We booked our stay here before reading the views. Once I'd read them I panicked. On arrival however, it turned out teh hostel was fine. I was in a room with 5 others, which overlooks a noisy bar. However it was only noisy on Saturday. The rest of the time I got a good night's sleep. The beds were ridiculously uncomfy of you slept on your back but if you rolled over the springs didnt matter! The only negative bit about the room other than that was that there was no where to hang clothes.
In our appartment there were about 20 of us sharing 2 bathrooms (which were clean) and a kitchen (which was also clean, if lacking in utensils). the location was fantastic , right next to the mile and a 5-10 min walk to the castle. also easy to get to from the airport (bus ride then 20min walk).
reception were also very helpful and there's free internet if you don't mind waiting.
so basically... dont go here if you're expecting luxury. probably best to go with lots of people you get on with. dont stay here if you want a romantic weekend for two.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A hostel with a difference! Our 168 bed hostel contains 12 individually lockable apartments all fully fitted with their own toilet, shower rooms and kitchen/lounge including an oven, microwave, fridge freezer, toaster, plates, dishes, cutlery and cooking pots. An apartment sleeps between 8 and 22 people in a combination of 4 and 6 bed dorms and twin or double rooms. That's 12 fully fitted kitchens and 17 shower rooms with toilets plus 12 separate private toilets! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Cowgate Tourist Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cowgate Tourist Hotel Edinburgh
- Cowgate Tourist Hostel Edinburgh, Scotland