“Good Hotel”

Murrayfield Hotel and House
Ranked #36 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I stayed in the lodge on 14th June and although I had a single room was clean, comfy abeit a bit small, The one fault I could find was having to put the kettle on the floor for the nearest plug,
The lodge was a beautiful building with a huge stained glass window on the stairs, with quite a few original features.
I had a wonderful evening meal that was actually hot!!! the bar staff were fantastic........I didnt have to move off my seat for anything. Breakfast was brilliant which was served on Hot plates so your food stayed hot whilst eating it. The hotel does not deserve some of the bad reviews it has received but my experience at the hotel was all good.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor- all of us here at the Murrayfield Hotel really enjoyed reading it (the Chef now has a copy of your review on his kitchen wall and sends his best regards)!
I was really glad to see that you liked our Lodge building; we love the original features too and will certainly do our best to preserve them in the process of refurbishment which we will be undergoing later this year. Thank you for bringing up the issue with the kettle – we will definitely make sure that such inconveniences are eliminated.
We really hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Murrayfield Hotel and House

Reviewed 28 June 2012

was recommended this hotel and couldn't believe the quality, short bus ride or taxi from haymarket and the breakfast was amazing, I was obviously in a brand new room and it was full of quirky surprises in fixture and fittings, very spacious and quiet. The bar has a great atmosphere and the staff excellent. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: ask for the brand new room availabilty - amazing
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent feedback on your stay at out hotel - I was very pleased to see that you enjoyed it.
I am really glad that you had a chance to stay in our brand new, freshly refurbished room and had a first-hand experience of what is our vision of the future.
Thank you for recommending us and we hope that you will get a chance to visit us again yourself!

Reviewed 20 June 2012

Staff are very friendly and helpful. Rooms clean and well maintained. easy access to buses. Resteraunt limited menu but well cookef. would go back

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded 24 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for reviewing us on TripAdvisor - we truly appreciate your comments about our team, the food you have sampled in our restaurant and the room you stayed in. We are really glad we have met your expectations and you enjoyed your stay with us.

All of us here at the Murrayfield cannot wait to welcome you back!

Reviewed 19 June 2012

We stayed at the hotel for a night away in Edinburgh for my husbands birthday. Not our first choice hotel but due to an incident at the hotel we had booked, we had to be moved to another hotel in the area which I was told would be to the same standard. The room itself was very spacious and from the professional picutres looks very high quality, but in real life doesn't live up to expectations. The bed was very uncomfortable, the pillows very flat and worn,duvet very, very thin and I was not told in advance that the bed in an "executive double suite" would consist of shoving 2 single beds together and being kept together with just a sheet! The bathroom again looked lovely at first glance, but the shower was very dirty! The water wouldn't drain away properly so I lifted the cover to be met with a drain FULL of hair - not just one or 2 guests worth! The shampoos and conditioners that came with the room had not been topped up so it looked like we had just been left with someones left overs and the windows are very old, so any time you opened or closed the bathroom door they rattled. They also didn't keep the noise out! As with the reply below we were also kept awake by a troublesome guest in the middle of the night. The noise really carries! For a 3 star hotel and for the price of the room, I would really expect higher standards.
On a positive note the staff were all very, very lovely. The breakfast was really nice and the hotel itself is in a very handy location. Unfortunately the hotel itself just didn't live up to the expectations.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 24 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am sorry to hear that there was a problem with the hotel you originally booked and that our hotel did not meet your expectations either.

I have looked into all the issues you have mentioned and would like to offer my apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced together with a handful of explanations:

The noise that woke you up in the middle of the night was caused by a medical emergency - one of our guests was in severe pain and was taken to a hospital. I am sure you can understand that 'keeping the noise out' was unfortunately not an option under those circumstances. Obviously when staying in a hotel you would expect a good night's sleep and I regret this wasn't the case on this occasion, however situations such as the one that occurred during your stay, although very rare, are outwith our hands. Our priority as well as legal obligation in such cases is always saving a person's life.

As for the bed in your room, it is true that most of our bedrooms have zip-and-link beds in order to increase the flexibility of sleeping arrangements (the king size bed can be split into 2 single beds when needed). The two beds are held together by bars, and the mattresses are zipped together. I am very sorry that you found your bed uncomfortable.

As for the cleanliness issues you have listed, I have passed them on to our Head Housekeeper and am happy to let you know they all have now been rectified. We do aim for the highest standards of cleanliness, however this apparently was not the case during your stay which I would like to offer my sincere apologies for.

Thank you once again for your comments as we use all feedback constructively to improve as a company. I truly appreciate your kind words about our staff as all of us here at the hotel work hard to ensure the highest level of customer service. At the same time I regret that you did not bring any of the issues to our attention as we would have done our best to rectify them there and then.

I do trust that you will consider giving us another chance in he future - perhaps you will be able to come and see us next year after our complete refurbishment? We would also love to show you our brand new sample room which is our vision of the very near future - please do not hesitate to pop in and ask to see it next time you are in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 19 June 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel after we returned from a tour around Scotland. In the first room we stayed in the shower hose was broken. We informed the receptionist of the problem and were assured it would be fixed upon our return in the evening... no such luck... the room was also right over the bar which made it rather noisy in the evenings. Also outside on the landing it was dripping through the roof and buckets had been placed on the stairs... We were then moved to another room in the newer part of the building. The room was great and everything worked fine but it was right above the function room. No sleep until after midnight because of the noise and then there was a problem with a guest in the middle of the night. The noise carries a LOT and so yet again we did not get much sleep... would never stay there again. Only good thing was the staff. They are extremely friendly and do their best to fix issues and accomodate requests. Also walking distance from the zoo and close to bus routes to airport and city centre.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room in the new part of the hotel and on a day that has no function on unless...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Agnieszka S, Front Office Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to hear that the room that was originally allocated to you did not meet your expectations, however it is reassuring that you were moved to a room that was a lot more to your liking. I am also very pleased to see that you found our staff friendly and helpful, as we all work hard to ensure the highest standards of customer service.

As for the noise issue you have mentioned, I understand that being woken up by another guest in the middle of the night must have been disappointing, however this was a medical emergency and the person in question was in severe pain and was taken to a hospital that night. I am very sorry that you did not get a good night's sleep, however I can assure you that this kind of situation does not happen very often.

I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that we will be undergoing a full refurbishment of our bedrooms and public areas later this year and the finished product will be quite spectacular, so if you would like to pop in and see the changes for yourself next time you are in Edinburgh - please feel free to do so. At this point we already have a sample room done which I am sure you would love.

Once again, I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us on this occasion, however I do trust you will consider giving us another chance in the future - even if it's only to see the improvements that are being made daily.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

I really liked staying at this hotel. My friend and i stayed here from monday-friday. The staff were nice, the room were clean and new(the one we got seemed pretty new.) The bathroom was really pretty! The breakfast could have been a bit better, you guys should really just have a berakfast buffee..

The location was fine, close to the city centre in edinburgh and close to the airport, the zoo and just next tot he bus stop where the airport bus goes from. And there was an ice rink next to the hotel, lovely!

The hotel is a typical scottish hotel, looks so old and sweet from the outside. I will probably come back here if i am going to edinburgh again.

PS! You should also update you drink meny, or maybe get one :)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Agnieszka S, Front Office Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us here at the Murrayfield Hotel. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It always gives the staff great pleasure to read the feedback from our guets and they get great satisfaction from hearing how much people enjoy what we do here at the hotel.

I do hope that next time you visit the City that you will choose to stay with us here at the Murrayfield once again.

Kind regards

Reviewed 13 June 2012

Normally stay in Premier Inn when on business, but as Olympic Torch was in town, could not get anywhere. Booked thru Expedia, and what a little Gem! Apparently I was in a superior room, and it was great. Very boutique, flat screen tv, swish bathroom, all very clean, top quality linen, etc. tea tray was full to overflowing with different drinks & biscuits. Place very charming, staff mega helpful, food great. Boutique hotel for a budget price. Highly reccomended, and I will definately go back when in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Agnieszka S, Front Office Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review, I have passed your comments on to our entire team and we all enjoyed reading your kind words.

I am very glad to hear that you found your room clean, food tasty and staff helpful and that you are planning to come back and stay with us again. We cannot wait to welcome you again and we would love to show you our newly refurbished sample room next time you're here - just ask at reception. We will be undergoing full refurbishment later this year and would love to share with you our vision of the future!