“A great boutique hotel with a fantastic bistro and bar .”

Murrayfield Hotel and House
Ranked #36 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed for the first time at the Murrayfield Hotel on Thursday night and as a regular at Malmaison and occasionally Hotel du Vin, I was apprehensive but, I had no reason to be. With one of the best known bars in Scotland attached ( opposite the rugby ground) I thought that it might not be as luxurious or corporate - it was just great. Very clean and spacious room with 4 poster and huge bathroom - fluffy towels and bathrobes , I was very happy . The staff in the bar ( in their very trendy kilts ) & in the restaurant were arguably the friendliest I have ever come across . I hear that the hotel is owned by a Glasgow based company - well that might explain the warm welcome , generous portions and superb food . I am from Aberdeen so not biased ! In the middle of the festival it was a joy to be a short walk out of town to leafy Murrayfield and I have already been on to book the hotel for a shopping break at Christmas. Can't wait.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Sheepy29
Central E, Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Hi Sheepy29,

Wow - thank you for such an amazing 5* review! I am delighted to hear that we ticked all of the boxes on your recent stay with us here.

We certainly think that we have the best of both worlds with our location - far enough out of the city centre to relax, but close enough that we are not missing out on any of the action!

I will make sure that the Bothy team read your lovely comments, I am sure they will be overjoyed to hear that you think they are the friendliest bunch that you have come across!

I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Recently held a celebration dinner for my sons 21st in the Doocot suite and it was fantastic.
From the outset everything went well from a nominated contact who provided assistance in choosing a set meal with a choice of 3 starters, mains and sweets, and making sure we had everything required.
The staff on the day were great too and couldn't do enough to ensure the evening was a success.
The food was lovely - and of course the drinks went down well.
The evening was as good as the last private dinner we held in the Doocot a couple of years back however the hotel had since been totally refurbished and looks great.
I would not hesitate recommending the Murrayfield to anybody thinking of holding a function. Well done to all for helping make our night a success

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Kerry62_13

Hi Kerry62_13,

Thank you for such a fantastic review of your recent celebrations in The Doocot. I'm delighted to hear that you all had such a wonderful time and that we were able to assist with making the evening a success. I will make sure that each of the staff take the time to read your kind words, as I'm sure that it will make their day.

As you noted, we have gone under refurbishment within the last year, so it's great to hear that you enjoyed the new decor.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I was anxious as I pulled into the car park and realised that the main hotel was attached to a thriving bar - very trendy looking and the sort of place I might go to to watch the rugby or similar, but not the sort of thing I want attached to my hotel.

Thankfully the superior rooms are all located in a separate House Hotel just a few doors down the road. This was much nicer, though didn't have its own parking.

The rooms inside all had very trendy decor, though it was starting to look a little tired in our own room; there was a patch of plaster missing from the wall as you pulled back the curtains, and some of the quirky ornaments looked a bit like cheap tat but I liked them anyway - it was certainly characterful. All except for the sofas and oversized lamp in the front garden, which I think looked like an excellent hangout for a group of tramps, or like the council hadn't been yet to collect the old and much rained on furniture.

I had two problems with the hotel, which left me unlikely to return. The first was the bed; our 'large double' was in fact two single beds zipped together with the most palpable ridge I have ever encountered. Without any sort of mattress topper or covering you can choose to sleep far away from your partner or spend the night feeling like the princess had an easy ride, just having to sleep on a little pea.

The second issue that I had was with bike storage - understandably this won't be a problem for the majority of guests at the hotel, but we had e mailed in advance to confirm that there was available secure storage for our bikes before we decided to bring them. We were reassured that they could go into a locked garage. This garage is also used as the cleaning and bedding storage for all of the rooms in the house, and has a large boiler making bike storage a little like a game of tetris, and a bit of a struggle. More of a concern was the number of times that the garage (with a large bike painted on the front to invite burglars in) was left with the key in the lock every day of our stay, whilst the housekeeper was working at the house.

We locked our bikes up in the garage, and though they weren't stolen and we have brought them safely home, I certainly wouldn't take it back there.

Room Tip: Make sure you stay in the house part if you want to avoid the pub!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca487
Central E, Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Hi Rebecca487,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review of your stay with us.

I am disappointed to hear that you were not fully happy with your recent stay with us, nor that I was able to talk to you directly before you departed the hotel.

We do advertise the fact that there is a restaurant and bar attached to the hotel, and when possible, allocate quiet rooms to those who request them. I am happy to hear that we were able to allocate you a room in the House and away from the bar and restaurant.

We do have limited space with regards to storing of bicycles, so we do try our best to accommodate guest requests to do so. It is something that I will work hard on trying to rectify, and I will certainly speak to our Housekeeping team with regards to leaving the door open and unlocked.

I do hope that you enjoyed the rest of your stay, despite our letdowns.

Linda Keddie - Hotel Manager

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Like anywhere else, this place has it's share of strengths and weaknesses based upon my own experience.

What I really want to know is how places like the Murrayfield hotel can justify their ludicrous prices? I'm aware that every hotel is the same so this is not a direct slant against this particular hotel. I appreciate that the Fringe Festival is a busy time and every hotel increases their prices but I feel a little bit frustrated regardless...

Anyway, the room was lovely and clean. Bathroom was also spotless although the hot water was slightly better than lukewarm. Would have preferred it to be set at a hotter temperature.
I liked the tea and biscuit selection too.

The blonde haired receptionist was extremely friendly and courteous. A real asset. Keep up the good work.

Hugely disappointed with breakfast though.
The Scottish breakfast portion size was utterly abysmal. The potato scone triangle was TINY and they only give you ONE sausage. I'm not greedy by any means, might I add. The cereal selection was quite frankly rubbish. Also, I feel I need to add that the waiter was a nice guy but inconsistent. Overly nice and maybe even forward the first morning and then quiet and aloof the next morning. I felt like a bit of a nuisance the second morning and I paid lots of money for this experience so I will tell it exactly how it is. I would highly recommend eating elsewhere for breakfast.

Location was excellent.

I would have given 5 stars if I paid half the price and if the breakfast experience was vastly improved. Apart from that, everything was fine.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brinski

Good Morning Brinksi,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us; I appreciate all feedback provided to me by guests to enable us to see what areas need improved upon.

I do apologise for the service you received during your breakfast experience, and your comments have been passed on to the General Manager of The Bothy as well as the kitchen team in order for these issues to be addressed.

As you stated, hotel prices across Edinburgh increase during August for the Festival - we do however, have offers and deals on throughout the year to help our guests reduce their costs. I do hope that you will keep in contact to enable you to receive these fantastic offers, and visit us again.

Best wishes.

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Came up for a 4 night stay to enjoy the Fringe. The room and decor was lovely, beds very comfortable and bathroom exquisite. However, the customer service needs work. When we arrived there was nobody on reception, but when we were served the girl was very nice showed us to our room and gave us all the relevant information. The small box on the wall in our room , we were told, would be filled with 'treats' however they never appeared. The gentleman who served us at breakfast was kind and informal but - despite serving us two mornings in a row - assumed we happened to be part of a travelling group and moved us from table to table 3 times. At 7 o'clock in the morning this was not appreciated. Also, to the gentleman standing in reception who watched us struggle up the steps and through the door with our cases. In the future I'm sure guests would appreciate the small gesture of having the door opened for them. It was a shame that the customer service was not up to mark as the rest of the hotel was. If this was addressed I would love to return and be able to give a 5/5.

Stayed: August 2014

Good Morning Sell2407,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us; I appreciate all feedback provided by guests.

I am disappointed to hear that you found the service to be lacking; we are regularly complimented on how friendly, helpful and attentive the staff are by other guests. I do apologise that there was no one at the reception desk to welcome you, however, as you experienced yourself, the reception team do personally show each of our guests to their room and explain certain features within the room. That does unfortunately mean that there are small, and infrequent, periods that the reception desk is unmanned, something we are working hard on rectifying.

I am currently investigating which member of staff failed to help in opening the door for you upon your arrival, as this is unacceptable, and again I apologise for this. I have also passed on your comments with regards to the breakfast service to the General Manager of The Bothy, in order for these issues to be addressed.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room, and if you would like to contact me directly at the email address below, I will ensure that the 'treats' that failed to materialise throughout your stay, are delivered to you.

I do hope, that despite our shortcomings, that you enjoyed your visit to the Edinburgh Fringe.

Kind regards

Linda Keddie - Hotel Manager
murrayfield@centraledinburghhotels.co.uk

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We chose this hotel for location and easy access by public transport to both Airport and City.
The hotel staff were excellent, Room small but ideal for a short stay. Bothy bar and food informal The atmosphere suited us..Early Breakfast and late night access important. Bus stop outside hotel. Airlink service to Airport every 10 mins and frequent Lothian Buses to City. Make sure you have lots of change for the buses - day ticket good value but need exact fare.
Note this hotel is not on the Tram Route

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Robert W
Central E, Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Good Morning Robert W,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review of your recent stay; I appreciate all feedback from guests, and it's pleasing to hear such positive comments.

I will pass on your kind words to the reception team - I know that they will be thrilled that you found them to be excellent. It's also great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our great location and bus system - The Bothy can always provide change where needed to ensure you have the correct money for bus tickets too!

I hope that I will see you here again soon - remember to contact us directly to ensure the best returners rate.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed at the Murrayfield for 2 nights of our honeymoon and it was amazing! The room was completely renovated and bigger than our house. Linda at the front desk was awesome before we got there, confirming our stay with emails, etc. and once we were there helping us with suggestions what to do around the city and anything we needed from the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to ANYONE travelling through Edinburgh.

Room Tip: I forget our room #, but I'm sure all of them are beautiful! There are only a few rooms so book...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HollyF70
Central E, Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Hi HollyF70,

Wow - thank you for such an amazing 5 star review! I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to play a small part in your honeymoon!

It was a pleasure to have welcomed you to the hotel, and being able to help and give suggestions of what to do around Edinburgh - we all work very hard in making sure that our guests are happy and make the most of their time in our beautiful city.

I do hope that we will see you again soon!