“Not Bad”
Review of Belford Hostel

Belford Hostel
Ranked #159 of 217 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed 19 January 2011

After looking for a cheap stay in Edinburgh we decided on the Belford hostel (the cheapest in Edinburgh!) and only after booking we noticed all the negative comments the place has got but went ahead anyway, I mean how bad can it be.

Many of the negative reviews focused on cold and noisy rooms but the room we stayed in and many others I saw now had roofs, which made the rooms quiet, warm and toasty thanks to a marvelous little heater. Only downside would be that the beautiful roof and atmosphere of the church is gone slightly but you can't have everything.

Staff were friendly also, the Aussie workaholic behind reception who seems to work all day everyday was really cool.
Only complaint would be that we bought food for ourselves and cooked in the kitchen and when a friend of ours was looking for cling-film one of the staff (maybe the manager) came over and told us off for raiding the cupboards and was attacking us for stealing food! when that clearly was not the case. Her attitude was awful, like she wanted to fight with someone so maybe she just had a bad day? I've worked in hostels before and could not imagine treating guests in such a way.

Other slight downfalls where you have to strip off before you enter the shower (might be uncomfortable for some) and freeze for a few minutes hammering at the button to get water out before it gets warm.
Also there is no room keys and the door code never changed during our stay so its more than possible anyone could come in if they knew this code.

But if your looking for a cheap stay in Edinburgh with character then its really worth the 6 pounds.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gavincredible

Reviewed 15 September 2010

Like most reviewers I have mixed feelings about this place. The church building itself is lovely, but the fact that you share the church room with around 100 people divided by partition walls only makes it a long, loud night! Earplugs help though.
It was also quite cold at the end of August and I could imagine it gets freezing in the winter. I was told they hand out double duvets then - brrr.
I haven't seen the kitchen/bar area but my friends told me it was quite nice.
One big letdown is the lack of cleanliness in the toilets and bathrooms - the smell of the toilets was disgusting and why they put those manky bathmats in front of the showers instead of plastic ones I don't know. Another thing that it quite annoying is the fact that you can't lock anything away and the lockers cost dearly (I think £4 per day). That's a ripoff! It's an absolute basic in any hostel that you can lock away your belongings for free.
So I wouldn't really recommend the hostel unless you're on a tight budget and don't really mind where you sleep as long as the bed is clean and you get a hot shower. Which at least is the case.

Reviewed 10 September 2010

I stayed in Belford Hostel on 3-5 September 2010, in female dorm
The hostel is good, the facilities is really ok but the staff is not as friendly as I hope
I did a mistake not in purpose, rang the bell three times just because I didnt read the notes beside the bell and one of staff got angry at me. They supposed to advise the guest how to use the important facility because not everybody familiar with the technology.
Thank you anyway...!
I love Edinburgh city....
Please be friendly next time

-Patra
from indonesia

Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2010

ok so the good point about this hostel are..the locations in fine, about 15 mins walk from the city centre. The staff are very friendly although their english can be pretty bad.There were no bed bugs which is always a massive relief. The downsides of this hostel...its freezing 24/7, possibly because some of the windows are taped up with plastic and duct tape?! If you have to go to the toilet in the middle of the night its a freezing walk. Also the showers are nowhere near the dorms which is just annoying and there is absolutely no privacy in there because you have to strip off before you can get in the shower, which is fie is you dont mind people seeing you totally naked. Also, Wifi and breakfast are not provided which is pretty slack as most hostels do these days, its not like this place is any cheaper than others but it does lack these services. Wifi is not available even if you are happy to pay for it. The main issue with this hostel and I assure you is that its a HUGE issue, is that none of the dorm rooms have a roof. Which means you can hear everything from every single room. This includes hearing people having really loud sex as well as drunken antics ALL NIGHT LONG. The place is staffed 24/7 but they never do a walk thru the dorms to check on the noise levels. You will literally get no sleep. We even had stupid girls looking over their "wall" in to our room and just laughing etc for no reason. It was just pretty annoying. There is also no locker provided. We only took this place as a last resort because the Tattoo was on at the time. We would not return but at least there is no bed bugs...literally the noise was pretty unbearable I have no idea why they dont just cap the dorm rooms with a roof or get strict on quiet policies!

Reviewed 1 September 2010

I know hostels are about fun, and I had been warned about the lack of ceilings and locks in the dorms, so maybe I value my sleep and security more than I thought. The converted church is full of character, but the charm can soon be overlooked. When a bunch of guests rolled in at 4am and then continued to make noise for the next 2 hours, the place quickly lost its appeal. I never did find out who the culprits were, and the staff seemed pretty unconcerned the next morning, so maybe it really is just me.
I did see a couple follow another guest through the front door, with no staff on the front desk. Oh, and don't even attempt to check-in before 1pm, apparently it's on the website, as you will be told in no uncertain terms.
No problem with hot water though, as other reviewers have stated, and the walk from the city centre is pleasant enough if you go via Queensferry Street and along Belford Road.
For a single bloke, as a place to get a kip and a shower, this place would just about have sufficed; I'm pretty easy. When I then invited a friend (an "ex", as it happens) I was a bit embarrassed when we turned up at the Belford. On that basis, I shan't be recommending this place. Having said that, Edinburgh is just a superb place, which does make up for my disappointment at the hostel; the end of the Fringe and the weather (plus lozzing around in Princes St gardens, and the ballet, get me!!) were a superb way to spend a few days.

Reviewed 24 June 2010

Do not stay here!!

Arrived here on a Saturday after a long bus trip from Liverpool to find I wasn't booked in - although I had a confirmation number to prove it.
I was finally put in an "extra" mixed dorm room even though I had requested a female dorm, and it was grimy!

Didn't get a wink of sleep that night as the dorm walls are only partitions so you can hear EVERYTHING in the church. People were drinking, snoring, talking, smoking ALL night.
Police even showed up and were doing interviews with suspects re. a bar fight - and I heard every detail.

I checked out the next day to another hostel and will never ever be back!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2010

Staff were lovely, friendly, helpfull with advice made us feel welcome.
The rooms were very small, this wasnt an issue but the noise was I think the staff could have been more strict on groups that made alot of noise at 2 - 3 in the morning.
The living room, bar and kitchen facilities were spot on.
The showers and toilets could do with modernising tho for a short stay this place is ideal. Its in the west end of Edinburgh a little bit away from centre but was good to see this part of Edinburgh. Overall good experience just a few bits need improving and this place will be ideal xx

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family