My wife and I booked the Apex International for 3 nights in January 2013 to celebrate our birthdays. My main reason for choosing this hotel was it's proximity to the castle and the bars and restaurants in the Grass market and also the pool and gym facilities. I booked via a cashback site and our standard rooms with breakfast cost £70 a night.
We arrived at the hotel after a 10 minute taxi drive from Edinburgh Waverley train station. Checkin was prompt and the porter who showed us to our room was most helpful and welcoming. The standard rooms don't face onto the market or have a castle view but this is balanced by them having less noise. The rooms are huge with a queen bed, 40" Samsung tv, tea and coffee facilities and inclusive toiletries. We did use the leisure facilities at the hotel. The gym is small with some decent running machines, a sauna and the pool which was lovely. As I said, we had inclusive breakfast and I can highly recommend this option. You walk into the 5th floor restaurant and the view of the castle is just wow! There is a buffet of cereals, cold meats and cheeses etc but your main breakfast is a la carte cooked to order. Eggs Benedict and a pot of fresh coffee with that view makes me want to be back there now! Step out of the hotel and you're in the Grass market with a selection of decent bars and restaurants. The castle can be accessed from the market via a few sets of ancient steps that certainly get the lungs working. Princess street is a 15 minute stroll away. We used the bar at the hotel and though the drinks are pricey it's pleasant with great cocktails. All of the staff at this hotel that we encountered were most helpful and professional including reception, bar, restaurant and room staff.
This is a very decent quality 4 star hotel and we will definately stay here again when visiting Edinburgh if the price is right!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Apex Grassmarket Hotel is located in Edinburgh’s vibrant Grassmarket. Nearby, you’ll find the characteristic Edinburgh Castle, Greyfriars Kirkyard and The Royal Mile, making this hotel the perfect place to stay if you’re looking to explore the city. Your room will be stocked with both essentials and added extras like complimentary Wi-Fi, luxurious Elemis toiletries and a 42” LCD TV. Choose a Deluxe or Family room and you’ll also get an Edinburgh Castle view to make your stay extra special. Kick-start your day with a refreshing swim in the hotel swimming pool or use the Technogym fitness studio, free of charge. Later you can try some unique fusion food to share created by the well-known Edinburgh Chef, Tony Singh in the hotel restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, LateRooms, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Apex Grassmarket Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apex International Edinburgh
- Hotel Apex International
- Apex Grassmarket Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland