“BELFORD HOSTEL!!”
Review of Belford Hostel

Belford Hostel
Ranked #158 of 217 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 July 2014

yes,ıt was not luxuriousI,but it was really historical and different hostel for me.doing a church hostel is a very sensible idea.ı like it!! mystic ambiance of the hostel made me happy!I will remember this hostel every time!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 June 2014

If you don't like walking, this is not the hostel for you, but personally I like walking, especially round a beautiful city like Edinburgh.
Wasn't left wanting anything. Great kitchen facilities and even a TV with sky sports, so you won't miss any sporting action

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2014

A church converted into a hostel.... what else can you ask for.... A pocket friendly accommodation perfect for an outing with friends. The staff was friendly and the rooms were clean. Though it is not in the best location... but everything else about it is gr8. Well maintained and offers comparatively cheaper drinks at its bar! The art done on each wall is worth looking at. If you looking for a cheap stay with friends, this is the place! go for it ppl!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I booked this hostel for 2 nights. The night before I was to go there, I called to ask how much I would lose if I were to (a) cancel the booking for both nights or (b) cancel for the first night and instead book for an additional third night. I was told that in both cases, I will lose the money for the first night. I will also have to pay in full for the third night if I chose the second option. Given this information, I decided that I will cancel and not go to the hostel at all as my lose will be only the money for first night. However, I was later charged for both nights. I was then told that this information was there on T&C on hostelworld.com. As far as I am concerned, the information I was given by the staff members at a date later than the booking should override the T&C. However, the hostel stopped communicating with me when I asked them why I was given a wrong information over the phone. Lost money for both nights. Extremely upset with being given false information and very very disappointed with the lack of support over the email.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

You'd think it would be a cool idea to stay in a big church remade into a hostel... But it was more strange and uncomfortable than cool. The walls were painted horribly into weird scenes that added to the feeling of "what the hell is going on?..." The rooms were made from thin dry wall so you could hear everyone else coming and going... the common room was full of a dozen young guys playing RPG games on their laptops, it was very anti social. There was also a huge family or school group there of young kids aged 12 running around... No idea why they would be in such a strange place. The walls were decorated with hideous drawings and writing but it was done not in a junky-funky way.. Just junky. Also there was some clocks telling the time of places around the world and one said "Winnipeg". Who cares what time it is in Winnipeg??!? It was all just too weird... I'm glad we only stayed one night so we didn't see what went on during the weekend when things got wild

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Angela S
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My girlfriend and I had an absolutely wonderful stay at the Belford Hostel. The staff is super friendly and helpful. The room (double room, No. 5) was big, quiet, the bed was comfortable and we even had our own kettle (tea and instant coffee was also provided - free of charge). The hostel is situated near Edinburgh Haymarket, so a wee walk from the city centre, but definitely in walking distance (~20-25min). The community room is cosy and the kitchen clean and fully equipped. We can only recommend to stay there!

Room Tip: Room No. 5 (double room)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2014

If you're expecting to stay in a luxurious Hilton hotel, this is not for you. But if you're used to hostels, sharing a room, and a little noise, you'll feel completely fine here! The showers and facilities are clean, and for those who do not like to party and be kept up all evening from other's parties, this is the place to go. I've been to hostels where I couldn't sleep because of the loudness of the downstairs bar. This hostel has a bar, but the area that is shared with the kitchen area is used more for an internet cafe than a party scene.
The hostel is located a bit far from the main attractions, but if you don't mind a short walk it's fine.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends