“A flea pit!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #131 of 214 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A flea pit!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed here in a large group during edinburgh fringe festival but wished we had stayed in a bus shelter instead. The rooms are ridiculously cramped - enough sleeping space to sleep 8, however, only 3 could stand up in the tiny floor space at any one time!
The place was dirty and from our party of 16, 7 had bites all over them the next day!
Also, I booked this hostel and paid in full on my company debit card. I rarely use this card and this was the only place (including online) that my card had been used in the last 6 months. Two weeks later - my card showed unusual transactions totalling over £200 to a foreign agent. Fortunately, the bank refunded my money after the Police were informed. I'm legally obliged to say that i am in way suggesting that The Belford Hostel had anything to do with this fraud but I am suspicious of other people in the premises who may have somehow gleaned this information either from inside the premises or the bins outside?
Definitely do not stay here - it is hellish!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed with a group of international students over from France. We left with bed bug bites, there was a rat in the girls dorm room and the overall standard was shocking.

I had to complain to reception that someone had 'locked' the fire exit, there was so much rubbish on the stairs it was a hazard.

The breakfast was foul. The entire visit was shockingly bad.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

this hostel is just falling to bits. a private room is not meant to consist of bunk beds, rickety at that, shoved in the corner of a mould ridden box room in the basement with peeling wallpaper and a lock that was falling off the door, room 3 if you re interested. thankfully we only stayed one night as the mattresses are rock hard also. absolutely grim.

• Stayed June 2013
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

We found cheap flights and decided to tour around Scotland for a few days. We didn't have much time to book accommodation (only got the flights less than three weeks prior to the trip), so we had little accomodation choices. The Belford Hostel soundedinteresting (being a converted church and all) and it was affordable, too. Knowing that we were travelling on a tight budget, we chose this hostel. We booked four nights in an 8-bed dorm through Hostelworld, and the reviews did not sound all too bad there.

The hostel is very close to all the sightseeings and looks very cool from the outside. The check-in went smoothly, and the staff was nice. However, our room was just dark, hot, humid, and very, very small, which is probably why It felt like an oven in there despite the coldness outside. We decided to spend as little time as we could in our room and went downstairs to the common room.

The common room was very spacious with lots of decoration on the walls. The tables were not clean, and used cutlery and plates were lying around. The kitchen was not any better. Travelling on a tight budget we wanted to cook meals ourselves to save money. However, after seeing the kitchen we both decided that cooking was not an option in that hostel. I know that the hostel was cheap, but the kitchen was really disgusting. We wanted to put a bottle into the fridge once, and I remember closing it immediately after smelling something that surely has been in there for weeks (even though a sign on the fridge door says that they clean it out weekly). The fridge was also very dirty (leftovers on the outside and insides of the fridge walls).

We had a hard time using the bathrooms as well. I can only describe them as being disgustingly dirty. The showers weren't any better (I was even considering to use public showers at train stations). We always tried to shower as quickly as possible and touch as little as we could.

Unfortunately, there are very little positive things to find, and too many negative things to say. Cleanliness is very important, and this hostel horribly failed in that field. Even if the stay was cheap, I would at least expect some cleanliness.

Room Tip: If you can, don't stay here at all!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Louny, Czech Republic
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

There were just two of us, me and my friend, but we still had a problem to fit all our things into the room. It was very small, without any table or closet. We had to leave our suitcases on the floor and had to sit on the bed. Also, the staff was not too friendly. The receptionist who was there when we were checking out was very, very rude. My friend (we both are non-English native speakers) made a mistake and said British pound instead of Scottish and the lady started correcting her, quoting a geographical facts about the UK and how is Scotland separate etc. I don´t deny anybody the right for their own state or autonomy but this was VERY rude, especially when you say to your guest and a *customer* that he is an idiot. My friend left angry and annoyed and said that if we will ever go back, not into this hostel. Also, one shower per floor, when some people are not able to clean their own mess, is really not the greatest idea. Nice building and a decent walking distance from a train station but still very far from the center. I can´t really recommend this place, not to smaller groups of people, couple or a family.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Unless you're a sixteen year old guy who loves rugby paraphenalia, pin up posters, and framed postcards of streets that have the word 'cock' in them, forget this hostel. The common room (which is just the dining room, unless you want to watch TV - the only couches are in the TV room and you're not allowed to be in there unless you're watching TV) has terrible electronic music blaring, even at breakfast time. I asked the reception to turn it down and she was very rude about it, heaving a big groan and rolling her eyes. She reacted the same when I asked about the laundry service they advertise. She said she had to do a 'smelly old man's' laundry first. Not a very professional attitude. The rooms are tiny, and the hallways stunk of spraypaint as they're doing murals of faceless begging women, teddybears hanging themselves (I swear I'm not making this up) and people getting butt tattoos. What a shame that this beautiful building has turned into such a ridiculous place. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

I was disappointed! Though it was a converted church, the eerie feeling was existed in the accommodation. My wife was feeling very uneasy throughout the stay. The room was stuffy! The toilets was away from the room. Need to walk to the kitchen to surf the WI FI and the it wasnt good. I got to use my mobile data to surf the net! It was quite a distance to walk from the main road to the Belford Hostel. The reception is only available till 1am (UK time) only and starts 8am in the morning.

Room Tip: Suit for youngsters (18 - 25) in a group
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple