Arrived on business late afternoon. Entrance is a bit clinical in terms of decor but I might be being unfair. Friendly front of house staff very eager to help. I received an upgrade to a superior room so was looking out at the Grassmarket with a wonderful view of the Castle.
The hotel is a great position for tourists as you have the shadow of the castle in front and the Grassmarket pubs and restaurants which cater for budget meals and just up the road you have slightly more expensive restaurants. The walk to the Royal Mile is 5 to 10 min and for a bit longer say 20min you are inPrinces Street and the heart of Edinburgh. Waverley Station is very close by and the tram is best taken to Haymarket albeit there is still a bit of a walk to the Hotel so you may still need a cab. That is if you are lazy like me!
Now about the hotel. First thing is there is no air on in the rooms so in Summer a little stuffy and warm. You do get a desk fan which I had on the whole night. Winter would be fine but during the tropical Edinburgh summer a bit of a disadvantage. Beds are soft and pillows are exceptional. Clean rooms with all the regulars - iron, coffee/tea and biscuits, hair dryer, safe, etc. bathroom only has shower and no bath but newly installed and very chic. And you get a free rubber duck! Seriously...
Dinner I recommend you use the Grassmarket amenities as they are buzzing with live music in at least 3 pubs right next to each other. Breakfast is on the 5th floor with a very unique view of the Castle through large windows and the food is excellent. Very efficient service and choice of continental, cooked and cold breakfasts. Worth a visit just for the breakfast experience frankly. That is why I came back to be fair as I have been here before.
Good value, friendly staff, great breakfast, excellent touring position and only downside was no air on for the Summer but it is not a deal breaker. Ps there is also gym and swimming pool but didn't use them so will leave that to another review.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Apex Grassmarket Hotel is located in Edinburgh’s vibrant Grassmarket. Nearby, you’ll find the characteristic Edinburgh Castle, Greyfriars Kirkyard and The Royal Mile, making this hotel the perfect place to stay if you’re looking to explore the city. Your room will be stocked with both essentials and added extras like complimentary Wi-Fi, luxurious Elemis toiletries and a 42” LCD TV. Choose a Deluxe or Family room and you’ll also get an Edinburgh Castle view to make your stay extra special. Kick-start your day with a refreshing swim in the hotel swimming pool or use the Technogym fitness studio, free of charge. Later you can try some unique fusion food to share created by the well-known Edinburgh Chef, Tony Singh in the hotel restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Apex Grassmarket Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Apex International Edinburgh
- Hotel Apex International
- Apex Grassmarket Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland