I had no conerns at staying at the Apex as I had stayed at one in London a few times and thought it was great. However the Apex International Edinburgh wasn't up to the same standard.
The common areas are lovely and very modern yet welcoming and the check in staff were very helpful. We had been sent an e-mail offering an upgrade to a superior room but found out upon check in that we weren't in time and the rooms were full. This became more disapointing as we entered our room. First impressions of the room were ok but as we put our things down we were not impressed. Hugely important to me is having a safe for our keys and documents etc which this room didn't have. I have never stayed in a hotel without a safe so I was quite shocked. I called the front desk to be told only superior rooms have a safe of which they had none available. I did complain as I thought for a 4 star hotel in the city this was a standard feature in a room. Moving on from safe-gate, the finishings in the hotel were poor. There were 2 seats in the room that were very marked and looked dirty as well as being broken and threadbare; the bed was sloped and very uncomfortable; the furnishing were tired and the bathroom had mildrew in a few places. This just wasn't what I had experienced in London.
The staff are great however and I returned before the second night of our 2 night stay to a safe in a cupboard so I was very grateful for the effort.
The pool is a nice thing to have in a central city hotel and the bar is well stocked and cosy.
The location is perfect for the castle and the royal mile also.
In conclusion, a bad room made for an ok stay. I would only book a superior if returning but I would more likely try another hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Apex Grassmarket Hotel is located in Edinburgh’s vibrant Grassmarket. Nearby, you’ll find the characteristic Edinburgh Castle, Greyfriars Kirkyard and The Royal Mile, making this hotel the perfect place to stay if you’re looking to explore the city. Your room will be stocked with both essentials and added extras like complimentary Wi-Fi, luxurious Elemis toiletries and a 42” LCD TV. Choose a Deluxe or Family room and you’ll also get an Edinburgh Castle view to make your stay extra special. Kick-start your day with a refreshing swim in the hotel swimming pool or use the Technogym fitness studio, free of charge. Later you can try some unique fusion food to share created by the well-known Edinburgh Chef, Tony Singh in the hotel restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Apex Grassmarket Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apex International Edinburgh
- Hotel Apex International
- Apex Grassmarket Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland