“cold room” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Murrayfield Hotel and House

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Murrayfield Hotel and House
Ranked #40 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, United Kingdom
“cold room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

Stayed here November 2011, the room had no heating and when I arrived the window was open so the room was very cold. After repeated calls to reception the heating did eventually come on but only for an hour. In the end I had to be given one of those portable radiators.

It seems the hotel has old and new parts, the restaurant was good but the room I was in was very large and very cold.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Jodi R, Front Office Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this review, 20 November 2011
Thank you for your recent review.

We have taken all your feedback on board and we are currently resolving the issues which concerned you during your stay.

We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and we hope that in future we will be able to make it up to you.

Thank you for all your thoughts, if you have any other concerns we welcome your feedback and our email address is; Murrayfield@centraledinburghhotels.co.uk

Kind Regards

Murrayfield Hotel & Lodge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

The location on the main road and very good car parking is also good although on first arraving you think this to be a bit of a run down hotel do not let the apperence of the outside put you off. it is a nice comfy hotel very clean and good value for money in an very expencive place like Edinburgh.

The breakfast is very good well cooked and plenty of it. If you are like me and do not wish to stay in the premier inns box type hotel one with a bit of something about it not a box in a box this is very nice

I only have one or two issues having stayed at this hotel before and had to have issues resolved with the room but in all hoesty they did sort it all out for me .However more attention to detail on prepaering the rooms ie check all things work !! again this visit I had a number of bulbs in my room that did not work two in the main bathroom making gettting a good shave very difficult god knows how a woman would have put on makeup !! Please hotel if you read this please just a little more attention to detail please as I love to staying with you.

The bar area is very dark also when you are eating it is not the best i commented and the young lady arrived with a couple of candles !!!!! very romantic a business man on his own !!!!

The staff are good and have a sence of humour thank god they must ned working there !!

Room Tip: The main hotel not the lodge part as i understand this is not very good see other reviews
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your recent comments regarding your stay with us.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Murrayfield Hotel. We are in the process of a refurbishment of the hotel and improvements are being made daily.

I hope that next time you visit Edinburgh you will come back and see us and enjoy first hand this exciting transformation.

Kind Regards

Murrayfield Hotel & Lodge
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

paid nearly £300 for 2 nights here, was very disapointed with room and also the shower didnt work. i did complain and the staff did (grudgingly) refund some of my money. all the normal staff were quite pleasant but the "manager" type lady i saw when i complaind was quite condescending and a little rude. maybe thats just the way in edinburgh?

Room Tip: we were at the very top of hotel in a croner - suspect this was why shower didnt work - no pressure!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Grantown-on-Spey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

Stayed for 1 night. Rooms clean enough. Good location and advantage of having car par. The receptionist from NZ was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were a bit warm and stuffy. Our room was a good size but the other room had a tiny bathroom with a sink that was far too small. Breakfast was nice but lots of dirty tables etc waiting to be cleared. Maybe slightly overpriced but would probably visit again.

Room Tip: Room 19, not 17
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Elgin, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Booked a night for my boyfriend and myself as a treat, last minute. All inner city hotels were booked up as expected, which was fine. As it was a treat i went for the Delux Room. What a treat we got....NOT. Best way to describe the place was a dive of a bedsit. Bed was horrible, very very uncomfortable. Room small and in desperate need of updating!! Our room was at the front of the hotel was lots of noise throughout the night from the road outside. Basic bathroom. Turned shower on to get all up a drizzle of water, took forever to wash hair (would of been quicker using the tap, no pressure what so ever). The showerhead had obviously not been cleaned since it was installed. Black scum all over it. Small TV in room but only had like 3 channels. Reception staff were smiley but very poor at directing us to our room, ended up walking up and downstairs a couple of times with our bags tryin to find the room. Our room was in a seperate corridor with another rooms door. Corridor light did not work so tryin to key the door unlocked was challenging. Staff at breakfast were not very welcoming and didnt seem to know what they were doing. Very little food when we went and what was there wasnt too hot either.
TOTALLY RIPPED OFF!!! NEVER BE VISITING THERE AGAIN
Good points of hotel:
Bar food
Free parking on site
Location for Murrayfield

Room Tip: Avoid hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Shropshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

We wentt to the Murrayfield because it was opposite Murrayfield and we were up for the Six Nations. Reception was helpful and we were soon in our room.

When I opened the door the cold air was like a slap in the face but this was soon recitified with a little twiddling of the radiator valve. We were in the 3 bed room with a large bay on the side of the building and traffic noise was very noticeable due to the single glazing although not an issue for one night. Breakfast was very nice, service was good. We parked in the carpark and were allowed to leave the car in the carpark until the end of the rugby match.... In herein began our problems.

The hotel is an immediate venue for post match revellers and this is fine. However on this day the car park was double parked by a load of vehicles not resident at the hotel. We were out of the ground and ready to leave around 7pm as we had a 5 hour drive home and I had work the next day (as had quite a few people parked along side us). We waited thinking the cars would move but this did not happen. After an hour or so the manager of the hotel began telling us a tow truck had been called and would be here shortly. One member of the staff had a stand up row with a girl trapped in the car park (for no reason that I could see). The manager as you can imagine was getting some flack by this time and after a while admitted no tow truck was coming. I put it to her that she needed to put us up for night as we were trapped in the car park through no fault of our own and her response to this was 'what do you want me to do?'. Yes everyone can flip the question back but I'd told her what I wanted her to do. Totally beyond her depth and no idea of people management. Throughout all of this a constructive man was hovering in the side lines. I guessed it was the manager's husband as he was helpful yet not fully involved. As he became more helpful I eventually asked him who he was and found he was the Assistant Director of Festival Inns. He eventually whipped up a group of doormen and male staff and they all pushed the offending vehicles out of the way and all the cars were backed out one by one after 25 point turns. I eventually managed to leave Edinburgh 2.5 hours later than planned leading to a very late tired drive home which I had wanted to avoid.

I accept the parking is not Festival Inns' fault but the manager was beyond useless and I believe it was only due the Assistant Director's presence that I managed to get away as promptly as I did. I made a point of telling him this and thanked him for his help. I imagine if he'd not the police would have been called as there were a lot of very angry and very resigned people standed.

Would I stay there again? It is a great location for the rugby! But I'd park much more carefully. There is a parking row behind the carpark and I think I'd go in there!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

I had to stay one night in Edinburgh and this was one of the cheaper hotels that I could find. The room I got was HUGE with 3 single beds in there for just little me! The heater wasn't working too well however the place was nice, clean and well decorated. The bathroom was a little small but still nice. It was quiet at night which was really nice and the hotel staff was very friendly and helped me with all my needs. The hotel is very close to the bus stop which was very useful to go into town. as I didn't have to walk far. The complimentary breakfast was delicious as well. If I had to stay in Edinburgh again I would definitely go back!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo