“Nice clean hotel, 10 minutes from Princess St.”

Murrayfield Hotel and House
Ranked #41 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Doncaster
“Nice clean hotel, 10 minutes from Princess St.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We arrived tired and (as I'm disabled) the young man at the desk went to my car and carried the luggage to our room. The staff were very nice, courteous and eager to help. The room was very nice, and clean. Shower room was very nice, and clean also. Breakfast on the first morning was lovely but second morning it was pre-cooked and dry. (Ask to have your breakfast cooked to order). I was a bit shocked when I had a pint of Estrella and was charged £4.55 (a hotel in Hull charged me £3.30 for same drink?) I would recommend this hotel, it was charming. If you're a rugby fan, Murrayfield Stadium is a stones throw away. Maybe they should charge hotel residents less for drinks than your off the street drinker.

Room Tip: Lower rooms at the back have their own garden to sit in. Rooms 207,208, 209 I seem to remember have...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Puttytrump
Central E, Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Good morning Puttytrump,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review of your stay with us. I'm delighted to hear that Pawel was able to help you upon check in and took the time to personally take the luggage to your room.

I have passed your comments on to the General Manager and kitchen team with regards to your comments about breakfast on the second morning of your stay. All of our breakfasts are freshly cooked, so they will investigate as to why this occurred during your stay.

I do hope to see you here again soon,

Linda & The Murrayfield Hotel and House Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Elrick
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our room was very small but absolutely immaculate with a new shower room and nice extras. Perfect for our one nights stay but not if we had to spend any more time in it! The only let down was at breakfast - we were seated and then left, I eventually had to seek out a waitress for a menu, was given only one when there's two of us! Weren't told to help ourselves to juice etc so we helped ourselves! Even though there was another half an hour before breakfast closed the buffet was almost empty and it wasn't replenished which was disappointing! Our cooked breakfast appeared to have spent some time being kept hot and didn't appear to be freshly cooked which again was disappointing! Apart from this minor detail it is a lovely hotel which has been tastefully refurbished and we would stay again!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank NicMorr
Good morning NicMorr,

Thank you for leaving such a great review of your stay with us! Due to the age of the building, the sizes of some of our rooms do vary. We can allocate rooms with a little more space if requested, and available.

I'm sorry to hear of your disappointing experience with breakfast and have passed your comments on to the General Manager of The Bothy.

I do hope that you will return to visit so that you can see that your comments have been taken on board. Remember to contact us directly to ensure the best returners rate.

Kind regards

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel was ideal for my family party group. There were 16 of us , check in was easy as we were reassigned rooms by name . The staff were extremely friendly and helpful both in the hotel , bar and restaurant area. I organised a special meal on the Saturday night and we were given a separate room for our use which was a pleasant surprise. The hotel is mid way between the city centre and the zoo, but has easy access by a very regular bus service to the centre or the zoo at a cost of 1.50 each way . This works out well as you can sit in the outside seating area and chill after a busy day sightseeing . Overall I would recommend this hotel to visitors . Extremely handy for murrayfield stadium as you can see it from the hotel!

Room Tip: This is a bespoke hotel and rooms vary as it is an old house rather than just a set style hotel. The...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank fairweatherwalker
Central E, Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Good morning fairweatherwalker,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a fantastic review of your recent stay with us - it was a pleasure to welcome you and your family here.

I'm delighted to hear that you found all the staff to be helpful and friendly, and that you enjoyed your meal in The Doocot room on Saturday evening.

I do hope that we will see you all again soon - remember to contact us directly for the best returners rate.

Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Me and my family stayed at the Murraryfield Hotel, for the second time this year and we were not disappointed. We checked in quite late and the receptionist Pawel was lovely and gave a great service. He checked us in quickly and dropped everything he was doing to show us to our rooms and carry our luggage. He also kept our dinner reservation open so we could settle into our rooms and not have to rush for dinner.

Overall, both rooms we booked were beautiful and though one room was smaller than the other it did not feel crampt but cosy and quaint. If I had to give any areas for improvement it was that the shower did not worked effectively, the TV signal was poor and I could hear a fan going off in the middle of the night which sounded similar to a vacuum cleaner. However, when my family raised these points with Pawel he was very efficient in immediately trying to rectify the issues.

We could also tell what a great job the refurbishment had done. The new deco has a lovely shabby chic and cosy feel, which we really liked. However, if I had to give any criticism it was that there were bits of the deco which we already starting to look drab or unkempt. For example, in my room there was marks on the walls as if something had been spilt and not cleaned. However, I appreciate this is a very minor point.

We ate in the restaurant both night and had breakfast both days. All the food we had was delicious and we really enjoyed it. However, on one occasion we did receive our food before we got our drinks. Every night the hotel was packed with not just with guests but locals which speaks for itself how good this restaurant is. It is advised that you reserve your tables in advanced.

All the staff at the Murraryfeild are fantastic and they could not get any better staff. They are all so friendly, will do anything for you even if they are really busy and nothing is too much trouble at all. All the staff are amazing and do a fantastic job. I can honestly say there is no room for improvement with regards to staff - Keep up the fantastic work!

This hotel is great for access to Edinburgh and is a short bus ride into the town centre but you are not on the door step which I like.

I must stress that any criticism or feedback given is very minor and will not deter me in recommending you to my friends and family.

It is the lovely little extras and extra mile staff are willing to go which makes this hotel fantastic and we will definitely be returning for a third visit.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on level 2 as there is a lot of noise from the kitchen on first floor rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank emily b
Central E, Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Hi emily b,

Thank you for such a fantastic and detailed review of your recent stay with us! I am delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay, and even happier to hear of the top class service that Pawel provided. I'll be sure to pass on your kind words to him, I know that it will make his day to see your review!

Our staff are some of the friendliest and helpful people that we know (not that we are biased!) so it's always great to hear that our guests think so too.

I do hope to see you here again very soon - remember to contact us directly to ensure the best returners rate.

Queensferry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

With travelling a lot on business i see a lot of hotels and B & B s and for the price i wasn't expecting a hotel as good as this, wow it was amazing. I stayed in the house room 301 and was impressed with the decor and the fancy gadgets with the hidden TV and the docking station, also the complementary gifts were a great touch. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the meals were excellent and very reasonable prices, i am defiantly booking for me and the wife to visit in september and we are travelling from wales to stay, cant wait to come back, thanks

Room Tip: room 301 in the house was great
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Neil1992
Central E, Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Hi Neil1992.

Wow - thank you for such an amazing review! It's always great to hear how happy guests are when they discover our hidden TV's, iPod docking stations, and our extra complimentary goodies!

I'll ensure that all the staff read your lovely comments on how helpful and friendly you found them, and also to the kitchen team - they will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience in The Bothy.

Remember to contact us directly to get the best returners rate. We look forward to seeing you here again in September!

See you soon,

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

The Murrayfield House was perfect from start to finish! Before arriving I arranged for a few drinks and chocolates to be waiting in the room for my boyfriends birthday. The staff (Linda and Victoria) were wonderful and so helpful, they made sure the room was set up beautifully for our arrival.
Our room, 301, was gorgeous! Everything from the comfy bed to the stylish decor. After exploring the rooms fancy gadgets including the hidden TV and the iPod dock, we noticed a cabinet containing a small bottle of whiskey and truffles for us. It's those small touches like that really make the Murrayfield house special, you need to stay here!! It's definitely worth it.
On a final note I would recommend The Bothy, we stayed for breakfast and tea and thoroughly enjoyed both!

Thank you for a fantastic weekend Murrayfield! We will be back!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie R
Central E, Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Good morning Charlie R,

Wow - thank you for such an amazing review! I'm delighted to hear that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your stay and I hope that he had a wonderful birthday!

It's always great to hear guests provide such wonderful feedback on the extra touches we add to each of the rooms - the hidden TV's are such a great surprise for everyone!

I do hope that we will see you here again very soon - remember to contact us directly to ensure the best returners rate. It would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you both back.

Don't stay away too long!

Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

a good job done on the refurb of the hotel ,very modern but still needs some finishing touches.
good access to all of Edinburgh and very good for the rugby stadium. good public transport right outside of hotel door. staff really friendly and polite good food and large selection of wines and beers. overall a very good experience.

Room Tip: all rooms good
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank duncan b
Central E, Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hi duncan b,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us - all feedback is greatly appreciated.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and had such an enjoyable experience. It's also pleasing to hear that you found the staff to be friendly, and I will make sure that each of the team take the time to read your review.

I do hope to see you here again soon, remember to contact us directly for the best returners rate.