Lock in the lowest price from these sites
All reviews student accommodation arthur's seat pollock holyrood park city centre grant house edinburgh university shared bathroom reception staff are per night military tattoo buffet breakfast haggis minutes walk away princes street fringe conference
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 August 2010

I have now stayed with Edinburgh First for the last seven years whilst making an annual pilgrimmage to the Edinburgh Fringe festival. For the first six years I was in Chancellor's Court - a modern and (for student life) very well appointed set of halls of residence in heavy use throughout the year. This year I got a room in the newly open John Baird house (opened in Nov 2009) and it provided first rate accommodation for the week.

There are lots of reasons to be positive about what you can get here
1/ In-room wifi / fast broadband now available (I paid £10 for 4 days) - wifi was quicker, cheaper and more reliable than in many Edinburgh hotels

2/ Excellent location for walking into Edinburgh - perhaps a 20 minute stroll to South Bridge and less for many fringe venues such as the Pleasance, Gilded Balloon, Underbelly and Pleasance Dome etc. Taxis from Princes Street cost around £5-£6 and you can be home from town and in bed within five minutes! You are on the doorstep of the wonderful Arthur's Seat and runners/joggers can be enjoying a strenuous work out within a minute of leaving the campus

3/ The famous Pollock Halls breakfast .... ok this is mass catering on an enormous scale but they do it rather well and it runs smoothly and the food is tolerably ok and sets you up for the day!

4/ Very convenient newstore / shop for those essentials that you forget plus on-site cash machines - all very central. Cafe bar also open until 10pm

5/ Very clean bathrooms and a good shower - although the rooms are not serviced every day the staff will do that for you if you have a friendly word.

6/ Freeview sateillte channels / flat screen tvs in each room

7/ Some super views of Arthur's Seat from many (but not all of the rooms)

8/ Efficient and friendly staff in all areas - notably the information centre which handles check-in and check-out

9/ You have a kitchen on each floor should you wish to cook your own meals

10/ The place is bustling all of the time - I imagine it can get noisy in some of the older halls (many of which are being replaced) but I have always found it to be a great base for the fringe - few frills but a safe, busy and really lively choice.

There is no gym/pool on site but you may be able to get a work out at the nearby Edinburgh University sports centre.

So I will be back next year - Edinburgh's hotels and B&Bs are so hideously over-priced at this time of year and Pollok Halls has always been my preferred option.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank GBR007
Reviewed 18 August 2010

My cousin and I shared a room here for five nights during festival season in Edinburgh. We knew going in that the room was a dorm room with a shower. The beds were comfortable. The room has television, but I had to pay extra for wifi service, and it was available only in the reception area and the dining hall/bar. Breakfast in the dining hall was busy, with a good selection and variety of foods. We were able to do our laundry here, and enjoyed listening to the sounds of bagpipes [we were there during the Tattoo] as we waited for our clothes to dry. Recommended

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2010

I stayed in the Chancellor's Court, sharing a twin room with a friend. It was extremely clean with a nice warm shower and although it was a room at the back with a view of the bins it was nice and quiet.
Evening meal was ok at £12.95 breakfast was included. Very, very busy at 9.45am food was of a cafeteria quality but you could have as much as you wanted. It was very obviously a student area but good enough for 1 night and in August rooms are scarce in Edinburgh.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2010

While performing in the Edinburgh Fringe with some friends, I had to relocate to here one night. A seasonal hotel located in the University of Edinburgh's Halls of Residence, it isn't bad - similar to a Holiday Inn - but I wasn't there very long, so I can't give much of a verdict.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2010

I booked this hotel through Yeego and got a pretty good deal considering that I booked late for the busiest time of the year in Edinburgh.

I booked a stay at the Holland House but as I got to the hotel I was told that they would locate me in the Masson house instead. It's apparently their newest (?) addition. In fact they were still renovating it. The room was ok, nothing special. I liked the fact that it was ensuite though, and there was a few nice gadgets in it like a TV, safe and a hair dryer. They had wifi too, I paid 3 pounds per day for it and it worked ok (it was fast but did disconnect me every once in a while).

My major complaint is the heating system though. I found my room to be pretty chilly especially in the nights, it must have been well below 20C in the room (I was wearing my coat and sweater inside all the time). So I asked somebody at the reception about the heating, and was informed that the heating system is automatic in all the buildings and does not turn itself on until the room temperatures drop to 16 degrees (60F) or so! So there was nothing that they could do about it. After the first night of not sleeping well because I was so cold I ended up buying warm pajamas for myself and using the extra blanket in the room as well.

On the day I left I had to wake up early to catch a 6am flight. So I woke up in this chilly room and then went to the bathroom to take a shower around 4am. To my unpleasant surprise there was no warm water coming out though no matter how long I let it run... So I was not able to take a (warm) shower at all! I asked about this as I was checking out and was then informed that this is normal: hot water is turned off in the night time until 5-6 am or so. WHAT A BRILLIANT IDEA...!

Oh, and one more thing about the oh so smart bathroom arrangements: the water power of the shower was so strong that on high settings it exceeded the capacity of the drainage system. This means that if you're not careful, the bathroom floor is flooding pretty badly after you're done with the shower. I also evacuated everything from the bathroom before showering since it's a small room and even if you use the shower curtain water can easily get splashed all over the place wetting your toilet paper and all.

What comes to the breakfast, it really is big as people say. It is also pretty good quality, considering the mass feeding that's going on. (That being said, I still wouldn't call it restaurant level. College cafeteria level does more justice to it).

• Trip type: Travelled solo