“Lovely homely hostel, but remember your warm pyjamas!”
Review of Argyle Backpackers

Argyle Backpackers
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed here for 1 night in April 2014. The hostel has a lovely welcoming feel and I would have been happy to stay longer. The hostess and the other guests were all very friendly. There is a very comfortable lounge with games, a book shelf, and there are CDs and a piano in the conservatory.
The only problem was the quilts on the beds were very small and thin, so not warm enough. I slept in my clothes. I woke up the middle of the night to find that I was the only one in the room (although the hostess was definitely expecting more people to arrive) so I was able to take a quilt off another bed as well.
The toilets and showers were clean and good but didn’t seem to be very many – I imagine if the hostel was full you might find yourself queuing for a short time. However, this wasn’t a problem for me.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in a private room at the Argyle Backpackers Hostel for one night. We booked on-line and had no issue getting our room on arrival. We stayed in the second location, which we did not know until we arrived but it was just down the street.
Our room was lovely. We had a comfortable double bed, TV with cable, free wifi and a shared bathroom. The hostel was fairly empty so sharing the bathroom was not an issue. There was a full bathroom on every floor and only 1-3 rooms on each floor.
I've stayed in various hostels around the world and this is definitely one of my favourites.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ClaireBanana
Reviewed 30 March 2014

3 of us had booked the triple room at Argyle Backpackers and had a great time visiting Edinburgh. The staff went out of their way on several occasions adding a personal touch to our stay - they let us in a few hours before the check-in time because the room was ready, and they let us stay at the cozy reception for a few hours after the check-out because we had a couple of hours to kill before the journey back. The hostel is located away from all the city noise, and still just a 15 minute walk to the city center. There are quite a few hot spots around the hostel if you want to grab food/drinks etc (Argyle Bar is just next door, Victor Hugo had great coffee, The Abbey nearby has great breakfast, The Reverie has great selection of whiskies/food). The start of the hike to Arther's Seat is quite nearby, and there are loads of bus connections to the Pentland hills not very far from the hostel.

Overall a great experience - will definitely go back in again if we get a chance!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Me and my friends decided to visit Edinburgh for a couple of days and we decided to stay at AB. Great staff, nice atmosphere and would recommend to anyone. Kitchen nice and clean. Bathrooms in good condition. Stayed in 3 single bed room on top floor. City worth visiting as well.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here after a lengthy trip throughout most of Europe. I would say with absolute confidence that out of all the hostels or backpackers we stayed in, this was the best. It is a breezy ten minute walk to Old Town through The Meadows, but is tucked away in a quiet relaxing spot. Compared to other backpackers overcrowded with people running through hallways drunk, yelling, etc this was the complete opposite, The staff were extremely approachable and helpful in every aspect.

Room Tip: Catch a cab or taxi from the train station or where the bus drops you off in the city. It saves a lo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I'm just after checking out after my 4 night stay here and am now enjoying the peace and quiet of the TV room. AB is, without a doubt, one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in.

Perks:
-6-bedroom dorms instead of those cramped 10, 12, and up ones. Plus, the actual room was HUGE! Floor-to-ceiling windows, bookshelves everywhere, desks, and in-room lockers give an all-around cozy feel.
-free tea/coffee round the clock
-nicely appointed kitchen. Don't you hate when you're traveling and you want to cook something, but you can't find a garlic press? Not a problem here! Kitchen also had an adjacent sunroom for porch dining, which was lovely when sunny.
-HOT showers. A must in Edinburgh in February. Shared bathrooms with only one shower per might leave some people annoyed. I find it more homey (and private) than a dorm-style bath.
-Reliable Wifi. Available throughout the hostel, including rooms and common rooms.
-Great location. Right outside the Meadows, it's just a quick (30 min) bus ride from the airport and walking distance to most tourist attractions, including the Royal Mile and Arthur's Seat.
-Printing is available too! (Helpful for boarding pass blunders and directions.)

The staff were great, offering helpful hints on everything from where to dine and safety for single, female travelers. They emailed me explicit directions for what to do with a late check-in and I had no problems because of their foresight. They are friendly and easy-going, lending a more congenial vibe to the place.

Two different guests were returning to Edinburgh after spending time in other parts of Scotland and both couldn't praise AB enough, saying the hostels in other parts were dismal. If I ever return here, I'll definitely stay at the Argyle Backpacker! I honestly can't think of a single, negative thing to say!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Argyle Backpackers during the Fringe Festival. It was a nice stay - the hostel was a bit of a walk from the train station and I had a lot of luggage, which was quite difficult; otherwise, it was in a decent area. We found it odd the the check in wasn't in the same building as the one we stayed in, and had to drag our cases around with us to several buildings and up a lot of stairs. We stayed in a double room which supposedly had an ensuite bathroom, but the shower was on another floor and other people had access to the washroom. It's not the end of the world, but it was just a bit strange as it had been advertised as an ensuite, so that's what we expected when we got there. The price may have been jacked up as we stayed during the Fringe Festival, so it was more expensive than I'd have liked - but in comparison to other establishments, it was a good deal. It's a good stay for people under the age of 25, but it's most definitely not to the standard of a chain hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple