“1 hour wait for breakfast!!! BUT good hotel”

Apex Grassmarket Hotel
Ranked #89 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 30 December 2012

first the bad point on our stay( 27-28 th dec) went to breakfast on 1st morning to come out of lift to be meet with about 40 people waiting for breakfast!!!, breakfast manager took our room number and said the wait would be 30-45 min, went back to room to return 40 mins later but still waited another 10 min to be seated to breakfast. Moan over, once seated breakfast area had great view over to castle, the area was clean even though it was and had been very busy.The choice was plentyfull, fruit and ceral etc and cooked breakfast ordered at table and served to you,which was tasty. the next morning was a far better 4 star experiance no queues, as the hotel had opened the ground floor dining area for familly buffet breakfast.
we had a deluxe room complete with balconey overlooking castle (which was booked a while ago on special deal on hotel web site) the room was well equiped but may be not as good as it could be, carpet tatty in places, no shelf in shower area for soaps/gel etc. nice toiletries and a rubber duck!! hotel had own car park £12 per day charge but cheap for edinburgh. good location only a couple of mins walk to most places in edinburgh.also got a £10 vouchure to spend in hotel for booking direct, nice touch. would stay again no problem. neil and fiona armstrong

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Kirsty-Cowan, General Manager at Apex Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2013

Thank you for your review, Neila. I was disappointed to read about the issues you encountered during a very busy breakfast just prior to New Year but equally pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us.
Kirsty Cowan

Write a ReviewReviews (3,746)

Reviewed 26 December 2012

I stayed here with friends in November and having stayed at The Apex Waterloo Place a few times and had a lovely stay I expected to have a similar experience here.

The reception staff were friendly and professional upon check in and kindly took our bags when we arrived early but the room I stayed in not up to scratch for a 4 star hotel.

The bathroom smelled of damp, having no extractor fan. The carpets appeared not to have been vacuumed since the previous occupier. There were numerous dirty marks on the walls, the arms of both armchairs were filthy and there were suspicious looking stains on the cushion and throw upon the bed.

The hotel was full so a move to another room was not an option. The breakfast however was lovely and all staff I met were very polite and respectful.

I filled in a comments card, completed a review on the Apex website mentioning my thoughts upon checkout and have not heard anything back whatsoever. Clearly a very thorough manager working here just now (not). I won't be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank ShelleyMac12
Kirsty-Cowan, General Manager at Apex Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2012

Thank you for your review, Shelley. I was disappointed to read that you experienced issues with your assigned bedroom but very pleased to read that you found our staff, service and breakfast good. I have asked my Head Housekeeper to review the bedrom you stayed in and ensure improvements are made immediately. All our bedrooms have ventillation but I will ask Maintenance to check the unit in the bedroom you stayed in to ensure it is working effectively. We reply to all feedback received from guests, so please accept my apologies that we did not respond on this occassion.

Reviewed 24 December 2012

Wish I could have stayed longer. This is one of 2 Apex hotels on Edinburgh's bustling Grassmarket. The reception areas are a bit strange - lots of wasted space with mirrors and nothing much happening but maybe they come into their own when there's a conference on. There was a pool - pity I hadn't done my homework and brought a costume. Because they were quiet I was upgraded to a superior room with a truly fabulous view of the Castle and an interesting view over the ever lively Grassmarket. There is quite a lot of noise from the street below actually.
The room was nice and the tiny tiny bathroom was ok too - nice Elemis toiletries.
I ate in the bar/bistro which was a bit soulless but the staff were attentive and the food very good. A couple of good choices for vegetarians and not the usual stuff either.
Reception staff were friendly enough and quite helpful.

Room Tip: Depends on whether you are a light sleeper - views over the castle are great so ask for a front faci...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review, Marilyn. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 20 December 2012

My partner and I stayed overnight at this hotel following a dinner dance. As it was his birthday I booked the room as a weekend treat and we were not disappointed, our room was upgraded and there was a bottle of wine awaiting our arrival!. The room was spotless and roomy but the best thing was the view!!! We looked directly onto Edinburgh Castle and over the Grassmarket. I was born and raised in the Old Town of Edinburgh in the Canongate but the familiar sight was no less stunning. Pam the head of housekeeping checked we were happy with the room as it was a bit late but this was only by ten minutes and we were treated to a complimentary drink whilst we waited! I was very impressed by this touch and her hard work was evident. I would like to take this chance to apologise as I cut my finger and bled a bit on the bright white towels. Sorry!!!
The room was comfortable and the bed marvelous we had a great nights sleep and enjoyed a beautiful breakfast and fabulous service.
We will definately return this hotel should be very proud of its staff from reception to cleaners we never found one single thing that was below a 10/10.

Room Tip: get a room on the 5th floor perfect views and handy for breakfast!!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Lisa, I was delighted to hear that you and your partner had a great stay with us and that he enjoyed his birthday treat! Hopefully we will see you again the next time you come back to your hometown and I do hope that your finger is ok now!

Reviewed 18 December 2012

I booked this hotel for one night as a birthday present for a friend.
On arrival the lady and man whom I wish I remembered the names where friendly and welcoming.
Are room wasn't available until 12 so they nicely collected our bags while we explored Edinburgh city centre.
we collected are room cards and we were happy to find our bags already in the room. The room was incredible. Beautifully decorated, clean and the view was perfect.
Our view overlooked Edinburgh castle and grass market unfortunately my mum who was also staying at this hotel did not get a very nice view but overall they were still extremely happy with their stay.

The beds where the comfiest I've ever slept in, bathroom/shower was very clean and again very nicely decorated.

We on arrival payed £10 for breakfast which I would say you would be a fool not to do this! This includes a menu and buffet. I had a Scottish breakfast, oranges juice, tea, bowls if fruit. And the view is even better in this eating area.

This hotel is in front of pub/eating places on grass-market another 5min walk from royal mile and estimate time of 15min to Edinburgh city. If your not a walker a bus was estimate £1.70.

This is a brilliant hotel for people who want close Pub, bars, restraints, royal mile which has obviously Edinburgh castle, Mary king close, world of illusions whiskii bar and a lot more attractions.

Room Tip: Asking for a view of castle will complete the whole package to your stay!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your review. Hopefully we will see you again the next time you visit Edinburgh.

Reviewed 18 December 2012

We have recently returned from a weekend in Edingburgh (December 2012), to celebrate my husbands 50th Birthday. This Hotel had been recommended by a colleague and I have to say the hotel was everything we had expected and more. Prior to travelling I had emailed the hotel requesting a room with a view of the castle. We had an early flight so we arrived at the hotel at 0830hrs, the staff were so helpful, and although are room wasn't ready they took care of all our luggage, they advised us on where to visit, local restaurants etc... By 1130hrs they had text us to let us know are room was avilable. When we did arrive back to our room a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine and a Birthday card was waiting for my husband and we were on the third floor overlooking the castle.
I would not describe the hotel as plush or luxurious, however, it was spotlessly clean and what made it for us, besides a fantastic location, was the genuine friendlinesss of all the staff, they couldn't do enough for you. I can highly recommend the full scottish breakfast. When we were leaving we had a late flight, the hotel looked after all our luggage until it was time to leave.They ordered our taxi and carried our cases to the vehicle. 1st class service.
The hotel is in an excellent position for all the sites, we had a fabulous time and we will certainly be returning to Edingburgh and particulary this hotel.

Mr and Mrs Yandle

Room Tip: The front of the hotel overlooks the castle, the third floor afforded an excellent view
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jacqui y
Kirsty-Cowan, General Manager at Apex Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2012

Thank you for your review, Jacqui. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope your husband enjoyed his birthday celebrations.

Reviewed 17 December 2012 via mobile

Nice place, staff is very helpful and polite. Located at the centre of the city, 5 minutes tops to the castle. Room service is ok as well. In our room there was no safe, so we had to use safety deposit packets at the reception. Other two problems were pillows and a basin in the bathroom. Pillows are too soft, i almost drowned in them, not really comfortable to sleep. The basin had cracks all over its surface.

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your comments regarding our pillows. We do have an alternative hypo-allergenic pillow which is available on request if the feather option on our beds is too soft.