“"Excellent staff in a fabulous location"”

Apex Grassmarket Hotel
Ranked #89 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 18 December 2012

We have recently returned from a weekend in Edingburgh (December 2012), to celebrate my husbands 50th Birthday. This Hotel had been recommended by a colleague and I have to say the hotel was everything we had expected and more. Prior to travelling I had emailed the hotel requesting a room with a view of the castle. We had an early flight so we arrived at the hotel at 0830hrs, the staff were so helpful, and although are room wasn't ready they took care of all our luggage, they advised us on where to visit, local restaurants etc... By 1130hrs they had text us to let us know are room was avilable. When we did arrive back to our room a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine and a Birthday card was waiting for my husband and we were on the third floor overlooking the castle.
I would not describe the hotel as plush or luxurious, however, it was spotlessly clean and what made it for us, besides a fantastic location, was the genuine friendlinesss of all the staff, they couldn't do enough for you. I can highly recommend the full scottish breakfast. When we were leaving we had a late flight, the hotel looked after all our luggage until it was time to leave.They ordered our taxi and carried our cases to the vehicle. 1st class service.
The hotel is in an excellent position for all the sites, we had a fabulous time and we will certainly be returning to Edingburgh and particulary this hotel.

Mr and Mrs Yandle

Room Tip: The front of the hotel overlooks the castle, the third floor afforded an excellent view
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jacqui y
Kirsty-Cowan, General Manager at Apex Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2012

Thank you for your review, Jacqui. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope your husband enjoyed his birthday celebrations.
Kirsty Cowan

Write a ReviewReviews (3,884)

Reviewed 17 December 2012 via mobile

Nice place, staff is very helpful and polite. Located at the centre of the city, 5 minutes tops to the castle. Room service is ok as well. In our room there was no safe, so we had to use safety deposit packets at the reception. Other two problems were pillows and a basin in the bathroom. Pillows are too soft, i almost drowned in them, not really comfortable to sleep. The basin had cracks all over its surface.

Kirsty-Cowan, General Manager at Apex Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2012

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your comments regarding our pillows. We do have an alternative hypo-allergenic pillow which is available on request if the feather option on our beds is too soft.

Reviewed 16 December 2012

I have stayed in this hotel on four seperate occassions, the standard and cleanliness of th hotl is excellent, facilities very good, staff professional and helpful, the hotel is a great location, Grassmarket and castle on the doorstep, The Royal Mile and Princes Street, within comfortable walking distance, in my opnion walking is the best way to explore Edinburgh....
Slight downside can be noisy at weekends and during the Festival in August, due to close proximity of the bars, if this may be a problem for you then request a room on the rear side of the hotel, however the view of the castle you get from the front elevation is fabulous!

Room Tip: For view one of the upper floor front rooms, for quiet on of the upper floor rearside rooms, a stand...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Thanks for your review, Jo. It was our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel again. Hopefully we will see you again in the New Year.

Reviewed 13 December 2012

I was well looked after by reception/porters and during the stay attended a family wedding which was well staffed and well run.the food was beautiful and the whole day was well thought out and ran smoothly.
The room was comfortable,warm,clean with excellent facilities.
The view of the castle from the resterant is superb and made the most of .

Room Tip: I had a front facing but the noise was minimal
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Kirsty-Cowan, General Manager at Apex Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2012

Thanks for your review, Jacqui. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that your family wedding was enjoyed by all. I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

Terrible Experince. I spend around 100 nights a year in 4/5 star hotels and I have never stayed in such a terrible place. Basically a Travel Lodge charging £100+ per night. Advertised as family friendly but we could not settle the children until after 3am. Constant shouting and door banging. Loud music being played in rooms. People smoking in corridors. Called management and they assured me they had spoken to guests but it made no difference.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Glyn A
Kirsty-Cowan, General Manager at Apex Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2012

Thank you for your review, Glyn. I was disappointed to read you did not have an enjoyable stay with us. Unfortunately, it seems you were disturbed by neighbours who showed little consideration for our other customers. In this situation we will always deal sternly with anyone disturbing our other guests. I'm sorry that on this occasion this action did not happen quickly enough for you. We are a no smoking hotel and do not allow smoking in any bedroom or public area. Anyone found to be flaunting this rule is removed from the hotel immediately.

Reviewed 8 December 2012

I have just returned from Apex International a nice hotel and great staff in a very good location close to Castle and plenty of bars and restaurants in area across the road from Hotel Pros Staff were lovely and very helpful a quick check in room was good size and very quiet, tea and coffee and lovely shortbread biscuits every day bed was very comfy. Cons Pillows as other reviewers mentioned were the worst I have ever tried to sleep on I cant understand what was in them!!! I actually used the big cushion instead I had no other option. The other complaint was 1 shower gel for 2 people for 3 days thats not on it should have been replaced every morning.Alsso came in one night after being out all day and we were refused a drink in bar with no reason given I know it was late but there were other patrons having a drink.Every other hotel we stayed in also had either a seperate late bar for residents or just got us drink from the hotel bar to take to our rooms. The one thing I would recommend this hotel does ASAP is invest in new pillows.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Kirsty-Cowan, General Manager at Apex Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, Doownelg. Thank you for your kind words regarding our team at the hotel. I was disappointed to read that you were not satisfied with our pillows. All rooms have 100% goose feather & down pillows in them but we also have a slightly firmer non allergenic foam pillow available on request. We supply Elemis toiletries in all our bedrooms and will replace these where requred in stayover bedrooms. We are licensed to serve alcoholic beverages to our residents 24 hours a day but under the terms of this licence, we also reserve the right to refuse service at our discretion.

Reviewed 8 December 2012

I spent one night at the hotel in December and found it a very pleasant stay. The standard room on the second floor was spacious and had a nice view over the Grassmarket to the Castle. Although I did not dine at the hotel, the breakfast in the fifth floor restaurant was good and the staff were all very efficient and friendly, as was the case at the reception. The hotel has the added bonus of a good car park behind the hotel, a great asset in Edinburgh.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, Bigweb. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.