“Very impressed”

Murrayfield Hotel and House
Ranked #35 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I decided to book this place as it seemed a good price at just £44 per night. We stayed for 2 nights. This was for one of the rooms in the main hotel. After booking i was unsure of staying here after seeing the pictures and was thinking of booking somewhere else. But i must say im glad i stuck with the choice to stay here. My partner & me were in one of the refurbished rooms, we were both impressed with the size of the room and how nice it looked. Also for the price, we couldnt have found a better deal anywhere else. The staff were friendly, we also had a few quiet drinks in the bothy which is also nicely decorated & a good place to chill out. We were in a room at the front of the hotel & we didnt have any bother with traffic or anything even though it was on the main road.The only minor fault i would say there was is that the blinds in the bathroom could do with replacing, but other than that cant fault anything about our stay. If we ever go to edinburgh again we would definitely book here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Central E, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Hi tchristie941

Thanks for such a great reiveiw, our new Bothy seems to be going down very well.

I do hope that your able to come back to Edinburgh and see us again soon.

Have a great 2014

Best Wishes

Colin Brand

Write a ReviewReviews (2,162)

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Just stayed here for one night after booking on late rooms. We booked a luxury superior room and on arrival we were told these rooms were in a separate block two buildings away from the main hotel. My partner and I were not happy and asked if we could be allocated another room in the main hotel block. We were shown 2 rooms both of which were disappointing and we decided to stick to the room we initially booked which I have to say was excellent. We decided to eat at the hotel and ordered drinks which took 20 mins to arrive our food came soon after and was ok. After waiting some time for plates to be taken we tried to order dessert to be told the restaurant had finished serving food. we ordered coffee and after waiting another 30 minutes no staff came back to the part of the restaurant we were eat in so we went into the bar area I told a member of staff we had left the restaurant in search of someone to ask for the bill, he was very apologetic and gave us a discount the service and staff let this place down and lack of staff on hand was frustrating and disappointing.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rose R

Good afternoon Rose R

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am dissappointed that we did not live up to our high stadards and would be delighted for you to contact me here at the hotel directly to discuss your experience.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We had previously visited this hotel in February and were left a little underwhelmed, but after finding a fantastic Itison deal we decided to give it another go.

On our previous visit we were in one of the smaller, more basic rooms and we don't know how these now look post refurbishment. This time we were in one of the 'luxe' rooms in the house as opposed to the hotel and it was fantastic. Amazing room, great facilities and a very comfortable bed. Very impressed with the helpful attitude of the staff both at reception and in the bar & restaurant. We had a couple of drinks in the bar before heading out to the show and they were great as was breakfast the next morning.

They've definitely pulled their socks up since we last visited and we are - without a doubt - intending on returning in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dougall297

Good afternoon Dougall297

Thanks for your review and thank you so much for returning to see us again, as mentioned we have done some refurbishment work and the rooms you mentioned coupled with the new Bothy are going down a storm.

I do hope to see you again very soon.

Happy New Year and have a great 2014

Reviewed 27 December 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights in November to sample the newly refurbished bothy. WAW. What a job they have done. It looks fantastic. I would strongly recommend an "Old Fashioned" cocktail. Be patient though!
The food was fantastic, as was the service. The bar supervisor and his team are a credit.

Look forward to staying again!

Room Tip: Check out the Cocktail Menu!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi muzzhfc

It was great to see you again. Ricky loves making cocktails and was delighted you enjoyed your old fashioned served, in our own wee unique way, in a hip flask.

See you again soon.

Happy New Year

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

As our first experience of the Murrayfield had been so good we decided to rebook for our Christmas shopping trip to Edinburgh. I was a bit apprehensive as I thought that it wouldn't live up to the high standards but boy could I have been so wrong!! The whole Bar and Restaurant has been refurbished to an exceptional standard. There was a new menu for us to try, I had the Shepherds Pie, FANTASTIC, and my still fussy hubby stuck to the Steak, TOP DRAWER!! We ate in the new Bothy bar in a booth, the live music after from Danny and Steve topped off the night perfectly. Staff, as before, were excellent and attentive without being in your face. A thoroughly enjoyable and chilled night after a busy day fighting the crowds Christmas shopping. The room in the house was as good as before. This is now our Edinburgh bolt hole, well done Murrayfield!!!

• Stayed: December 2013

Hi fairy1990

Thanks so much for taking the time to write your review, we love our new Bothy and delighted that you do to.

Our Executive chef is renowned for his shepherds pie and always loves to hear of our guests enjoying it!!

We are so happy that you are now on of our "regulars" and I look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Happy New Year and all the best for 2014

Reviewed 27 December 2013

After visiting this new establishment over the weekend for dinner I felt I must share this review. I have never posted on these type of sites before but felt compelled to sign up.
From the minute we arrived the welcome was top notch no booking but no problem taken to a lovely table, clean and well presented. The "bothy" as I think it's branded was amazing, lovely decor delicious food and the most hospitable staff I have come across in a number on months!!
Can't recommend high enough will be back time and time again, ps have the lamb shank pie it's amazing

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Central E, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Good afternoon 509Paulj86

Thank you so much for your review, we are delighted that you had such a fantastic time and really cant wait to welocme you back. (can I suggest that you try the steak and ale pie)

Kind Regards

Reviewed 22 December 2013

We visited the hotel for our 30th wedding anniversary - another hotel had let us down. We stayed in the house and cannot fault anything. The tv in the mirror was amazing, the shower was fabulous and even the hair dryer was a proper one - not the usual weak effort you get in other hotels. The bed was huge and comfy.
We had dinner in The Bothy and went back for breakfast in the morning. Both were excellent.
As for the staff - they were all lovely. Nothing was too much trouble for them. It was a busy night as there were some large parties in but service was excellent; we were never left waiting at any time.
All in all we had a perfect wedding anniversary and I think I'm a bit glad the other place let us down.

• Stayed: December 2013
Central E, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Good afternoon Grannyjo57

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay here with us, we all love our new House and Bothy too.

Many congratulations on your aniversary and I d ohope ot be able to welcome you to the hotel again.

Have an excellent Christmas