Murrayfield Hotel and House
Agoda.com
US$185
US$167
2,226 results
All reviewsbothy restaurantcity centretv in the mirrorthe main hotellovely hoteledinburgh zoobus stoplovely roomlittle touchesbooked this hotelno lifttea and coffeefull scottish breakfastbreakfast was deliciousprinces streetrugbybuses
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Like anywhere else, this place has it's share of strengths and weaknesses based upon my own experience.

What I really want to know is how places like the Murrayfield hotel can justify their ludicrous prices? I'm aware that every hotel is the same so this is not a direct slant against this particular hotel. I appreciate that the Fringe Festival is a busy time and every hotel increases their prices but I feel a little bit frustrated regardless...

Anyway, the room was lovely and clean. Bathroom was also spotless although the hot water was slightly better than lukewarm. Would have preferred it to be set at a hotter temperature.
I liked the tea and biscuit selection too.

The blonde haired receptionist was extremely friendly and courteous. A real asset. Keep up the good work.

Hugely disappointed with breakfast though.
The Scottish breakfast portion size was utterly abysmal. The potato scone triangle was TINY and they only give you ONE sausage. I'm not greedy by any means, might I add. The cereal selection was quite frankly rubbish. Also, I feel I need to add that the waiter was a nice guy but inconsistent. Overly nice and maybe even forward the first morning and then quiet and aloof the next morning. I felt like a bit of a nuisance the second morning and I paid lots of money for this experience so I will tell it exactly how it is. I would highly recommend eating elsewhere for breakfast.

Location was excellent.

I would have given 5 stars if I paid half the price and if the breakfast experience was vastly improved. Apart from that, everything was fine.

1  Thank Brinski
Central E, Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Good Morning Brinksi,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us; I appreciate all feedback provided to me by guests to enable us to see what areas need improved upon.

I do apologise for the service you received during your breakfast experience, and your comments have been passed on to the General Manager of The Bothy as well as the kitchen team in order for these issues to be addressed.

As you stated, hotel prices across Edinburgh increase during August for the Festival - we do however, have offers and deals on throughout the year to help our guests reduce their costs. I do hope that you will keep in contact to enable you to receive these fantastic offers, and visit us again.

Best wishes.

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Came up for a 4 night stay to enjoy the Fringe. The room and decor was lovely, beds very comfortable and bathroom exquisite. However, the customer service needs work. When we arrived there was nobody on reception, but when we were served the girl was very nice showed us to our room and gave us all the relevant information. The small box on the wall in our room , we were told, would be filled with 'treats' however they never appeared. The gentleman who served us at breakfast was kind and informal but - despite serving us two mornings in a row - assumed we happened to be part of a travelling group and moved us from table to table 3 times. At 7 o'clock in the morning this was not appreciated. Also, to the gentleman standing in reception who watched us struggle up the steps and through the door with our cases. In the future I'm sure guests would appreciate the small gesture of having the door opened for them. It was a shame that the customer service was not up to mark as the rest of the hotel was. If this was addressed I would love to return and be able to give a 5/5.

Stayed: August 2014

Good Morning Sell2407,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us; I appreciate all feedback provided by guests.

I am disappointed to hear that you found the service to be lacking; we are regularly complimented on how friendly, helpful and attentive the staff are by other guests. I do apologise that there was no one at the reception desk to welcome you, however, as you experienced yourself, the reception team do personally show each of our guests to their room and explain certain features within the room. That does unfortunately mean that there are small, and infrequent, periods that the reception desk is unmanned, something we are working hard on rectifying.

I am currently investigating which member of staff failed to help in opening the door for you upon your arrival, as this is unacceptable, and again I apologise for this. I have also passed on your comments with regards to the breakfast service to the General Manager of The Bothy, in order for these issues to be addressed.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room, and if you would like to contact me directly at the email address below, I will ensure that the 'treats' that failed to materialise throughout your stay, are delivered to you.

I do hope, that despite our shortcomings, that you enjoyed your visit to the Edinburgh Fringe.

Kind regards

Linda Keddie - Hotel Manager
murrayfield@centraledinburghhotels.co.uk

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We chose this hotel for location and easy access by public transport to both Airport and City.
The hotel staff were excellent, Room small but ideal for a short stay. Bothy bar and food informal The atmosphere suited us..Early Breakfast and late night access important. Bus stop outside hotel. Airlink service to Airport every 10 mins and frequent Lothian Buses to City. Make sure you have lots of change for the buses - day ticket good value but need exact fare.
Note this hotel is not on the Tram Route

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Robert W
Central E, Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Good Morning Robert W,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review of your recent stay; I appreciate all feedback from guests, and it's pleasing to hear such positive comments.

I will pass on your kind words to the reception team - I know that they will be thrilled that you found them to be excellent. It's also great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our great location and bus system - The Bothy can always provide change where needed to ensure you have the correct money for bus tickets too!

I hope that I will see you here again soon - remember to contact us directly to ensure the best returners rate.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed at the Murrayfield for 2 nights of our honeymoon and it was amazing! The room was completely renovated and bigger than our house. Linda at the front desk was awesome before we got there, confirming our stay with emails, etc. and once we were there helping us with suggestions what to do around the city and anything we needed from the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to ANYONE travelling through Edinburgh.

Room Tip: I forget our room #, but I'm sure all of them are beautiful! There are only a few rooms so book early!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HollyF70
Central E, Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Hi HollyF70,

Wow - thank you for such an amazing 5 star review! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to play a small part in your honeymoon!

It was a pleasure to have welcomed you to the hotel, and being able to help and give suggestions of what to do around Edinburgh - we all work very hard in making sure that our guests are happy and make the most of their time in our beautiful city.

I do hope that we will see you again soon!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Beautiful decor, the service was excellent and was outstanding value for money. We stayed to visit the Edinburgh Fesitival. It is a couple of miles from the city but bus and taxi routes are easy and quick.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank STEPHANIEKATEP

Good Morning STEPHANIEKATEP,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review of your recent stay with us! All feedback is greatly appreciated, and it's always good to hear such positive feedback.

I'm delighted to hear that you found the service to be excellent and I will make sure that each of the staff take the time to read your kind comments.

Be sure to contact us directly when you are next returning so that we can provide you with the best returners rate.