Apex Grassmarket Hotel
Waldorf Astoria
US$129
US$125
  • Restaurant
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$134
Agoda.com
US$200
US$195
4,029 results
All reviewsheights restaurantgreat locationedinburgh castlecastle viewroyal milerubber duckgrass markettwo double bedsfifth floorpubs and restaurantssuperior roomnoisy at nightearly hoursstreet noisean upgradefamily roomwalk in shower
Reviewed 20 April 2011

We were in Edinburgh on business at the beginning of April, and when told we'd be staying here I had a quick check of the website and thought it looked fantastic, but had been bluffed by hotel websites and pictures in the past so reserved comment til we got there...

Well, it was even better than we had first thought! We were welcomed by happy smiling staff who were most helpful. They gave us all the information we needed to know, and they also checked us in very quickly. Within 5 minutes I was in my room, had a peak out the window and there was this HUGE castle staring us right in the face, the best view from a hotel room i've ever had bar none. The rooms were spotless and in fantastic condition, the beds too were EXTREMELY comfy. We took advantage of the room service to get some drinks up to the room.
The food in the hotel is top notch, we had planned on eating out but decided to stay in and we were so glad we did! The hotel is in a great location, in the centre of Edinburgh's Grassmarket which is a nice area with good bars, restaurants, cafe's and shops. And it's only a 5 minute walk to Princes Street, Edinburgh Castle, and even less to the Royal Mile, you're really spoiled for choice.
The hotel has a swimming pool which we didn't use but it looked fab, also a gym which we didn't have time to use.
Our flight the next day wasn't until late afternoon, and upon telling this to the hotel staff they offered us a complimentary late check out time which just topped off a brilliant hotel stay.

The next time I'm in Edinburgh whether it's on business or leisure, I will 100% be going back to the Apex International!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 April 2011

stayed here with the family for two nights as it was my birthday. my husband told the hotel in an email that we were there for my birthday and on arrival there was a bottle of wine, a big chocolate easter bunny and a voucher for two free drinks at the bar and a birthday card. a really nice touch and made my day. the room was a superior family room which was fine and had a nice bathroom, the best bit for us was the fantastic view it had facing right on to the castle which at night was lit up and very nice to look on to. the reception staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfasts were lovely.free wifi also in room which was fast and no problems at all. the only down side i would say was that we stayed there on a saturday night and the pubs across the road were very noisy even through the night despite the windows being double glazed. over all a very enjoyable stay!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank holiday032
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Had a good experience with Apex in Dundee so decided the Apex International would be perfect for me in Edinburgh. BIG mistake; this is not a 4 star anything. After you lug your suitcase up two set of stairs to the dingy check-in area you have another set of stairs to reach the elevator. Then yI was welcomed by narrow, dark corridors leading to a cramped premium 5th floor room with a view of the castle. Good view; lets open the window and take a picture. Oops, the window is NAILED SHUT. No air-condioning and no source of air in the room. Which I now notice has dirty scuff marks on the walls and nicks and scars on the furniture. Bathroom has been newly redecorated but so poorly designed that it helps to be lefthanded. I like a cool, quiet room for sleeping; since the day was warm and the sun was shining and the window was NAILED SHUT I did not have a cool room; however, the room was indeed quiet because the window was NAILED SHUT!!!!!!

On the plus side; location is great for the Old Town; breakfast is very well done and the reception staff pleasant and efficient.

Room Tip: Find another hotel, there's plenty of them.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
AJC3112, General Manager at Apex Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2011

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay. I am extremely sorry that you found the arrival arrangements with luggage awkward on this occasion. There is a signposted ramp at the entrance that leads from the pavement directly into the raised gallery area of the Hotel, however it would appear from your comments that perhaps you did not see this on arrival. With regards to your picture of the window, having personally checked this it is in fact a hinge with the window freely opening inwards from a catch at the top. It is regrettable that you didnt bring this to our attention at the time as we would have been able to ensure you had a more comfortable night sleep. There are also fans in all rooms to further assist in maintaining a more ambient temperature. I am delighted that you enjoyed breakfast and found the reception team attentive. Thank you for your feedback and please do call me should you wish to personally discuss any elements of your stay. Kind Regards - Alistair J Campbell.

Reviewed 15 April 2011

I stayed there with my family for 6 days. The hotel is very nice, clean, organized, superb location, rooms very spacious, clean and well equiped, staff friendly and helpful, breakfast excellent, I would book again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2011

Plenty of on street parking near hotel, spa pool very relaxing and about a 15 minute walk to Princess Street. Very nice breakfast. Plenty of things for the kids to do.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family