“Fab Fringe Base.”

Pollock Halls - Edinburgh First
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I travelled up to the Fringe with my husband and our brothers and used this hotel as our base. It looked just like uni accommodation except our room had some rather beautiful views. Rooms were nice and tidy and did the job. Staff were really friendly and helpful, manning the reception for 24 hours and allowing us to leave our luggage there. Breakfast was buffet style but it was very good. I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it for Fringe goers.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dodgethecat
There are newer reviews for Pollock Halls - Edinburgh First

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I was visiting for the Festival and I have nothing but praise for this student accommodation. Terrific value especially as I had been given an upgrade to a very quiet double ensuite room with view at the back to Arthur's Seat. Spotlessly clean, even better equipped than a Premier Inn room. There was a tv, hanging space, desk, and a tea and coffee tray with a kettle. There was only one very minor complaint regarding the self-closing door at the top of the first floor staircase near my room which banged every time someone came through. It was quite difficult to get to sleep; all it needed was presumably a small adjustment.

Very helpful staff at the road barrier (for parking) and then at the efficient Reception building. Nothing was too much trouble and they were able to give me detailed information about local buses etc. A credit card type door entry system in use to residential buildings.

There was a central self-service restaurant with lots of food distribution stations and a huge and abundant choice of breakfast ingredients. Students ought to feel very lucky to live in such surroundings as these. All my expectations were exceeded. I would have no hesitation in returning another year and would certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: Room facing view of Arthur's Seat might be quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed 1 night at Pollock halls on a 2 day trip to the fringe with my daughter. We had a twin en-suite room which was amazing value for the location and the time of year. The reception staff are friendly and very helpful. We were able to drop of our bags and leave them at no cost while we explored the city. When we returned after 9pm the check in process was quick and efficient. Our room was quite small, but it was spotlessly clean and the beds were comfortable. There was plenty of hot water, clean towels and soap, but you will need to take your own shampoo and shower gell. There was a hospitality tray but no biscuits so take your own if you like a sweet treat! The location is brilliant just a short bus ride or a pleasant half hour walk to Princes Street. The bus stop is close and a day ticket is only £3.50. The breakfast is excellent value and caters really well for vegetarians. We will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank laura341
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I stayed in Pollock (Chancellor's Court) in an en suite room. Comfortable, adequate accommodations, good breakfast (flashback to your university food court) but the dinner wasn't worth it. Excellent base for visiting Holyrood Park and Arthur's Seat. Nearby transportation and good reception services. Regarding price: I was booked in as part of a large group and the rate was very reasonable. But I wanted to extend my stay a few days at the non-group "retail" rate and it was not at all a bargain -- in fact, overpriced for what you get. I ended up moving to a B & B.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed there during the festival in a single rom for £52 per night. Room was clean, but smelt irredeemably of its previous occupant, I suspect a teenage boy!
Wifi, which had an absurdly compacted log in system, hardly worked.
When I went to leave, I left the key with a man sitting looking bored and do nothing, behind a desk who told me aggressively I "needed" to go and check out properly. I just ignored him but some people would have felt intimidated. Why on earth has a personnel manager so inept as to employ that person and allow them to deal with the public been engaged by the University?

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 August 2014

With inexpensive accommodation in Edinburgh being at at a premium during the Festival, I had no great expectations when we booked to stay in student accommodation. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Non-ensuite rooms are basic but clean with comfortable beds and their own washbasin and tea/coffee-making facilities. Showers and toilets are shared with others but were clean and always free when needed. Breakfast is self-service with plenty of options and runs very smoothly considering how busy the halls are at this time of year. Reception staff are helpful and efficient. Whilst outside the city centre, the halls are easily accessible by bus. There is also a free direct phone link in reception to a local taxi company who respond extremely speedily.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karamazov19
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Recently stayed in Pollocks-Hall for 3 days visit to Edinburgh. It was my first time in Edinburgh The room was basic but clean. The rooms were cleaned daily and had fresh towels daily. Breakfast was excellent They had a variety of choices. Cooked breakfast was available. We had choices of cereals , pastry,cakes and fresh fruits. Surprise to see the number of people staying in this butget hotell Hotel is close to city centre. We manage to walk to city centre daily. It was a nice walk. You could take the bus if you wish.City tours were of excellent value. Well orgarnised and very informative Will recommend to friends and family

Room Tip: lower ground was quiet
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends