“Nice Hotel, some lowlights”

Murrayfield Hotel and House
Ranked #35 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We were in one of the not yet refurbished rooms. Loose and broken floor tiles in the otherwise nice bathroom made it a less nice experience. Staff at the reception was great. Staff in the restaurant for breakfast a no go. Orders took very long, quite unfriendly and unorganised personnel. The buffet offered a rather small selection.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Wolfgang E
Central E, Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Hi Wolfgang E,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review; I appreciate all feedback provided by guests.

I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay, or that I was able to speak to you directly before you departed. As you noted, not all of our rooms have yet been refurbished, and I will alert the Maintenance department to the floor tiles in your bathroom in order to have this issue rectified urgently.

I also apologise for the service that you received during breakfast times. I have passed on your comments to the General Manager of The Bothy and he will investigate your comments fully. I am happy to hear however, that you found the reception team to be great, and will ensure that each of them take the time to read your kind comment.

Please do contact me directly when you are next returning so that I can ensure you are allocated one of our newly refurbished rooms.

Kind regards

Linda Keddie - Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,162)

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The hotel has clean rooms but the rooms have no ventilation and thus become very stuffy. I had to keep the door open for almost 1 hour to let the foul air out. There are no phones in the room so even for ordering, one needs to go down.

Room Tip: Being on the main road and near the airport is a benefit. airlink buses from the airport drop close...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Good evening kppmumbai,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of your stay with us; I appreciate all feedback provided to us by our guests.

I am saddened to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay with us and I would be grateful if you could contact me directly at murrayfield@centraledinburghhotels.co.uk to discuss your stay further.

Linda Keddie - Hotel Manager

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights during the Commonwealth Games 2014 and it was reasonably priced. The room was well appointed and comfortable, an added bonus was the Tunnocks Caramel Wafers provided with the tea and coffee. The breakfast was good value for money and staff were very helpful and friendly. the transport links made it cheap and easy to get into the centre of the city with buses running every 5mins from near the hotel - just make sure you have change. The Bothy bar, linked to the hotel was a pleasant place for a meal and a drink too.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RSib

Good morning RSib,

Thank you for such a great review! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the Caramel Wafers to be an extra bonus (they are one of my personal favourites!).

We certainly feel that we are situated in a great wee spot, so it's always lovely to hear that our guests are able to take advantage of it with the fantastic local transport system from almost right outside our door.

I do hope that we will see you again soon - remember to contact us directly to ensure the best returners rate. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back at anytime.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

sadly could only stay one night here. all was perfect! restful and extremely clean. room was one of the smaller budget rooms but was impeccibly clean. professional staff,. great food. the bar and restaurant were lovly and service was excellent.

Room Tip: late booking got a great rate with a budget- sized room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Pyromomma
Central E, Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Hi Pyromomma,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review! I'm so happy to hear that you found your stay to be perfect, with both the room and The Bothy. I will make sure that all the staff take the time to read your fantastic comments.

Please do contact me directly when you are next returning so that I can provide the best returners rate for you.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the murrayfield hotel for 2 nights and we had a great experience.
The room was lovely and clean with attention to details.
The breakfast was very good and the bar next to the hotel has very good staff; we had our dinner there as well and it was very good!
The location is great: 10 mins by bus from the city centre and there is a bus running every 10 mins in front of the hotel going to the airport in less than half an hour.
Unfortunately I didn't fell good the first night of our stay but all the members of the staff tried their best to help me and make me comfortable!
Everyone was very friendly and professional! Thank You!
We would recommend the murrayfield hotel to everyone, a great location from which you can start discovering a wonderful city as Edinburgh.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GiadiBi

Hi GiadiBi,

Wow - thank you for such a fantastic review of your recent stay here with us! I'm delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us, and that you were able to take advantage of our great local transport system to get you around the city.

I do hope that you are feeling better, and am happy to hear that the staff were able to help you feel more comfortable during your stay. I will make sure that each of the staff take the time to read your lovely comments. I have also passed on your comments to the kitchen team and they were delighted to hear that you enjoyed both breakfast and dinner.

I do hope to see you here again soon - remember to contact us directly to ensure the best returners rate.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We booked after reading the Trip Advisor reviews & we were not disappointed. So glad we booked this place!
Absolutely gorgeous interiors- very clean, & modern with a few old fashioned twists.
The room had a big flat screen tv (which the other half was super impressed with!), tea & coffee making faculties were great- with filter coffee & even some lovely caramel wafers :)
It has an attached restaurant & bar which is nice.
We slept wonderfully- the bed was SO comfy!
The hotel is in a prime location. It's about a 3 minute drive, just the right distance away from the main streets to avoid the hustle & bustle.
All in all a perfect hotel. This place knows how to make guest happy & it set us up for a fantastic trip in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Kay N

Hi Kay N,

Wow - thank you for such a brilliant review! I'm so happy to hear that you had such a fantastic stay with us - and that you enjoyed the little extras that we add to each of the rooms (the caramel wafers are my favourite!).

It's great to hear that our guests are able to take advantage of our great location, and we have a fantastic local transport system from right outside our door.

I do hope that we will see you again soon - remember to contact us directly when you are next returning.

Don't stay away too long ...

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

A little further out but great bus links into the center and airport. You will need exact change for the buses though - £1.50 single, £3.50 day rider. The room was small but cute and modern, it was perfect for our stay as we were out a lot. Bed was very comfortable and complementary water and tea cakes was appreciated. Only thing stopped full marks is that we had to wait a long time to be served at the bar whenever we went however i think there was a lot of new staff on. Thanks for a nice stay.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Elizabeth T,

Thank you for leaving such a great review of your recent stay with us! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of our great location. The complimentary teacakes go down a storm with all of our guests too!

I do apologise for the wait you experienced whilst waiting to be served at The Bothy and have passed your comments on to the General Manager.

Please contact us directly when you are next returning, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back anytime.