“Beautiful Building - Small Rooms”
Review of Belford Hostel

Belford Hostel
Ranked #162 of 218 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We went to Belford during the International Festival in the city, so everything else was booked. This hostel is a converted church - a beautiful historic building. However, the rooms were extremely small. Barely big enough for our luggage. The room and bathroom were both quite clean. However, there was no hot water in the shower when I went.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 August 2011

The staff was average. Some were nice, some seemed indeferent. We had an en-suite room (yes, they have that). We prefered the privacy (had also read other reviews of dorms). Unfortunately, it was difficult to fall asleep due to the noisy partying by the staff and other guests. Even though we were not that near the commonroom. Also, the bathroom was not that impressive, The toilet took about 45 minutes to fill the cistern. This doesn't really work when you are a couple, unless you close your eyes and think happy thoughts. It was nice, though, that they offered to store our luggage 2 hours prior to check-in.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Staying in this hostel was not a pleasant experience. I was staying in a 6 bed room and basically the beds were one above the other there was very very little vital space, yet it was so cold I could not sleep as I was waking up shivering all the time. The showers are miles away and you need to go down down down and there they are are, are they clean? They are decent but they get busy very quickly as I think they are just 5 or 6 showers for so many people. Overall it has not been a good experience even if the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2011

We travelled all in Scotland and that is the only horrible hostel we got during our trip.
Only 2 toilets for at least 38 beds! no distinction between male or female, so I can let you imagine...
Very very noisy and be aware the noise was mainly made by the staff itself who was partying close to our bedroom... not the residents.
The female bathroom were just impossible. The wesite is showing you nice bedrooms with windows we stayed in something that did not look at all like a bedroom.

Room Tip: Only for junkies
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 January 2011

After looking for a cheap stay in Edinburgh we decided on the Belford hostel (the cheapest in Edinburgh!) and only after booking we noticed all the negative comments the place has got but went ahead anyway, I mean how bad can it be.

Many of the negative reviews focused on cold and noisy rooms but the room we stayed in and many others I saw now had roofs, which made the rooms quiet, warm and toasty thanks to a marvelous little heater. Only downside would be that the beautiful roof and atmosphere of the church is gone slightly but you can't have everything.

Staff were friendly also, the Aussie workaholic behind reception who seems to work all day everyday was really cool.
Only complaint would be that we bought food for ourselves and cooked in the kitchen and when a friend of ours was looking for cling-film one of the staff (maybe the manager) came over and told us off for raiding the cupboards and was attacking us for stealing food! when that clearly was not the case. Her attitude was awful, like she wanted to fight with someone so maybe she just had a bad day? I've worked in hostels before and could not imagine treating guests in such a way.

Other slight downfalls where you have to strip off before you enter the shower (might be uncomfortable for some) and freeze for a few minutes hammering at the button to get water out before it gets warm.
Also there is no room keys and the door code never changed during our stay so its more than possible anyone could come in if they knew this code.

But if your looking for a cheap stay in Edinburgh with character then its really worth the 6 pounds.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gavincredible
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Like most reviewers I have mixed feelings about this place. The church building itself is lovely, but the fact that you share the church room with around 100 people divided by partition walls only makes it a long, loud night! Earplugs help though.
It was also quite cold at the end of August and I could imagine it gets freezing in the winter. I was told they hand out double duvets then - brrr.
I haven't seen the kitchen/bar area but my friends told me it was quite nice.
One big letdown is the lack of cleanliness in the toilets and bathrooms - the smell of the toilets was disgusting and why they put those manky bathmats in front of the showers instead of plastic ones I don't know. Another thing that it quite annoying is the fact that you can't lock anything away and the lockers cost dearly (I think £4 per day). That's a ripoff! It's an absolute basic in any hostel that you can lock away your belongings for free.
So I wouldn't really recommend the hostel unless you're on a tight budget and don't really mind where you sleep as long as the bed is clean and you get a hot shower. Which at least is the case.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 September 2010

I stayed in Belford Hostel on 3-5 September 2010, in female dorm
The hostel is good, the facilities is really ok but the staff is not as friendly as I hope
I did a mistake not in purpose, rang the bell three times just because I didnt read the notes beside the bell and one of staff got angry at me. They supposed to advise the guest how to use the important facility because not everybody familiar with the technology.
Thank you anyway...!
I love Edinburgh city....
Please be friendly next time

-Patra