I stay in hotels very often within the UK and across the world and this is the first 4-star hotel that I have come across which fails to impress so spectacularly. At check in the front of house managed to give me wrong directions to my room. Not a big deal. I am old enough to find my own way. I made my way through the foyer which had a reception on the go. Unfortunately, the entire foyer stank of cigarette smoke.
The hotel staff should have considered other guests in the hotel (including kids). I tried ordering room service only for the phone to ring without being able to get through. When I eventually did, I was told that they were very busy and that they would call back in ten minutes. I am sure my order would have taken just seconds to scribble down. I then received my main course - the mushroom risotto. It was under cooked and resembled paste. When I called room service again to request a replacement. The first person I spoke with came across defensive and abrupt. He said that someone would call me back. Someone else did call me back and thankfully he was polite and sorted me out in no time. I then tried calling reception to book a taxi for the morning but the phone was engaged for at least an hour. I then tried the hotel's phone number only to get the reservation staff who weren't on the premises, therefore they could not place my call through. I asked them to pass my message on to reception and ask them to call me. They agreed and confirmed that the reception desk is very busy at the moment (still not sure how they could have known this?).
After waiting for the call for an hour, I went down to reception to book the taxi directly with the reception staff. Low and behold, there were no guests at all at reception and the staff were not 'busy'. The friendly receptionist advised that there is a technical problem with the phones and that IT are looking into it. So much for the information provided by the reservations staff.
As for the room. Well it was sparsely decorated and less impressive than most 3 star establishments.
Some might say that the above comments refer to minor issues. However, a 4 star hotel charging 4 star rates should deliver a 4 star product!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Edinburgh’s old town, this contemporary four star hotel has 169 stylish rooms, many with panoramic views of the castle and city skyline. Designed for comfort, the rooms include 42 inch wide screen LCD TV, large desk, free Wi-Fi and local calls, tea and coffee, luxury toiletries, iron and ironing board. Facilities include restaurant, bar, meeting and event space for up to 250 delegates, and pool, tropicarium and gym. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Apex Grassmarket Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apex International Edinburgh
- Hotel Apex International
- Apex Grassmarket Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland