“Great place for a honeymoon...”

Apex Grassmarket Hotel
Ranked #89 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 18 June 2012

After deciding we wanted to spend our honeymoon in Edinburgh, i wanted to find somewhere special to stay. Ideally we wanted to stay at the Balmoral but our budget didnt stretch that far and so I came across the Apex International. Great location in Grassmarket. When i booked this hotel in March we got the 20% off for a 3 night stay. The price i paid was a bargain considering what i could have paid. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I had booked the duluxe double which gave you a fantastic view of Edinburgh Castle. The room was excellent, lovely decor and nicely furnished. I was a little disappointed with the bathroom, the bath was nothing more than your usual bath but it had a nice big walk in shower. I think i was expecting a nice big jacuzzi bath because it was the highest spec room. Initially we were going to eat out every morning for breakfast but we decided to have breakfast at the hotel. To be honest it was a great decision, the resturant was fantastic, it had a lovely atmosphere and excellent views of Edinburgh castle. The food was amazing, well worth £10 each and set us up for the day. The hotel is located in Grassmarket in a square with lots of pubs, which all serve food. There are also a couple of resturants in the square but we decided to either eat in the pubs or the hotel itself. To travel to princes street it took about 20 minutes to walk, at a nice steady pace. Also, if you are prepared to travel up the many steps near the castle you can get to the Royal Mile in about 10 minutes.
Overall the hotel was fantastic, the food was some of the best Ive tasted. We are planning on going back up there for our Anniversary, i just hope the weather is as just as nice as it was when the UK had the heatwave in March.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read that you chose to honeymoon with us at the Apex International Hotel. I may be a little biased but I think the view from our deluxe bedrooms cannot be matched, the view of Edinburgh Castle is simply spectacular. I'm glad you chose to take advantage of our special offer for breakfast. We also currently have an offer for a £10 voucher to redeem on food and beverage in the hotel when you book directly on our website.
I look forward to seeing you next year for your first anniversary!
Kirsty Cowan

Write a ReviewReviews (3,731)

Reviewed 13 June 2012

Me & my Boyfriend stayed here from the 31st May to the 2nd June for my boyfriends Birthday and it was fantastic!

I currently work for a booking agency and I have never stayed in a Hotel with such amazing staff and award winning food!

Everyone was so helpful & polite, our room was spotless and the food was sensational. We had breakfast, lunch & dinner with you and it was amazing value for money for the amount we got and the quality of the food.

We even received a complimentary drinks voucher through our door for my boyfriends Birthday and a complimentary glass of Champagne with our Dinner when eating in the brasserie which was beyond what we ever expected.

All the staff is a credit to Apex Hotels.

We look forward to staying with you in the future!

2  Thank CHON_2288

Dear Chantelle,
Thank you for your review. I was very pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

The entrance is a bit strange! There is no way of getting to the reception desk without lifting your bags either up or down steps. If you enter from the street at the front door, there are about 12 stairs up to the desk - with big suitcases and no porter this is a bit annoying. If you enter via the car park entrance to the right of the front doors, there is a ramp to the outside terrace but you still have to lift your bag down steps to get to the desk! But if you leave them here you are at least on the same level as the lift - we came to the conclusion the hotel has been converted from offices. The staff were all really friendly and the room was a very good size, with windows that open - no aircon however! Not that it's often necessary in Edinburgh, but if it was hot and you had a room at the front, opening the windows is a no-no as the hotel faces directly to the Grassmarket - which is a great place to be but gets noisy at night. Rooms was very clean, comfy beds, flat screen, OK bathroom, free wifi hurrah! No smoking rooms (apart from Deluxe rooms with balconies which were sold out) but they put us on the 1st floor where it was easy to get access to the outside terrace. There is access to rooms on this floor from the terrace which is accessible from the street - no key access to the elevators so not brilliantly secure. Breakfast however, is fantastic. Full ala carte menu included in our room rate, and the room has a STUNNING view up to the castle. I would stay here again, but not in a heatwave!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms have a balcony and a fab view over the castle but are at the front and could be noisy
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read that you had difficulty on arrival with our entrance stairs. We do have an accessable ramp at the side of the hotel, which is well worth locating if you arrive with heavy bags. Alternatively, our luggage porters will be on hand to assist you with any bags. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us, despite a few small issues and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

We spent the Jubilee weekend in this hotel and thought it was really good.

We had a room on the 4th floor overlooking the Old Town, some of the others overlook the Castle as well. The room was of a good size and very clean. The password for free wi-fi is listed on the card you are given with you room 'fobs'.

Location of the hotel was very good, in the middle of Grassmarket with all of its pubs and restaurants and a short walk from the Royal Mile and about a 15 minute walk to Princes Street.

We never eat lunch or evening meal in hotel restaurants, so I can't comment about the Heights. Breakfast weas not included in our rate and was expensive, so we ate at local cafe's. I can recommend Hula and Elephant. We also really enjoyed the 'Double Dead' ghost tour and a meal at an upmarket seafood reastaurant in Leith.

One other slight downside, the lifts were slow and 'clunky' they seemed to take an age to get anywhere and could do with some modernising.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Kirsty-Cowan, General Manager at Apex Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Grassmarket is without a doubt the place to base yourself if you are here to explore the city. We are within walking distance of most of the main attractions round town and our superior and deluxe bedrooms offer an unparralleled view of Edinburgh Castle! I am sorry to hear that you found our breakfast offering too expensive. We currently have a special offer available which includes an all you can eat continental buffet and a freshly prepared hot breakfast for only £10.
I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back tot he hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

You cannot stay here and enjoy NORMAL hotels benefits on your room unless you have a credit card

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Jks711

Thank you for your review. I'm disappointed to read that you encountered an issue trying to charge items to your bedroom bill whilst staying with us. Unfortunately, we do require a credit card to guarentee any charges to your bedroom account. I'm sorry this matter caused you some inconvenience while you were here but I do hope you enjoyed your complimentary drink while we rectified this problem for you.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

Took the family away to see the pandas, there were nine of us in 4 rooms. Apart from a small problem with one of the beds everything else was fine. Couldn't eat at the Heights Restaurant for dinner - big coach party one night and wedding the next, but the overall impression was a good hotel, reasonably priced, in the hub of Edinburgh, yes it can be a little noisy at night but at least you are in a vibrant busy location. Being in Grassmarket, within 100 yards ( or 92 metres for the younger ones) you have several restaurants and pubs, yes pubs not modern noisy, plastic bars, proper pubs. It is a few steps from the Castle, Princes Street and the centre of Edinburgh. Excellent hotel for a family visit. The only downside was that breakfast (served in the Heights Restaurant) was a little chaotic in parts, almost as if they didn't realise that most people who stayed in the hotel overnight would probably want breakfast in the morning, most odd.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room overlooking the car park, not a great view but quieter
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Donkey3653

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your time in Edinburgh. I'm sorry you were not entirely satisfied with our breakfast service, I have discussed your comments with my Restaurant team to make improvements where necessary.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

Hotel has a very good location near the castle , room was clean but bathroom had a strange smell ,i got a room at the back of the hotel with view of a wall / car park would have been nice to get one at the front with views of the castle

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for your review, I'm sorry to hear that you encountered a problem with your bathroom during your stay. Whilst our bedrooms looking over the car park are definitely quieter, it is certainly worth considering an upgraded room due to the incredible views of the Grassmarket and Edinburgh Castle from these rooms.
I hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon.