“Ursula and the Ardgarth saved our trip to Edinburgh!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ardgarth Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ardgarth Guest House
Ranked #132 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Ursula and the Ardgarth saved our trip to Edinburgh!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

After 6 hours on the plane, and a subsequent mix-up and 1 hr delay at the car rental, my husband, 3 children and I were exhausted and ready to settle into a restful, relaxing B&B. Unfortunately, there was another mix-up to be had at the B&B we had reserved. The owner, however, referred us to her friend Ursula at the Ardgarth. We are so happy that she did!!! We were given 2 adjoining ensuite rooms (we had the top floor to ourselves), and were tremendously pleased with our accomodations. Clean, comfortable beds, and the rooms airy and light. The full Scottish breakfasts were delicious (though the children preferred the chocolate croissants!), and Ursula was so friendly and helpful with her suggestions for our stay in Edinburgh. She had a vast knowledge of family-friendly travel tips, and (understanding how challenging it can be to feed young children on holiday) allowed us to eat our take-away food for dinner in the breakfast room. We loved the location - minutes walk to the water and bus stop, and with convenience shops and reasonably priced food nearby. A wonderful experience all around, and I would recommend the Ardgarth wholeheartedly - especially those with children. An EXCELLENT way to enjoy Edinburgh!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Edmonds, Washington USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2009

Ursula Wright was a perfect hostess who was always ready with suggestions for sightseeing and making sure all the guests' needs were
accommodated. The rooms were beautifully decorated and kept immaculately clean. Her breakfasts were well prepared and we loved the
fresh blue berries and strawberries.

The location was excellent. It was a block from the promenade on the beach yet only a 15 minute bus ride to the center of Edinburgh. It was the
best of all worlds.

We will happily stay there when we return to Edinburgh.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2009

I had a great stay at this establishment. Everyone made me feel very welcome, the staff was sweet and attentive. The room was spotless and the bed firm but comfortable. A good breakfast was presented in the morning. All at a reasonable rate. I can recommend the Ardgarth guesthouse to anyone looking for accommodation in the Edinburgh area. The location of this b&b is ideal; just a short walk to the beach in friendly Portobello. The ride by bus to the city centre is about 20 minutes. Hoping to return soon!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
Clydebank, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2009

I came to the guest house with my daughter as a treat for her birthday. From the moment we entered the house, we felt welcome. Ursula was just lovely - very friendly and helpful.
I had booked a twin room but we were fortunate enough to be given the Family Room. It was very spacious and absolutely spotless. My daughter opted for the single bed and I got the massive King Sized Bed - it was to die for!! So comfortable and I slept like a baby. My daughter's bed was just as comfortable. Apart from the hospitality tray which had coffees, teas (herbal tea was included), hot chocolate and biscuits, there were other lovely little touches - toffees on our beds; a little sewing kit; lovely shower creme; little sachet of body creme; even a tube of toothpaste!!

Breakfast was served by a really nice girl and was delicious. Plenty of everything and we weren't remotely hungry again till mid afternoon.

Rather than staying in the centre of Edinburgh, which is much more expensive than the brilliantly priced Argath and trying to find parking which incurs parking fees, I had chosen to stay in Portobello knowing there was a frequent bus service into the centre of Edinburgh - I wasn't disappointed in any way. The bus service leaves from the bottom of the street and is very frequent.

Our experience of staying here was 100% positive and I would highly recommend the Ardgath.

• Stayed April 2009
europe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2009

The overall experience at Ardgarth was fantastic. It was easy to find, simple to get to by bus, and the warm welcome given by the owners took the winter chill away! Nothing was too much trouble, and there was plenty of space, free internet, soup every afternoon, fantastic breakfast, 24 hour access...I would return to Edinburgh just to stay there again!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2008

I came to Edinburgh with a very bad back, and not only did Ursula accomodate me by making my bed more cozy, she DROVE me to a chiropractor friend of hers in the neighboring town of Loanhead (thanks, Lynn!) where I was fixed up nicely! Every day there was a delicious breakfast served by her pleasant staff. Oh yes, I almost forgot, I had forgotten to bring a jacket with me and Ursula gave me a jacket of her husbands to use. On my last evening in Edinburgh I had managed to rip my only pair of slacks in an embarrassing place (good thing I had a pair of shorts!) and the next morning Ursula offered me 3 pairs of slacks she was going to take to the charity shop anyway! What a great lady. Not many people would bend over backwards like she did for me, so if you come to Ardgarth House, you'll be in good hands. Oh yes, and the bus system into town is really fast and easy and the beach is close by!

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank thehowling1969
essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2008

This is a lovely guest, very well run, in a lovely location. I came here for three nights with my husband and my two young daughters. The room was great, clean and quiet. Breakfast was very good, excellent choice. My daughters were also well accomodated for, they certainly didnt go hungry. Portobello, where the Ardgarth is located, is lovely a really contrast with busy Edinburgh. Not many places to eat in the evening though. Excellent bus service to get into Edinburgh.

I would recommend this guest house, when we were there there were several nationalites there so I think it is very popular. The owner had plenty of books on Scotland and Edinburgh and although we didnt ask I can imagine she woudl have been a wealth of useful information if required.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — all good
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family