“Budget Accomodation! Fun times only :)”

Cowgate Tourist Hostel
Ranked #150 of 205 Speciality Lodging in Edinburgh
Edinburgh
“Budget Accomodation! Fun times only :)”
Reviewed 21 October 2009

Cool set up but budget! I think they were ex student accommodation with about 5 rooms or so in a "Flat" with something like 8 Flats. Pretty good kitchen facilities to share between each flat. Not the cleanest of places, cleaning gets done but not to a high standard. Linen doesn't seem to get changed every time it is used and a lot of the mattresses are pretty bad (springs sticking into your back). Check that the heating goes in your room if its in the winter, some rooms seems to have non functional heating. No lock-ups so watch your stuff! Staff were happy to hold valuable items behind the counter though. Two computers for communal internet and cool little hang out room with free tea and coffee.

Right across the road from the Three Sisters bar so can be noisy on a Friday and Saturday nights but if that's what your into its perfect! Right in the centre of town and a few minutes walk from most Old Town pubs!! If you are there when its not busy its pretty cheap especially if you want to hang around for a little bit.

I stayed there for about 2 weeks in transition and overall it did the trick but all it is is just budget accommodation situated right in the centre of town for good access to pubs etc and fun times. If you have standards this might have trouble meeting them :)

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
emma7269
Reviewed 14 September 2009

I stayed at the Cowgate again this year after visiting several years ago and it has improved a lot. There is now wooden flooring and the kitchen is much nicer than the one in the flat I stayed in the first time. It's still not homely - my 'mattress' was actually two thin pieces of foam that sagged in the middle - but it was perfect for me and my friends. As for the cleanliness - someone cleaned our flat every day. There was a little dirt in the corners, it wasn't pristine, but the kitchen and toilets were clean and that is the main thing. Admittedly there were some things that could be considered annoying, the toilet seat in one of the toilets broke and was left like that, but I don't know if anyone actually complained about it. It's true also what people say about noise, we were there during the Fringe and there was shouting outside until 5 in the morning. The hostel is opposite a number of lively bars. All in all I'd say the hostel is a fine place to stay if you want somewhere less expensive and the luxuriousness of a posh hotel isn't important to you. My friends and I were there to go out and experience the festival. If your hotel is going to be a big part of your stay, don't stay here. I don't think it's as bad as some people have made out but I think you can expect some noise and a bit of mess.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank emma7269
Mnachester
Reviewed 26 August 2009

Stopped here with a large group of friends. Quite noisy as its right next to a load of pubs but we where out till the pubs/clubs closed anyway!! Bathrooms are clean and adequate and beds are comfortable. Would stop here again.

• Stayed August 2009
Somerset
Reviewed 13 August 2009

My friends and I had a terrible experience of this hostel which is based slap bang in a night life hotspot (no sleep unless you're one of the people making the noise that is!) Bunkbeds had paper thin matresses with springs everywhere. The ceiling in our 4 person room had been repaired from what looked like a leak but the plastered wall and bare lightbulbs together gave it the feel of a) a crimescene or b) a prison cell.
The final straw for us was the many people urinating against the outside door to our stairwell which stank and had to be jumped over when exiting/ entering tghe building- highly unpleasant. We checked out a day early and forfeited our money to stay in hotel. Although unaccustomed to staying in UK hostels, this was expensive and had very low standards compared to others I have stayed in worldwide. Avoid at all costs, unless you don't mind really roughing it!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Gettogolfer
Reviewed 5 August 2009

1) Bathroom had standing water all over the entire stay.
2) The shower was constantly clogged.
3) Cleaning personell smelled worse than the bathroom.
4) Pub across the street is extremely loud extremelty late.
5) Someone threw up all over bathroom and help did not clean it for at least 3 days.
It was my worst hostel stay ever, do yourself a favor and stay anywhere else!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Ushuaia, Argentina
Reviewed 23 July 2009

The beds are a bit unconfortable. Nice neighbourhood. My room was extremely warm. The price is really good.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
Brighton
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I went to Edinburgh for a friend's birthday and she suggested we all stayed in a hostel because they are so cheap. My boyfriend and I managed to get a room just the two of us which is good for hostels- many I have stayed in have been dorms. He had never stayed in a hostel.

The room was fine but the bed sheets had unusual stains on them despite the apparent cleanliness of the room. Our front door was kicked in and the bathroom had no toilet roll which is always a bit of a downer especially when we're used to ensuite etc.

We were in Edinburgh for 2 nights and could only spend one in the hostel. In short, the night we spent there I was sitting up on the verge of tears looking up a cheap hotel for the next night. This was because at about 2 in the morning a large group of students clattered into the flat and were singing/laughing/shouting/screaming. I know this is not the hostels fault but for 5 hours we were prisoners to this noise that travels so loudly through thin walls.

I am snob but this was just the icing on the cake. I am also a student and like to have a good time at night but this was so disrespectful and annoying. I just couldnt take anymore. After two hours of sleep at 7 in the morning we went to the Thistle and booked a room for the second night.

Now here is the crazy thing... We booked Cowgate for £50 per night, so £25 each. At the Thistle at the end of Prince's Street we got a room for £80 per night, just £15 extra each for a gorgeous room, a double bed, an ensuite and most importantly peace and quiet! I just cannot get my head around how you can go from such a low standard of accommodation to such a high standard in just £15.

Maybe we were just unlucky. We were planning on doing more in the daytime sightseeing etc so our nightlife wasn't as heavy but if you are going for nightlife it probably is a good hostel (it is in a great nightlife location)- especially if you are planning on not sleeping. Just be aware of those who are getting their head down!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends