“Dont stay here”

Cowgate Tourist Hostel
Ranked #146 of 217 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

There of all the I have nothing to say about the staff, they were great.

Dont stay here more than an overnight.There are 3 rooms for 6 to 8 people in each flat, they share 2 toileta and 2 showers. There is no area to relax like in every hostel... just your room and the kitchen where you can find 3 chairs and a couch siting on 2 printera.

I ve been in a lot of different hostels and this one wasbone of the poorest.

Safe travel!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Ivan9973
sian28, Manager at Cowgate Tourist Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

I am sorry you did not like our hostel. We are unique in the way we have an apartment style with 3-5 rooms per apartment with shower and toilets to share and a large kitchen area. This may not of been something that suited you, however we do find people really like the set up and for large and small groups it is perfect with a very cheap price to make it even better.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

The location of the hostel was great, in Old Town and everything within walking distance, pub across the road. Royal Mile was less than a 5 minute walk.
The room itself was gross and old. A refurnish wouldn't go astray. Out of 4 power outlets only 2 worked with a room of 6 people who didn't know each other. Kitchen was a good size and had everything you needed which was good. We were two young girls put in a room with 4 men over the age of 40. Yes, we did select a mixed dorm but it was still a little intimidating. The staff were really helpful and nice. Not the best place i've stayed but hey it's just somewhere to sleep.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

We do have only mixed dorms in our hostel and we try our best to put people together that may suit, however it is sometimes impossible. If you book a mixed dorm you must be prepared to share with any age or gender. I will speak with maintenance and ask them to look at all plug sockets and get these fixed. I'm glad you found the staff friendly!! :)

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Great location! couldnt be any better... right in the old part of town so its central to everything - its a simple hostel which has everything you need - a place to put your bags and a place to put your head

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JazzzSay

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Cheap and Cheerful :)

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Was a bit worried about staying here after reading reviews and seeing pictures.Stayed here for one night to go out in Edinburgh.Rooms were warm and clean so were toilets Beds were a bit squeaky but that was to be expected.Staff at front desk were very helpful.The only thing I would say that if you are not intending on going out and having a few beers the noise from the pub across the street may keep you awake.This hostel is perfect for travellers and folk that want a cheaper bed for a night out in Edinburgh seeing as its a expensive place.

Room Tip: Earplugs as there is a lively pub across street so may keep you awake!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Really good located and very friendly staff. I stayed for two nights and enjoyed it very much! The only problem was that the room I stayed didn't have lockers and the toilet wasn't working. But the room was very clean and the bed truly confortable. The windows could be opened and I loved it. (Usually in cold places they don't let you open the window). I recommend it!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Henara G
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Walked in off the street on Saturday after our bag was stolen from our room in Budget Backpackers across the road the night before (see review!) and was visibly upset and exhausted. The receptionist couldn't of been nicer! Very helpful and even assigned us a room with just one other girl so we could relax and get some sleep. Beds were lovely and clean - fresh laundry that smelt gorgeous, (hard to come across in a hostel!) Very safe - keys and codes to get in every door. Great central location and bathrooms super clean, i would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Niamhoooo

Thank you for such a lovely review. We were very happy to help:)

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed here for 3 months and had a great time meet new friends and because of the location everything was at my doorstep. Ive worked for accommodation and I cleaned that pleace myself so the pics you see are old and dont look like that anymore (I made damn sure of that!!) I also enjoyed the free wifi (I dont think theres many if any that provides free wifi in hostels) so I could skype family and friends back home also make bookings while cooking bacon & eggs (yummo!!) the staff are awesome and made me feel at home and even though I've never experienced shared dorms it was the best time and experience I've had in Scotland!!

Chur to the chur Cowgate miss you lads already!!

Speedo From kiwiland X

Room Tip: Just remember its located in the heart of the city so it can be loud (students do like to party!!) s...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo