“An enjoyable B&B stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
12, Belford Terrace
Ranked #188 of 391 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“An enjoyable B&B stay”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

For those who are planning to stay in Carolyn's house and will be arriving in Edinburgh via train, please make sure you take the train to the Haymarket Station which is a short 10 minutes walk away from her house. If you're arriving in Edinburgh via plane, then take the express Airlink busses to the Haymarket stop and walk to her house.

If your train stops at Waverley Station (which was the case for me as I made the mistake of booking the train ticket before I settled my Edinburgh accommodation), you'll have to either take a taxi or a bus from Waverley Station to get to Carolyn's house. The bus ride takes less than 15 minutes.

As highlighted by other reviewers, this house is just a short 15 minutes walk to west end of Prince Street. The Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art is just across the street from Carolyn's house.

My initial booking with Carolyn was for a single room with a private bathroom next door to it. However, upon arrival, Carolyn provided me the beautifully decorated double bedroom with a view of the house garden and lush greenery beyond the garden. The en-suite bathroom was equipped with Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries.

I found the room to be so cosy and comfortable that I just want to laze in the room instead of going out to explore Edinburgh. As the weather was unusually cold this March, I was glad that the room had central heating and an electric blanket. Another lovely touch that Carolyn provided in the room is the pretty tea-set that came with tea bags, coffee sachets, sugar, milk and a tin of assorted cookies. I soon developed a ritual of boiling hot water in the evening to enjoy a cup of hot tea while munching on the cookies as I watch the tv programs.

During my stay with Carolyn, she kept me well-fed with her daily breakfast of yogurt, cereal/muesli, stewed fruits, wholegrain bread with cooked breakfast (bacon, sausage, egg, tomato and mushroom)!! I love the interaction with Carolyn every morning during breakfast time as she has many interesting stories to share about her life experiences in Kenya, Washington DC etc...

Her house is filled with many interesting art pieces (of which some are actually drawn/painted by her son) and photos that gives so much character to her house.

Do note that there are two dogs in her house and they are very well behaved. :) If you're a dog lover, I'm sure you'll be instantly charmed by her two lovely dogs.

I would definitely return to stay at Carolyn's house if I ever visit Edinburgh in future.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank CelineT17

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Elkin, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Beautiful room, quite, great breakfast Carolyn was very helpful. We felt very much as home enjoyed everything about this B & B. It was a great way to start our trip. Would stay there again. Lelia G

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We have just spent 2 nights at this wonderful B&B. Carolyn could not have been more helpful. We took all 3 rooms for a family of 5. The breakfast was delicious. The location is perfect, 15 minutes walk to Princes Street.
I would highly recommend this B&B for any visit to Edinburgh.

Room Tip: The rooms looking over the garden have amazing windows.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Lake Oswego
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We stayed 3 nights at the beginning of our vacation at Carolyn's B and B and 3 nights before leaving to go home. Both stays were delightfully comfortable. The breakfasts were hearty and so delicious.Carolyn was so helpful with advice and arranging for taxis; she made us feel so at home.
I will recommend this B and B to all our friends!

Room Tip: The ensuite room has a wonderful view of the garden and is very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Zilina, Slovakia
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Our room was beautiful and breakfast was delicious. Carolyn was very friendly and caring.
Everything was absolutely amazing, we really enjoyed our stay.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Mumbai
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stayed for 2 nights at 12 Belford Terrace. It was a very comfortable stay. Carolyn is a warm and lovely host. The room was spacious with an ensuite. The breakfast was excellent. The location too is pretty good. About a 10 - 12 min walk from one end of princess street. We enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Peissenberg
Reviewed 15 February 2010

If you are looking for a lovely and cozy place - choose Belford Terrace! Singles get the room which is overlooking the garden. You have TV, tea facilites, hair dryer. Bathroom is not en-suite, but right beside your room. Your host has dogs but I fell head over heels for this place and stayed there 2 times. And will definitely choose it again and again and again.
Walking distance into town: 15 to 20 minutes, but you can stroll along the Water of Leith and forget everything. I just love Edinburgh!!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled solo