“Weekend Stay”

Novotel Edinburgh Centre
Ranked #71 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Overall a very good stay. We were in one of their queen suites which was a good size and nice having the extra living space. The carpet could do with replacing as it is very worn and tired looking.

Car parking was ideal - as we were there for the weekend it was great value at only £15.

The breakfast was good although selection was slightly limited and some of the items (waffles in particular) were pretty hard as though they had been sitting out for a while.

Overall, a good value for money stay and despite the couple of negatives, I would recommend and stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room to ensure you get the best view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
M_Pichot, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Thanks for your constructive feedback. I will definately look into the issues you have mentioned.
I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully.

Kind regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,747)

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Lovely welcome
Parking a pain as with all city hotels
Upgraded when we booked in - nice.
All staff lovely
Room clean and comfy - kids complained about the fold down sofa which did have a steel bar through it vertically.
Relaxed and attentive hotel.
Leisure facilities clean, warm and enough to unwind in after a six hour drive. - kids loved it.
Don't expect to do a challenging swim - 18m long - Relax.
Great location - everywhere walkable.
Everything for breakfast and super mushrooms - great attentive service.
They do actually care how you are.
Return - definitely, especially for what we paid for direct with Novotel.

Room Tip: from 435 we could see the castle
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend last night and found the customer service from the lady at the desk terrible. One of the reasons we booked this hotel was because it had parking but when we arrived at 1.30pm there were no spaces left and the only option we had was to pay for street parking!! The receptionist did not care and told us there was nothing she could do.

The room was worn and there were dirty marks on the carpets and curtains. There were two long hairs in the bath which meant I couldn't use it and when I went to use the shower there were more hairs on the shower and on the tiles- it was disgusting. When I mentioned this to the receptionist at check out she just shrugged and said they are understaffed!! I don't think this is a valid excuse when paying nearly £150 to stay here for 1 night!

There was also a constant humming noise which sounded like an extractor fan or something going on all night which resulted in us both having a broken sleep,

On check put the receptionist asked if we used anything from the mini bar (the fridge only had 2 bottles of still and 2 bottles of sparking water) and I said we drank 2 bottles of water but I assumed it was complimentary as there was no price list. I said this to her and she accused me of lying and said there is a price list in every room. By this point I just wanted to leave and paid for the water but I have never received such terrible customer service in my life.

I will never stay with the Novotel again!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kaylz440

Thank you for your comments and apologise for your disappointment, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and find it good value. The staff are always friendly, breakfast is to a good standard and bar prices are not extorniate. I have always found the rooms clean and spacious, the only grumble I would have is that the mattresses are not that comfortable - ok for one night. Overall a good location at a good price.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
M_Pichot, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We have taken note of your constructive feedback about mattress and will certainly investigate further.
Look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stayed with friends for three nights. This is a really good hotel and very good value. Booked through Hotels.com and got a great deal. Rack rate seems very high. Reception staff were very friendly. Breakfast was good with a buffet of cooked foods, fruit, cereal, various breads and bakery products etc.
I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it as a good city centre hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable.

Regards,

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed here for a business trip along with a colleague of mine. We had problems on check in as they could not find my colleague's name on the system and insisted he wasn't booked in. Eventually after some messing around they found that his name had been spelt wrong. Then they wanted to pre-charge my card on arrival even though the room was booked for on account. I explained this to them and again after some typing on the computer they eventually resolved the error.

The room was nice and spacious although the layout was a little confusing. The toilet was separate to the rest of the bathroom right by the bedroom door which I found quite awkward. They should at least have another sink in the toilet for you to wash your hands! Otherwise the room was fine.

Breakfast was adequate. I came down at 7am (breakfast was advertised to start at this time) and there were a few people already down. They was no-one to greet me though and I ended up waiting several minutes before someone showed me to a table. I then had to wait a while before I could grab the attention of someone to ask for a pot of tea. I waited another 10 minutes or so before this was eventually brought out to me. The staff seemed too busy laying the table with cutlery etc. although they really should have been focusing their attention on the guests who were already down for breakfast at that time.

On check on I was again prompted for payment of my room and again had to remind them that the room was booked for on account. After several minutes of typing away the receptionist called over her colleague and asked for assistance. She told her that yes my room was booked for on account. There was no apology even after I explained I had the same problem when checking in.

All in all it seems the customer service is lacking somewhat and they are not geared up towards business guests which is disappointing. I have used several other Accor hotels in the past which have been excellent but unfortunately this one doesn't quite live up to their usual standards.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.