“Fun Hostel with big rooms and Clean all round”

Cowgate Tourist Hostel
Ranked #145 of 211 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
Dublin, Ireland
“Fun Hostel with big rooms and Clean all round”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

After reading some previous reviews, my friends and I were sceptical about the hostel however we decided to take a chance and it was perfect for us. We came over from Dublin to take part in BUDS and from the outset the hostel was easy to find, clean and the staff were friendly. We spent 3 nights there and couldn't fault the place. It is perfect for college groups and trips away with friends, which was exactly the vibe we were looking for. I wouldn't recommend it to families or the older traveller but if you're a care free student or backpacker look no further!!

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be roughly the same however apartment 1 in flock 401 seemed to be the best noise w...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank 92Tim

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I was so worried about staying at Cowgate after reading the other reviews, however, I have to say that it really is not that bad at all. It's in a great location. My room was clean and comfortable. I liked the big sofa in the kitchen and the bathroom was clean. The girl on reception was lovely (if somewhat frazzled!) and gave me great advice on what to do with a free day.
The bad points were that it was noisy at night (take ear plugs), the fridge was a bit smelly and the stairs up to the flat were slippy (my friend fell down them).

Room Tip: I'd say go for the back of the hostel for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Beth H
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I always appreciate feedback from people on places to stay and I have to say that although this hostel is very basic it was perfect for a weekend away with friends. The staff were very friendly and willing to help with any questions or directions we needed. We went on the pub crawl which is run by the hostel and met some lovely poeple along the way. Overall a very positive experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank EmmaPLyons
Rockhampton, Australia
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stayed here on 2 separate nights a week apart between a tour that I did. It was clean and had good wifi. The bathroom facilities were good, except there was no place to put your clothes when you were showering. The staff were friendly and helpful. Try and get a room that does not face the 3 sisters if you want a decent nights sleep. I am a heavy sleeper and they were playing awesome music anyway, so it didn't bother me, but a lot of people were complaining about this. For a hostel I thought this place was good. You get what you pay for after all!

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing across the street if you are not a heavy sleeper! The bar is quite loud...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 August 2013

This is the first review that i have ever written, that is how bad it was. I should start by saying that I am no stranger to hostels, having travelled the world and stayed in some great ones.
We ended up here as a result of a mix up during the booking process and were sorry that we did! Before we paid, we asked to see the room and were told that this wouldn't be possible which raised alarm bells. We had a private double room with a shared bathroom. On first impressions, the room was dirty, the decor dated with dirty marks all over the walls and dust on the floor. It felt like we were staying in someone's grotty student bedroom.The bed hadn't even been pushed back against the wall. The first thing we did was ask for a clean towel as the one we had been given was stained. Then we noticed the footprint on our sheet. Nice. I wish I had never seen the duvet sticking out of the end of the cover, because it was repulsive! We got a whole set of 'clean' sheets and doubled up on everything. The mattress itself must have been found by a skip, it was thin with every spring sticking out and the bed creaked every time you moved.
The bathroom window had a broken pane and the noise could be heard until the early hours. We tried to get a glass of water from the kitchen, only to discover there were no glasses. Excellent.
Overall, it felt like a place that was all about the maximum profit and nothing to do with the customer. Don't get me wrong, the location is amazing and the girl behind the desk in the morning seemed nice, but they need to spend some money on making it habitable for guests. At over £80 a night, I for one expect better. My advice? Go elsewhere!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Lovestotravel1235

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Reviewed 21 August 2013

We went to Edinburgh in late July 2013 and were planning to stay at Cowgate Tourist Hostel for two nights. When we got there the staff told us the card reader was not working and that we would have to pay cash. We went to withdraw some cash and when we came back to the hostel the card reader was magically working again for another couple who insisted on paying with a card. We paid with our cash and were given the keys to our room and were told where it was.

When we got in to the corridor in which our room was located, there was an overwhelming stench of mold. Our room similarly smelled of mold combined with some sort of cleaning agent, bleach or paint. The room was also very, very damp. Entering the bathrooms and showers explained the stench of mold. The walls and the roof were completely covered in black mold, exposure to which can be very toxic to humans.

The horrors did not end with the mold, dampness and smell of chemicals. While we were sleeping, some random person entered our room, which was a private twin bedroom. The room was locked, and he actually had a key to open the door. After this incident we could not feel comfortable or safe sleeping in the room, or leaving it with our belongings in it.

It all ended with us leaving Cowgate Tourist Hostel the next morning, after one night instead of two, yet paying for both nights. They refused to give us any form of receipt when we asked for one. We do not recommend anyone to stay at this hostel under any circumstances.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tapirus_indicus
Peregian Springs, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This is a self-catering student hostel and one makes one's own bed and hires towels. It was pretty grotty and we wouldn't stay again. However, it is in a good location and it is cheap for Edinburgh, tho not for UK as whole. There is no wifi but there is a good wired internet connection.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple