“Don't go there”

Cowgate Tourist Hostel
Ranked #141 of 217 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 April 2013

If you want to visit Edinburgh for one week or a couple of days, don't go on this Hostel. I didn't know the meaning of hostel which means that's for student especially. By the way the cleanliness was horrible. I could look at under my bed and there were around 2 cm of dust. The staff didn't clean that at least 1 months ago. Happiness our sheets were clean. I remember we had to share our bedroom with others people especially girl. The price was really approachable but not for this statut. We had 1 bathroom in common for more than 12 people. Two toilets whose one was totally blocked. The next day the WC was repaired but the pump didn't work as well. The bathroom Oh My God, we could close that but we had to be strong if nobody want to go in. We had no heating in our bedroom (didn't work). I was wondering how people could be hot inside. Anyway I was really really disappointed about this accomodation and never I am going to be back on this kind of room.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 April 2013

I spent one night with friends. The Hostel had lost the key of the room so we had to leave our room unlocked, the restrooms were smelly and unclean. The location was great and for the price we paid I cant complain. The person who attended us upon arrival was nice and cared for our needs.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We stayed there with a couole of friends expecting nothing more than a clean place to drop off our and come back later for a "normal" night of sleep. We were devastated to find our rooms to be nothing more than a ruin with weird and strange people being all over the house. The ceiling in the bathroom had fallen into the shower and left Big hole with electric wires hanging out - no good at all, especially not in a room in which water is supposed to be used. Found myself walking the streets of Edinburgh in the early morning hours at dawn desperate to find suitable accommodation for me and my friends, which I was lucky enough to find at SMART a bit down the road. We got our deposit back after we had threatened to call the police as we really felt betrayed.
Please, dont ruin your stay in this beautiful city by staying in this "place".

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I stayed here for a week when I was moving to Edinburgh. I loved the location, walking distance to all the main attractions. Clubs and pubs all around and friendly people at reception. The rooms are cool and split up into individual apartments that I found interesting. The problem I had with this place is when I woke up late one day and saw the maid febreezing the beds instead of changing the sheets, yuck.

Room Tip: Ask for new sheets!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Despite all of the poor reviews on here, my friends and I actually found this hostel pretty reasonable. We were given clean linen and our room was also clean when we arrived. The bathrooms were reasonable as well - although there should have been one more for considering how many people were on our floor. It's main feature is it's location in that you can walk nearly anywhere in the city within 15-20 mins.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Outstandingly horrible - dirty sheets, music til 4am, revolting shower and loo. This would be acceptable but at £80 a room for 2 a double room it is a scandal. It's the nastiest place I have EVER stayed and that includes rooms that have cost me less than £1 a night around the world

Room Tip: If you stay at the back of the hostel you might not hear the music from the Club opposite until 4am
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2012

This place is the pits. Put me off hostels. No disabled access for guests either. Is the DDA not applicable in here? Disgraceful. Was tempted to stay in the hotel opposite after first night of my visit. Would not recommend this place to anyone

Room Tip: Inaccessible for the physically challenged
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends