“Novotel Edinburgh”

Ranked #71 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Had an overnight stay at Novotel Edinburgh. Nice welcome. Room really spacious all the better for the 40% reduction. Very Scandinavian feeling about room and hotel. Toilet separate from bathroom, good idea! Bed and pillow a little hard but didn't deter from overall stay. Had a coffee in the bar and the waiter kindly fetched some biscuits I had asked for to have with my coffee. Later had a cocktail which was delicious. Central enough without the noise and hustle and bustle of a large city like Edinburgh. Also asked for a taxi on a couple of occasions, this was no problem for the desk staff.

Room Tip: Breakfast not included in price of room and was quite expensive but you did get 2 children free with...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lorraine D
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

I will share your feedback with our team. I am sure that this will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel was only ok. The room was cold but clean on arrival. It remained cold and the shower wasn't particularly warm either. The maid service was poor as the beds were hardly made and dirty glasses left. It was also noisy with it being on a main road. Breakfast was good and plenty of variety. The staff were friendly and the location was really good. For the price it was adequate but there is room for improvement.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Delibean
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Thank you for your positive feedback on hotel staff, location and breakfast. I have taken note of your comments about service of room and apologise for your disappointment.
We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed at this hotel for Christmas. Since everything was closed on the 25th and 26th, breakfast at this hotel was convenient, although not cheap. The selection was good, and it did the trick before heading out for visiting around. My husband and I had a room with 2 single beds, which was fine for us since we are used to the north-american massive king-size beds, which are rare in Europe. The room was clean and convenient, although my bed was missing a foot/wheel and so was slightly slanting. We were surprised that the bottled water in the room was chargeable, which was not clearly marked with a price list, and there was already a used bottle in the fridge upon our arrival, and so were not charged for it. Location was good, everything more or less walking distance (some places seemed further just because of how cold it was, but would not be an issue in nice weather :-)). On-street parking was free on holidays, then we were able to park at the hotel car park for the remainder of our stay (3 days) for something like 15 pounds, which was awesome. You only pay upon exiting the car park, be it 1 day or 5, so you have interest parking for a while. It is also hard to get a spot and they go really quickly, as they only have a dozen or so, and non-reservable. Would recommend this hotel, but with so many options around, know that you can have breakfast and meals within a 5 minute walk..

Room Tip: Apparently you can request a room with a castle view. Booking from a discount website, we didn'...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marie-Eve T

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip soon.

Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Our room was very clean, we had everything we needed, the staff were very polite and helpful, breakfast was ok, but expensive, wouldn't have breakfast there again, quiet local to most of the attraction, shops and pubs, would Defo use this hotel again if visiting Edinburgh.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Stayed for 1 night with our 12 and 10 year old children. We have previously stayed in the Novotel Edinburgh Park (which is excellent). This hotel seems to be a bit short on space. The pool is very small (but at least they have one!), the changing rooms are tiny and our room was a bit of a squash. But, the location more than makes up for all that - a 10 minute walk to Princes Street and even less to the Grassmarket. The staff were all very pleasant and the breakfast was excellent. We will definitely return soon.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pammyjz

Thank you for leaving your thoughts. I appreciate you positive feedback on hotel staff and the location. I have also taken note of your constructive feedback and apologise for your disappointment.
I look forward to welcome you back.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel mid January 2014 for 3 nights. Arrived around 11:30 & expected to have to leave my bags in the luggage room but my room was ready. Room was spacious & spotless, the bed was SOOO comfortable it was a struggle to get out of bed in the morning, Breakfast was beautiful and plenty of choice. Had room service on the Wednesday night & I can honestly say that the burger I had was the tastiest I have ever had in my life. Location wise it is a little trek to the tourist attractions but plenty of bars around for the night time. I will definitely be returning in the future!!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review. We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Novotel Edinburgh Centre. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I am very pleased to hear you had a comfortable stay with us.

Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

I stay here regularly for business and can't fault the hotel at all.

Usually pay circa £75 a night including breakfast. Breakfast is vast with a huge selection.

Rooms are always clean & well presented.

The main shopping and restaurant area is about a 15mins walk.

It lacks that little bit of quality but good value for money.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your review. We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Novotel Edinburgh Centre. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.