Edinburgh
- Pollock Halls - Edinburgh 1st
- First Hotel Edinburgh
- Edinburgh First Hotel
- Pollock Halls - Edinburgh First Scotland