“Very Pleased - Great Value”

Novotel Edinburgh Centre
Ranked #74 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“Very Pleased - Great Value”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My wife and I have visited Edinburgh many times before but this the first time we have stayed in the Novotel there. I am very happy to report that the next time we are in Edinburgh (at New Year) we will booking this hotel again. The location is really good and you can walk to Princes street in 10-15 mins, the Grassmarket in 5 mins and the Royal mile in 10 minutes, how good is that ? The staff we very helpful and nothing seemed to much trouble and they always seemd genuinely please to help out. The room was very spacious and well appointed, I always like having a proper seat to use when watching TV and of course all these rooms have that. The breakfast was nice, the usual fairly standard (full English) and as we were offered a discount price when we booked in I think a very acceptable price (over £15 would be too much). If I had one very small complaint it would be it would because the pool is directly below the reception sometimes the smell of the chlorine can be a bit potent. That it is really only during the few minutes you are actually in the reception area. As I said, we had a very pleasant stay there and we intend using this hotel again.

1 Thank Frank O
M_Pichot, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Novotel Edinburgh Centre. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Overall a very good stay. We were in one of their queen suites which was a good size and nice having the extra living space. The carpet could do with replacing as it is very worn and tired looking.

Car parking was ideal - as we were there for the weekend it was great value at only £15.

The breakfast was good although selection was slightly limited and some of the items (waffles in particular) were pretty hard as though they had been sitting out for a while.

Overall, a good value for money stay and despite the couple of negatives, I would recommend and stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room to ensure you get the best view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your constructive feedback. I will definately look into the issues you have mentioned.
I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Lovely welcome
Parking a pain as with all city hotels
Upgraded when we booked in - nice.
All staff lovely
Room clean and comfy - kids complained about the fold down sofa which did have a steel bar through it vertically.
Relaxed and attentive hotel.
Leisure facilities clean, warm and enough to unwind in after a six hour drive. - kids loved it.
Don't expect to do a challenging swim - 18m long - Relax.
Great location - everywhere walkable.
Everything for breakfast and super mushrooms - great attentive service.
They do actually care how you are.
Return - definitely, especially for what we paid for direct with Novotel.

Room Tip: from 435 we could see the castle
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Renfrewshire
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend last night and found the customer service from the lady at the desk terrible. One of the reasons we booked this hotel was because it had parking but when we arrived at 1.30pm there were no spaces left and the only option we had was to pay for street parking!! The receptionist did not care and told us there was nothing she could do.

The room was worn and there were dirty marks on the carpets and curtains. There were two long hairs in the bath which meant I couldn't use it and when I went to use the shower there were more hairs on the shower and on the tiles- it was disgusting. When I mentioned this to the receptionist at check out she just shrugged and said they are understaffed!! I don't think this is a valid excuse when paying nearly £150 to stay here for 1 night!

There was also a constant humming noise which sounded like an extractor fan or something going on all night which resulted in us both having a broken sleep,

On check put the receptionist asked if we used anything from the mini bar (the fridge only had 2 bottles of still and 2 bottles of sparking water) and I said we drank 2 bottles of water but I assumed it was complimentary as there was no price list. I said this to her and she accused me of lying and said there is a price list in every room. By this point I just wanted to leave and paid for the water but I have never received such terrible customer service in my life.

I will never stay with the Novotel again!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
2 Thank Kaylz440
Thank you for your comments and apologise for your disappointment, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and find it good value. The staff are always friendly, breakfast is to a good standard and bar prices are not extorniate. I have always found the rooms clean and spacious, the only grumble I would have is that the mattresses are not that comfortable - ok for one night. Overall a good location at a good price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
M_Pichot, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We have taken note of your constructive feedback about mattress and will certainly investigate further.
Look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Durham
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stayed with friends for three nights. This is a really good hotel and very good value. Booked through Hotels.com and got a great deal. Rack rate seems very high. Reception staff were very friendly. Breakfast was good with a buffet of cooked foods, fruit, cereal, various breads and bakery products etc.
I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it as a good city centre hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable.

Regards,