“A fairly good PRIVATE room”
Review of Belford Hostel

Belford Hostel
Ranked #141 of 205 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
Ramah, New Mexico
“A fairly good PRIVATE room”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

It was ok, but I would only recommend the private double room. The privates are separate from the dorms and we had two bathrooms available one on each end of the hall, one with a beautiful clean shower. The communal room is very large with a bar. Our room was clean, bug free and quiet. Good location to Haymarket Rail station and we were able to walk to the Castle. Had a great time on Royal mile. Most of the staff was cool with one exception.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Trento, Italy
Reviewed 28 September 2013

First: very very little space. I was in the 6-beds mixed dorm and there was just no place to stand, the beds were so packed together that I had to climb the stairs of another bed to get into mine. Plus there were no racks, no shelves, nothing where you could effectively put your stuff, only a locker - which is great, but where can you put your wet-after-shower towel to dry? Over your clean, dry T-shirts?!. I have slept in loads of alpine huts and lodges and I had much more vital space. Plus, doors and lockers need oiling, they make terrible, terrible noise every time you open them, thus disturbing every other person around. Bed linen weren't very clean, either. The worst thing of all, though, was the fact that they changed the security code while I was away and when I got back I didn't have the new code, so I was locked out. It was 2.30 in the morning, it hasn't been nice at all (luckily the kitchen has a window on the street and there were two boys in it - I shouted for them and they opened up - but it was sheer luck!). I do not plan to come here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed here in a large group during edinburgh fringe festival but wished we had stayed in a bus shelter instead. The rooms are ridiculously cramped - enough sleeping space to sleep 8, however, only 3 could stand up in the tiny floor space at any one time!
The place was dirty and from our party of 16, 7 had bites all over them the next day!
Also, I booked this hostel and paid in full on my company debit card. I rarely use this card and this was the only place (including online) that my card had been used in the last 6 months. Two weeks later - my card showed unusual transactions totalling over £200 to a foreign agent. Fortunately, the bank refunded my money after the Police were informed. I'm legally obliged to say that i am in way suggesting that The Belford Hostel had anything to do with this fraud but I am suspicious of other people in the premises who may have somehow gleaned this information either from inside the premises or the bins outside?
Definitely do not stay here - it is hellish!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed with a group of international students over from France. We left with bed bug bites, there was a rat in the girls dorm room and the overall standard was shocking.

I had to complain to reception that someone had 'locked' the fire exit, there was so much rubbish on the stairs it was a hazard.

The breakfast was foul. The entire visit was shockingly bad.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

this hostel is just falling to bits. a private room is not meant to consist of bunk beds, rickety at that, shoved in the corner of a mould ridden box room in the basement with peeling wallpaper and a lock that was falling off the door, room 3 if you re interested. thankfully we only stayed one night as the mattresses are rock hard also. absolutely grim.

• Stayed June 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We found cheap flights and decided to tour around Scotland for a few days. We didn't have much time to book accommodation (only got the flights less than three weeks prior to the trip), so we had little accomodation choices. The Belford Hostel soundedinteresting (being a converted church and all) and it was affordable, too. Knowing that we were travelling on a tight budget, we chose this hostel. We booked four nights in an 8-bed dorm through Hostelworld, and the reviews did not sound all too bad there.

The hostel is very close to all the sightseeings and looks very cool from the outside. The check-in went smoothly, and the staff was nice. However, our room was just dark, hot, humid, and very, very small, which is probably why It felt like an oven in there despite the coldness outside. We decided to spend as little time as we could in our room and went downstairs to the common room.

The common room was very spacious with lots of decoration on the walls. The tables were not clean, and used cutlery and plates were lying around. The kitchen was not any better. Travelling on a tight budget we wanted to cook meals ourselves to save money. However, after seeing the kitchen we both decided that cooking was not an option in that hostel. I know that the hostel was cheap, but the kitchen was really disgusting. We wanted to put a bottle into the fridge once, and I remember closing it immediately after smelling something that surely has been in there for weeks (even though a sign on the fridge door says that they clean it out weekly). The fridge was also very dirty (leftovers on the outside and insides of the fridge walls).

We had a hard time using the bathrooms as well. I can only describe them as being disgustingly dirty. The showers weren't any better (I was even considering to use public showers at train stations). We always tried to shower as quickly as possible and touch as little as we could.

Unfortunately, there are very little positive things to find, and too many negative things to say. Cleanliness is very important, and this hostel horribly failed in that field. Even if the stay was cheap, I would at least expect some cleanliness.

Room Tip: If you can, don't stay here at all!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Louny, Czech Republic
Reviewed 29 June 2013

There were just two of us, me and my friend, but we still had a problem to fit all our things into the room. It was very small, without any table or closet. We had to leave our suitcases on the floor and had to sit on the bed. Also, the staff was not too friendly. The receptionist who was there when we were checking out was very, very rude. My friend (we both are non-English native speakers) made a mistake and said British pound instead of Scottish and the lady started correcting her, quoting a geographical facts about the UK and how is Scotland separate etc. I don´t deny anybody the right for their own state or autonomy but this was VERY rude, especially when you say to your guest and a *customer* that he is an idiot. My friend left angry and annoyed and said that if we will ever go back, not into this hostel. Also, one shower per floor, when some people are not able to clean their own mess, is really not the greatest idea. Nice building and a decent walking distance from a train station but still very far from the center. I can´t really recommend this place, not to smaller groups of people, couple or a family.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends