“Edinburgh Novotel Lauriston”

Novotel Edinburgh Centre
Ranked #73 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Renfrewshire
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend last night and found the customer service from the lady at the desk terrible. One of the reasons we booked this hotel was because it had parking but when we arrived at 1.30pm there were no spaces left and the only option we had was to pay for street parking!! The receptionist did not care and told us there was nothing she could do.

The room was worn and there were dirty marks on the carpets and curtains. There were two long hairs in the bath which meant I couldn't use it and when I went to use the shower there were more hairs on the shower and on the tiles- it was disgusting. When I mentioned this to the receptionist at check out she just shrugged and said they are understaffed!! I don't think this is a valid excuse when paying nearly £150 to stay here for 1 night!

There was also a constant humming noise which sounded like an extractor fan or something going on all night which resulted in us both having a broken sleep,

On check put the receptionist asked if we used anything from the mini bar (the fridge only had 2 bottles of still and 2 bottles of sparking water) and I said we drank 2 bottles of water but I assumed it was complimentary as there was no price list. I said this to her and she accused me of lying and said there is a price list in every room. By this point I just wanted to leave and paid for the water but I have never received such terrible customer service in my life.

I will never stay with the Novotel again!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
2 Thank Kaylz440
M_Pichot, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for your comments and apologise for your disappointment, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and find it good value. The staff are always friendly, breakfast is to a good standard and bar prices are not extorniate. I have always found the rooms clean and spacious, the only grumble I would have is that the mattresses are not that comfortable - ok for one night. Overall a good location at a good price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
M_Pichot, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We have taken note of your constructive feedback about mattress and will certainly investigate further.
Look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Durham
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stayed with friends for three nights. This is a really good hotel and very good value. Booked through Hotels.com and got a great deal. Rack rate seems very high. Reception staff were very friendly. Breakfast was good with a buffet of cooked foods, fruit, cereal, various breads and bakery products etc.
I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it as a good city centre hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable.

Regards,
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed here for a business trip along with a colleague of mine. We had problems on check in as they could not find my colleague's name on the system and insisted he wasn't booked in. Eventually after some messing around they found that his name had been spelt wrong. Then they wanted to pre-charge my card on arrival even though the room was booked for on account. I explained this to them and again after some typing on the computer they eventually resolved the error.

The room was nice and spacious although the layout was a little confusing. The toilet was separate to the rest of the bathroom right by the bedroom door which I found quite awkward. They should at least have another sink in the toilet for you to wash your hands! Otherwise the room was fine.

Breakfast was adequate. I came down at 7am (breakfast was advertised to start at this time) and there were a few people already down. They was no-one to greet me though and I ended up waiting several minutes before someone showed me to a table. I then had to wait a while before I could grab the attention of someone to ask for a pot of tea. I waited another 10 minutes or so before this was eventually brought out to me. The staff seemed too busy laying the table with cutlery etc. although they really should have been focusing their attention on the guests who were already down for breakfast at that time.

On check on I was again prompted for payment of my room and again had to remind them that the room was booked for on account. After several minutes of typing away the receptionist called over her colleague and asked for assistance. She told her that yes my room was booked for on account. There was no apology even after I explained I had the same problem when checking in.

All in all it seems the customer service is lacking somewhat and they are not geared up towards business guests which is disappointing. I have used several other Accor hotels in the past which have been excellent but unfortunately this one doesn't quite live up to their usual standards.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

Leeds
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Check in, a lovely young dark haired girl, very helpful and friendly. Her colleague however, the complete opposite ( short man, dark haired, black glasses) miserable, unsmiling.
We had a basic room which is just that, VERY basic with a toytown toilet cubicle,which seemed like a coffin if you closed the door but let's just say that the other option of leaving it open wasn't very pleasant either as the toilet is then in the bedroom! The tiniest open wardrobe (for dolls clothes perhaps) a very low bed, small shower cubicle and sink area.....all in all seemed like a room designed for Hobbits. Everything in the room was done on the cheap, curtains were dirty and holey, carpet dirty and just generally felt like a budget hotel rather than one which cost £129
The bed has a thin, very hard mattress, the duvet, lumpy and the pillows wafer thin.
The sofa was the same....rock hard and very uncomfortable.
The hearing wasn't working, on arriving back from a day out freezing I put it to 30 degrees for a quick blast of heat....nothing! Didn't get the engineer to have a look as we were going back out I an hour or so.

The car parking is an absolute joke! Space for only a few cars and only if you have a noddy car as not much else can fit in and allow you to open your door to get out.........the fee is £15 PER EXIT.......we only took our car out on departure so cannot tell you if it really means that........so if you plan on using your car several time during your stay in this hotel it could end up costing you more than your trip is check that out with the hotel before you book.

It is hard to find any positives about this hotel......only the staff (with the exception of the aforementioned chap on reception)have saved me scoring it a zero..... Everyone else I came into contact with were perfectly pleasant.

1 Thank rightdave
I am sorry that on this occasion that you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and I am currently investigating this matter. Please feel to contact me at h3271-fo1@accor.com

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

The hotel and rooms were very tidy and comfortable, no complaints. We stopped here to attend a show at Usher Hall, which is just down the road, the hotel was also in a good central location to visit the city. We didn't eat in the restaurant or visit the bar as we found the price of the breakfast to be a little expensive, so we went elsewhere, which was no problem.