Apex Grassmarket Hotel
US$329
US$215
US$107
  • Pool
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$93
  • Restaurant
Murrayfield Hotel and House(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$126
US$118
Agoda.com
4,041 results
All reviewsheights restaurantgreat locationedinburgh castlecastle viewroyal milerubber duckgrass markettwo double bedsfifth floorpubs and restaurantssuperior roomnoisy at nightearly hoursstreet noisean upgradefamily roomwalk in shower
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We booked a superior room and were upgraded to one with a balcony and castle view. The room was a good sizes the bed was huge and very comfortable, the bathroom and walk in shower were good (but no shower cap), there were tea and coffee making facilities and a small fridge. And wifi.
We arrived by car and stopped outside to ask which was the car park entrance. As soon as we had parked the porter came to the car park to take our luggage - great service.
The breakfast was good, cooked to order, very good haggis, perfect eggs florentine - but terrible coffee, weak and stewed, but quickly replaced by tea. Again, excellent service.
Good central location, not too noisy, we would definitely stay there again

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed three nights at the Apex Intl. The location is excellent, just a short walk up several steps to Edinburgh Castle. We reserved a room with a balcony and castle view, which was definitely worth it. It was nice to be able to step out onto the balcony and watch the activity in the square below and the view of the castle all lit up at night.

The room was large and had a comfy bed. There was a small refrigerator and a safe as well. Our room had a large shower stall and a separate bathtub, and the towels were huge. There was a large flat-screen tv. My husband used the gym and said it was good, they also have a spa and pool. Wifi is available in the rooms.

There are several pubs and restaurants just across the street from the hotel as well as a small convenience store. The prices for hotel room service and for the bar and bistro downstairs were very reasonable. We didn't eat in the top floor restaurant so I can't comment on those prices. The Royal Mile is just one block away with loads of dining options as well.

Despite being on a busy street, we didn't it find it very noisy and slept well all three nights.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues, you should be aware that there is a set of stairs to climb to reach the reception desk from the front door.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed here in April, as we took our son to Edinburgh for a weekend to celebrate his Birthday, and to visit the Zoo & the Pandas.

Had stayed here before with no problems.

Location is fantastic, no denying it, but the minute we arrived I had my doubts about how things would go...
Checked in around 3.30pm, (check in is 2pm, so we were not early!) asked how many of us there were, advised the receptionist there were 2 adults & 1 child. They knew this prior to us arriving, as I had booked a family room.
Anyway, was told room wasn't ready!! Went into bar and they provided us with a complimentary drink while things were "fixed"

Got to our room around 45 mins later to discover it was a double room with a makeshift campbed for our son, which was placed right beside a radiator, which had to be on as weather was still cold, so we had to move the campbed out from next to the radiator, but were very limited how far it could be moved.my poor son was not at all comfy in it, everytime he moved it groaned, and he cut his leg on wires on it.

I would have thought a child of 6 should not have had to sleep in a campbed in a 4 star hotel.
Maybe that's just me?

The last time we stayed we did have 2 huge beds for 3 of us, so was not a problem. The hotel was full so no chance of changing rooms.

Breakfast was chaos, too many people trying to get their buffet cooked breakfast, tables needing cleared etc. Not many staff.
I'm not a complainer, we have stayed here before with no problems, and had an enjoyable time on that occasion. But this time has put us off returning.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Kirsty-Cowan, General Manager at Apex Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was very disappointed that your stay did not live up to your expectations. I woulld ike to apologise that we didn't get things quite right for this visit but please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel if you are visiting Edinburgh again. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back, to allow us to show you the high level of service that most guests are accustomed to during their stay with us.
Kind regards
Kirsty Cowan
General manager

Reviewed 31 May 2012

The Apex Internatione has a good location at th Grassmarket, close to the Castle. My room was spacious, with two Queen size beds, a big flatscreen TV, and a nice desk with plenty power options
Bathroom was not big, but modern and functional. Breakfast was exellent with plenty options from an a la carte menu. Only thing to complain about was the elevators, they were extremely slow, and there were always someone waiting in front of them.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I found 'no faults' with this Hotel. The location is perfect! The pillows & beds were like marshmellows! The breakfast was wonderful as was the wait staff! You must try the haggis! I love it ! The breakfast room overlooks the Castle! And the special surprise for me was the 'rubber duck' in the tub! ( My Mother collected rubber ducks) !

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo