“Depends what you're looking for” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cowgate Tourist Hostel

Cowgate Tourist Hostel
Ranked #151 of 214 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
emma7269
“Depends what you're looking for”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2009

I stayed at the Cowgate again this year after visiting several years ago and it has improved a lot. There is now wooden flooring and the kitchen is much nicer than the one in the flat I stayed in the first time. It's still not homely - my 'mattress' was actually two thin pieces of foam that sagged in the middle - but it was perfect for me and my friends. As for the cleanliness - someone cleaned our flat every day. There was a little dirt in the corners, it wasn't pristine, but the kitchen and toilets were clean and that is the main thing. Admittedly there were some things that could be considered annoying, the toilet seat in one of the toilets broke and was left like that, but I don't know if anyone actually complained about it. It's true also what people say about noise, we were there during the Fringe and there was shouting outside until 5 in the morning. The hostel is opposite a number of lively bars. All in all I'd say the hostel is a fine place to stay if you want somewhere less expensive and the luxuriousness of a posh hotel isn't important to you. My friends and I were there to go out and experience the festival. If your hotel is going to be a big part of your stay, don't stay here. I don't think it's as bad as some people have made out but I think you can expect some noise and a bit of mess.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank emma7269

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Mnachester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2009

Stopped here with a large group of friends. Quite noisy as its right next to a load of pubs but we where out till the pubs/clubs closed anyway!! Bathrooms are clean and adequate and beds are comfortable. Would stop here again.

• Stayed August 2009
Somerset
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2009

My friends and I had a terrible experience of this hostel which is based slap bang in a night life hotspot (no sleep unless you're one of the people making the noise that is!) Bunkbeds had paper thin matresses with springs everywhere. The ceiling in our 4 person room had been repaired from what looked like a leak but the plastered wall and bare lightbulbs together gave it the feel of a) a crimescene or b) a prison cell.
The final straw for us was the many people urinating against the outside door to our stairwell which stank and had to be jumped over when exiting/ entering tghe building- highly unpleasant. We checked out a day early and forfeited our money to stay in hotel. Although unaccustomed to staying in UK hostels, this was expensive and had very low standards compared to others I have stayed in worldwide. Avoid at all costs, unless you don't mind really roughing it!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Gettogolfer
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

1) Bathroom had standing water all over the entire stay.
2) The shower was constantly clogged.
3) Cleaning personell smelled worse than the bathroom.
4) Pub across the street is extremely loud extremelty late.
5) Someone threw up all over bathroom and help did not clean it for at least 3 days.
It was my worst hostel stay ever, do yourself a favor and stay anywhere else!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Ushuaia, Argentina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

The beds are a bit unconfortable. Nice neighbourhood. My room was extremely warm. The price is really good.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
Brighton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2009

I went to Edinburgh for a friend's birthday and she suggested we all stayed in a hostel because they are so cheap. My boyfriend and I managed to get a room just the two of us which is good for hostels- many I have stayed in have been dorms. He had never stayed in a hostel.

The room was fine but the bed sheets had unusual stains on them despite the apparent cleanliness of the room. Our front door was kicked in and the bathroom had no toilet roll which is always a bit of a downer especially when we're used to ensuite etc.

We were in Edinburgh for 2 nights and could only spend one in the hostel. In short, the night we spent there I was sitting up on the verge of tears looking up a cheap hotel for the next night. This was because at about 2 in the morning a large group of students clattered into the flat and were singing/laughing/shouting/screaming. I know this is not the hostels fault but for 5 hours we were prisoners to this noise that travels so loudly through thin walls.

I am snob but this was just the icing on the cake. I am also a student and like to have a good time at night but this was so disrespectful and annoying. I just couldnt take anymore. After two hours of sleep at 7 in the morning we went to the Thistle and booked a room for the second night.

Now here is the crazy thing... We booked Cowgate for £50 per night, so £25 each. At the Thistle at the end of Prince's Street we got a room for £80 per night, just £15 extra each for a gorgeous room, a double bed, an ensuite and most importantly peace and quiet! I just cannot get my head around how you can go from such a low standard of accommodation to such a high standard in just £15.

Maybe we were just unlucky. We were planning on doing more in the daytime sightseeing etc so our nightlife wasn't as heavy but if you are going for nightlife it probably is a good hostel (it is in a great nightlife location)- especially if you are planning on not sleeping. Just be aware of those who are getting their head down!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Hull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2009

Having read through the reviews on this site, we feared the worse as we headed up to Edinburgh. On arrival, we were pleasantly surprised by not on only the warm welcome of the staff, but the cleanliness of the rooms and especially the toilet and shower facilities. The pub opposite, The Three Sisters, was pefectly placed and did good food and was very lively late on. I appreciate this may not all be ideal for a family looking to see the sights, but if you are looking for a clean place with a central location to rest your head at the end of a long day, its perfect. I honestly dont see how anybody could moan, would recomend this place to any friends heading up to Edinburgh.

• Stayed April 2009