“Don't knock it”

Ranked #139 of 204 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
England, United Kingdom
“Don't knock it”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

For the cheap price I was expecting something aweful but when I arrived I found a clean, comfortable and friendly place to stay. While other's have pointed out that there was a lack of toilets I found this never affected me as I wasn't in the hostel for most of the day. The showers were lovely and warm with good pressure (better the hotels I've stayed in). The wreck room and kitchen were better than expected as well. There was a full kitchen, bar, TV room, pool table etc. The whole place was painted and decorated with flags and pictures adding to the atmosphere. The staff were friendly and helpful.

The only downside was the other people staying there. Aside from the obvious problem of people snoring the addition of wifi meant that some guests wouldn't talk to the other people staying there. I often found myself having great conversations with people from all over the world only to find out they were staff. This, however, did not put me off as it added to the experience.

It should be noted that the hostel is roughly 40 minutes walking distance away from the old town, where the fringe is mainly situated. I found this didn't affect my day much as I got some exercise and a better understanding of Edinburgh. I now know the city well enough that I could find my way around next year when I return to stay in the Belford.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

The hostel is a converted church, with the rooms all lacking an outside window. After a night with 6 people in a very small room, it gets VERY hot and uncomfortable.

The facilities are very basic with only 4 loos for the entire place (plus 2 urinals for the gents) and 4 showers for each gender. Nevertheless, I had no problems accessing any facility when I wanted. The showers were not brilliant, taking several minutes to get hot, and needing the button pushed every 5 seconds to keep the water flowing.

Overall, the Belford is decent for the price and excellent for the location- a very good car-park just across the road for £7 per day, and then 10 minutes walk to Princes Street and the centre of town. While I wouldn't use this place if I were travelling alone (I'd always use a hotel) it was a decent place to kip down for a couple of nights during the festival, and I'd recommend it to a backpacker. No frills, just a bed and facilities.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I do not understand all the good, current reviews on here. The Belford Hostel gave me the impression of being a well-liked and well maintained place up to 5 years ago. Since then, something must have happened, like a change of management or something and standards appear to have dropped, sadly. There is a very odd atmosphere in the building, not as open as you would expect in a hostel. The walls of the common room are a sad witness to social actvities of past years with nothing current. No renovations seem to have been undertaken for a good couple of years.
The idea of having a hostel inside a church sounds better than it actually is but much could be improved with relatively little effort. Views of the old church are usually spoiled by some sort of clutter. Dorms are exceptionally small and terribly dark with bad ventilation. But over and above that, standards of cleanliness and professional conduct leave much to be desired. The showers and laundry rooms in the basement are where cleanliness goes to die. I couldn't do my laundry because staff were supposed to catch up with the hostel's laundry. That didn't happen...I could have done 5 loads in the time the machines stood still, with sheets just lying in a heap on the grimy floor. My locker was broken and staff really couldn't be bothered to do anything about it. I will not be returning and would encourage anyone to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: 'dorms' are just normal size rooms crammed full with beds
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sneugle

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Absolutely loved it! Staff was very kind and had the best time ever! certainly going back soon!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This was pretty cool! A church converted into backpackers accomodation! We stayed in a 6 bed dorm which was a bit cramped but i didnr mind! Great kitchen, bar, hot showers and only a 5-10 minute walk to town!

• Stayed June 2012
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 June 2012

It's neat that it's in an old church, but the location is terrible. It's a good 30 minute walk into the city centre. There's hardly anywhere nearby to even grab a quick bite. And it's quite hard to find. Not ideal for a night out unless you fancy wandering about for a good half hour in the wee hours of the night.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
london
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I always read these things with a bit of scepticism so I will give you the truth and nothing but the truth. Firstly I called and talked to manager, Sherrelyn about my stay there as I was concerned because I'm a very very light sleeper. She put me at ease and I feel told me the truth which was very refreshing. My first night I was in a single room and it was great. Bed: comfortable, room: clean, space: enough for my huge suitcase and then some. There was only really one thing that I could say wasn't great was the door to the hall slammed but once asleep I actually didn't hear it. 2nd night there was a bit of confusion on my end and Sherrelyn went above and beyond to help me out ended up with a twin room6. Now I do have to say that as far as the room goes it was at the same level as the single. Only problem was it was very noisy because of the thin walls, wood stairs, slamming door and the common room. Could hear the chainsaw sleeper in the room next to me as if he was actually next to me. Once again a slamming door, this to the common room. Which also let all the noise in every time it opened and even when not. The stairs are wood so of course when they are run down it's loud. On my last night I was due to sleep in a single again but couldn't be bothered to move. So it must not have been that horrible plus a sleeping pill and ear plugs didn't hurt. This is an old church so it wasn't exactly made with sound proofing and I accepted that.
As far as the bathrooms were concerned they always seemed clean except for the inconsiderate user who would block the toilet. But I can't hold that against the hostel just the dirty people who were obviously raised in a barn. I mean what are they supposed to do check it every time someone goes the bathroom?!
The staff were really knowledgeable, leading me to good attractions and which ones to avoid. They were really nice as well and went out of their way to help you out if you needed.
The location was a little bit far (25 min. walk) from the heart of it all than I would have liked but I'm sure it's not problem when there isn't road work ripping up the bus routes that would have taken you there. And a bus ride is cheap.
The price was right as Edinburgh isn't the cheapest place in the world to say, especially on a weekend.
Just keep in mind that this is a hostel not a hotel so don't expect it to be like one. But as far as hostels go this is a great one. I hope this helps you make up your mind.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 6 & 7 if you're a light sleeper otherwise they are fine.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo