“Delightful”

Novotel Edinburgh Centre
Ranked #73 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We booked this hotel as they had an excellent rate and offer far better services and amenities than a budget hotel. We have never stayed in a Novotel before but we could not have been more delighted! In other hotels we have previously stayed, staff have made us feel unwelcome and are particularly "snobbish" towards us as we are young travellers. Every member of staff at this hotel, albeit the reception, bar or restaurant were extremely friendly and treated us with respect. The room was spacious for two people with a good size, comfy bed and a sofa too. We particularly enjoyed the swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna after a long day of sight-seeing. Breakfast was of a good quality with a hot and cold buffet. Overall we were extremely satisfied with our stay and would definitely consider returning to this hotel or a different Novotel again.

Room Tip: Best to get a room not overlooking the hotel entrance.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We originally booked here as our usual hotel (next door) was fully booked. I was a bit concerned after reading some of the reviews but we couldn't be more impressed following our experiences during our stay.

Our boys slept in a sofa bed and some reviews had suggested this might make room tight, it didn't. There we're also some lovely touches, our children were offered a choice of a toy or headphones on arrival - two children well and truly hooked, an Xbox and a small toy area with books, apples for young fingers to snatch and even an organised activity for Easter.

Free body wash for the forgetful, a free to use jacuzzi,sauna, steam room, swimming pool and gym. Hint don't bother with the changing rooms, they are ridiculously small and not private. We put our cozzis on under our clothes and wrapped up in towels before dashing for the lift.

Staff were attentive and extremely well presented, even late at night. Our kettle was faulty and blew out the electrics, a quick phone call and the fuse was repaired in less than half an hour.

Food was really good quality and price reasonable given you can pay more in the restaurants round about, again service was great although my kids were disappointed when the 'make your own pizza' event was cancelled. Hint, there can be a queue at breakfast get down as early as you can

Some suggestions for improvement:
I use a mobility scooter and the staff had to accommodate this in their own space as there is no charge point in the luggage store.
The Xbox kept breaking down, maybe needs a repair but it was being well used.

Overall a very positive experience.

1  Thank MyrrScotland

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We had a bit of trouble with parking, but eventually found a space. The rooms were great- 1 double bed, 1 double sofa bed, a TV, a Nespresso machine and capsules, a mini bar, a hairdryer, an iron and ironing board, 1 toilet room and 1 bathroom. The only problems were that the bathroom door didn't lock and the AC didn't work that great. When the cleaners came they changed our sheets and gave us new Nespresso capsules and soap.
We used the pool every day- and from experience the best times to go are at 3pm (when everyone is checking out) and morning 9-10ish (when everyone is having breakfast). The changing rooms are small and communal and you also need a code from reception.
The location is great- 10mins walk from Edinburgh castle and about 7mins from the Royal Mile. There are lots of shops in the area too.
Overall it was a good stay!

1  Thank Aais2013

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We just got back from a three nights stay at the Novotel. The location is very good in a quiet street just a short walk from the Castle. If you are lucky like us you might get a Castle view! Our bedroom was very well equipped, bright and spacious. The bathroom had both shower and bath and the toilet are separated. The swimming pool, Jacuzzi, steam room and sauna are quiet small but a great addition to the hotel facilities. Wifi is available and fast. We didn't get to use the bar or restaurant.

Room Tip: Try to request a castle view!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Novotel Edinburgh Centre. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The hotel is well located but the rooms are small, bathroom separate to the toilet. Swimming pool - dirty floor, no facilities, entrance with code that you are not informed about previously so you have to run back to the reception. No toilets at the pool.
For one night stay ok but for a romantic holiday in the beautiful Edinburgh, wouldn't recommend.
Constant queues at the reception.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for leaving your thoughts. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory and I apologise for your disappointment.
At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your constructive feedback is very important to us.
We appreciate you sharing your feedback and it is our hope that you will allow us an opportunity to serve you better in the near future.

Regards,

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Sadly dissapointed with my stay here on 16th April 2014. Booked this hotel as was on business trip. My business was at the opposite side of the city. I chose this hotel spacifically as it had onsite secure parking. This was issued on a 1st come 1st served basis. The hotel failed to mention this when they accepted my £115 per night booking. The onsite parking was a necessity as ive just undergone major surgery and limited to my walking ability and my vehicle had over £8000 worth of equipment. However the hotel did offer to pay my parking at another location a few miles away. Not an option for me sadly. Then as a good will gesture the girl at reception upgraded my room,oh yeah thats right this was the room i had booked so this was a blatent lie in my face. The suite i booked was avaerage. Could have done with a hoover paper wrappings on the floor and under the tv table etc. A few more minutes spent cleaning would have sorted this. The check in staff where terribly un helpful and very poor at communicating and understanding my temporary disability. I am currently writing a full letter of complaint to the Novotel HQ and will not use there hotels until my complaint is investigated fully. I dont normally complain but can't help thinking what if i was disabled indefinitely,is this the way staff are trained to deal with people. On the plus side the bar food was fairly priced and the staff in here where more helpful at moving tables and chairs etc to accomodate my needs

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank steviep0
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to write a review. If you could please forward me your details at h3271@accor.com, I would then be able to investigate the issues you pointed out and provide you with a personal reply. Without the information of your stay we are unable to address your concerns. Kind regards,