Stayed one night and loved its central location on the Grassmarket in Edinburgh Old Town. It has limited parking spaces which are a real bonus but they charge an extra £12 a day for the privillege.
Our standard room was modern but pretty basic in terms of its amenities. Sadly our view was of the back court area which is not very pleasant and I suspect you will have to pay considerably more for a view of the castle. There are some rooms with balconies which must have the best view.
Our room had a kettle with coffee/tea, biscuits and two bottles of water. There is no fridge or minibar which is highly unusual for a four star hotel. There was also no room safe which is a problem for tourists with a lot of currency and valuables, very limited clothes storage space, no radio alarm clock, no air conditioning and no towel warming rail in the bathroom. There is also limited lighting with only three lamps and no central ceiling light. Our desk lamp was broken which made the room even darker. We did hear some noise particularly from the back court area where recycling facilities are.
The room did contain a trouser press, iron& board, hairdrier, flat screen TV, desk, chair, small hanging wardrobe, shampoo & shower gel, tissues and a rubber duck!
The bed was fairly comfortable but only a standard double in size. Overall it was fairly average.
The only meal we ate in the hotel was breakfast in the Heights restaurant with spectacular views over the castle. Selection of food was good and there seemed to be a plentiful supply of continental buffet food. We were served a small pot of tea between two and could have done with one each. No choice of bread for toast - only white was served. Bacon served was ok but nothing outstanding.
Staff were all very attentive and pleasant and check in and out was quick and efficient.
The hotel does have a small pool and some spa facilities which are very handy for such a central location. There was free wifi avaliable and the hotel in general very clean and modern.
In summary we had a pleasant stay but would not rush back unless there was a particularly good deal on. There are better standards of hotel around which perhaps offer more for your money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Edinburgh’s old town, this contemporary four star hotel has 169 stylish rooms, many with panoramic views of the castle and city skyline. Designed for comfort, the rooms include 42 inch wide screen LCD TV, large desk, free Wi-Fi and local calls, tea and coffee, luxury toiletries, iron and ironing board. Facilities include restaurant, bar, meeting and event space for up to 250 delegates, and pool, tropicarium and gym. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Apex Grassmarket Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apex International Edinburgh
- Hotel Apex International
- Apex Grassmarket Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland