“There's basic, and then there's just not worth it”
Review of Belford Hostel

Belford Hostel
Ranked #143 of 205 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“There's basic, and then there's just not worth it”
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I do not understand all the good, current reviews on here. The Belford Hostel gave me the impression of being a well-liked and well maintained place up to 5 years ago. Since then, something must have happened, like a change of management or something and standards appear to have dropped, sadly. There is a very odd atmosphere in the building, not as open as you would expect in a hostel. The walls of the common room are a sad witness to social actvities of past years with nothing current. No renovations seem to have been undertaken for a good couple of years.
The idea of having a hostel inside a church sounds better than it actually is but much could be improved with relatively little effort. Views of the old church are usually spoiled by some sort of clutter. Dorms are exceptionally small and terribly dark with bad ventilation. But over and above that, standards of cleanliness and professional conduct leave much to be desired. The showers and laundry rooms in the basement are where cleanliness goes to die. I couldn't do my laundry because staff were supposed to catch up with the hostel's laundry. That didn't happen...I could have done 5 loads in the time the machines stood still, with sheets just lying in a heap on the grimy floor. My locker was broken and staff really couldn't be bothered to do anything about it. I will not be returning and would encourage anyone to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: 'dorms' are just normal size rooms crammed full with beds
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sneugle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Absolutely loved it! Staff was very kind and had the best time ever! certainly going back soon!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This was pretty cool! A church converted into backpackers accomodation! We stayed in a 6 bed dorm which was a bit cramped but i didnr mind! Great kitchen, bar, hot showers and only a 5-10 minute walk to town!

• Stayed June 2012
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 June 2012

It's neat that it's in an old church, but the location is terrible. It's a good 30 minute walk into the city centre. There's hardly anywhere nearby to even grab a quick bite. And it's quite hard to find. Not ideal for a night out unless you fancy wandering about for a good half hour in the wee hours of the night.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
london
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I always read these things with a bit of scepticism so I will give you the truth and nothing but the truth. Firstly I called and talked to manager, Sherrelyn about my stay there as I was concerned because I'm a very very light sleeper. She put me at ease and I feel told me the truth which was very refreshing. My first night I was in a single room and it was great. Bed: comfortable, room: clean, space: enough for my huge suitcase and then some. There was only really one thing that I could say wasn't great was the door to the hall slammed but once asleep I actually didn't hear it. 2nd night there was a bit of confusion on my end and Sherrelyn went above and beyond to help me out ended up with a twin room6. Now I do have to say that as far as the room goes it was at the same level as the single. Only problem was it was very noisy because of the thin walls, wood stairs, slamming door and the common room. Could hear the chainsaw sleeper in the room next to me as if he was actually next to me. Once again a slamming door, this to the common room. Which also let all the noise in every time it opened and even when not. The stairs are wood so of course when they are run down it's loud. On my last night I was due to sleep in a single again but couldn't be bothered to move. So it must not have been that horrible plus a sleeping pill and ear plugs didn't hurt. This is an old church so it wasn't exactly made with sound proofing and I accepted that.
As far as the bathrooms were concerned they always seemed clean except for the inconsiderate user who would block the toilet. But I can't hold that against the hostel just the dirty people who were obviously raised in a barn. I mean what are they supposed to do check it every time someone goes the bathroom?!
The staff were really knowledgeable, leading me to good attractions and which ones to avoid. They were really nice as well and went out of their way to help you out if you needed.
The location was a little bit far (25 min. walk) from the heart of it all than I would have liked but I'm sure it's not problem when there isn't road work ripping up the bus routes that would have taken you there. And a bus ride is cheap.
The price was right as Edinburgh isn't the cheapest place in the world to say, especially on a weekend.
Just keep in mind that this is a hostel not a hotel so don't expect it to be like one. But as far as hostels go this is a great one. I hope this helps you make up your mind.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 6 & 7 if you're a light sleeper otherwise they are fine.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank nicolewsd
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Employees were helpful, but bathrooms were not clean.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dundee
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Belford Hostel is housed within a former church and it is an unusual conversion - the majority of the dorms and rooms lie within a long wooden prefab-type structure that runs the length of the main hall. Others - the ones with external windows - are built into the arches down the side of the hall. I was staying in a six bed dorm in the central structure. It was a small room but it was clean and cosy. My bed was comfortable and my locker was large enough to take my stuff.
I was staying in February and while the dorm and the common room downstairs were warm, the main corridors, toilets and shower room were pretty chilly.
Due to the construction of the dorms, noise travels easily between rooms. It was pretty quiet during my stay but if the hostel is busy and you sleep lightly take earplugs.
The common room and kitchen were clean and well equipped. Good wifi (which worked fine in my dorm room too) plus a TV room, bar, internet terminals and pool table. Outside there is a small BBQ/smoking area. Breakfast - tea and toast - is available at extra charge, as are towels and luggage storage.
Toilets and shower room were spotlessly clean, water was hot and showers were good.
Security is good. Front door has a key panel entry system and reception is manned until 3am. Each dorm has a lock and you get a key ring with both a room key and locker key on it (£10 returnable deposit).
Staff were excellent - really friendly and helpful.
The church has some great original features - stonework, stained glass windows, etc, and it is a very atmospheric place to stay.
The only downside for me was the distance from the city centre. It is a good 20 minute walk from the west end of Princes Street. On a more positive note, however, it is only 10 minutes walk from Haymarket Station for those arriving by train.

Room Tip: Book one of the smaller dorms (four bed) or a private room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo