“city trip ( 27.04. - 01.05.14 )”

Novotel Edinburgh Centre
Ranked #71 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 May 2014

It is a really good hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpfully, breakfast and dinner is to be recommended. Breakfast was daily the same, but it was very diversified. The room was big enough and had a sofa. It was quiet, the only noise we heard were crying children on the floors. Bath and toilet are small but sufficient. We had a shower and a bathtub, the toilet is extra and the light becomes brighter by time, no wardrobe, but that doesn't matter. We didin't use Spa. Location is top, walking the road downwards the grassmarket begins. Royal Mile can be reached in less then 10 minutes. From the restaurant you have direct sight to edinburgh castle.
who want's to eat outside the hotel can go to "deacon brodie's tavern" at the royal mile or to "made in italy" at the grassmarket. Fair prices and very good food.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

We very much appreciate your review of Novotel Edinburgh Centre. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback, and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

I'm sure this positive feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Yours sincerely,
Craig Munro
Novotel Edinburgh Centre

Write a ReviewReviews (2,686)

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I was booked into the Novotel at Edinburgh Park but due to an apparent error, they had overbooked and so I was transferred to this hotel. I really wasn't in the best of moods when I arrived but I suspect the reception staff had been forewarned and definitely went out of their way to make me feel welcome. The room was okay but i had an adjoining door. This is not normally a problem but on this occasion, my neighbours had very young children who were awake and literally screaming from 04;30 to 06:30. My advice would be to ask for a room that doesn't have an adjoining door as the noise was definitely filtering under the door and this wouldn't have been the case otherwise. The noise issue is definitely not a criticism of the hotel and I guess this could happen to anyone but it didn't please me to be honest. I had a separate toilet and it was a bit of a mission to get in and close the door as it was quite small. The light was very dull but did get brighter after a few minutes which wasn't ideal! Generally, the room was adequate and this hotel is in a great location. Would I stay again? Yes. It's just unfortunate that I ended up there under unplanned circumstances, I was very tired on arrival and left even more tired than I arrived. The staff couldn't have been more helpful though and I will certainly remember my stay.

Room Tip: Based purely on this visit, avoid rooms with adjoining doors
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Russell P
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable. I am sorry to hear about the bookout situation you had to face and noise from adjacent room.

I hope your next stay will be more pleasant than previous one.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Visited Hotel with a party of six friends, reception area very clean smart and modern, reception staff very friendly and helpful. The rooms were adequate for what we required but noticed a large amount of fluff / dust in the corner of the room which could have easily been cleaned up but must have been overlooked by housekeeping. Leisure facilities pool etc very good clean and hygienic, also added bonus of the bar open 24 hours which was great for a night cap when returning from a night out and also the great central location of the hotel, I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to family and friends.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

all service was great and highly recommended for-anyone with quiet and staff are very helpful.Good value for money money in heart of Edinburgh of good advice making travel comfort and breakfast with buffet with different flavour love salmon fillet with red wine .great place for family and looking for someone in the centre of city .

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Novotel Edinburgh Centre. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We booked this hotel as they had an excellent rate and offer far better services and amenities than a budget hotel. We have never stayed in a Novotel before but we could not have been more delighted! In other hotels we have previously stayed, staff have made us feel unwelcome and are particularly "snobbish" towards us as we are young travellers. Every member of staff at this hotel, albeit the reception, bar or restaurant were extremely friendly and treated us with respect. The room was spacious for two people with a good size, comfy bed and a sofa too. We particularly enjoyed the swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna after a long day of sight-seeing. Breakfast was of a good quality with a hot and cold buffet. Overall we were extremely satisfied with our stay and would definitely consider returning to this hotel or a different Novotel again.

Room Tip: Best to get a room not overlooking the hotel entrance.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We originally booked here as our usual hotel (next door) was fully booked. I was a bit concerned after reading some of the reviews but we couldn't be more impressed following our experiences during our stay.

Our boys slept in a sofa bed and some reviews had suggested this might make room tight, it didn't. There we're also some lovely touches, our children were offered a choice of a toy or headphones on arrival - two children well and truly hooked, an Xbox and a small toy area with books, apples for young fingers to snatch and even an organised activity for Easter.

Free body wash for the forgetful, a free to use jacuzzi,sauna, steam room, swimming pool and gym. Hint don't bother with the changing rooms, they are ridiculously small and not private. We put our cozzis on under our clothes and wrapped up in towels before dashing for the lift.

Staff were attentive and extremely well presented, even late at night. Our kettle was faulty and blew out the electrics, a quick phone call and the fuse was repaired in less than half an hour.

Food was really good quality and price reasonable given you can pay more in the restaurants round about, again service was great although my kids were disappointed when the 'make your own pizza' event was cancelled. Hint, there can be a queue at breakfast get down as early as you can

Some suggestions for improvement:
I use a mobility scooter and the staff had to accommodate this in their own space as there is no charge point in the luggage store.
The Xbox kept breaking down, maybe needs a repair but it was being well used.

Overall a very positive experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MyrrScotland

Thank you very much for your kind review. It is much appreciated and I can assure you that my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We had a bit of trouble with parking, but eventually found a space. The rooms were great- 1 double bed, 1 double sofa bed, a TV, a Nespresso machine and capsules, a mini bar, a hairdryer, an iron and ironing board, 1 toilet room and 1 bathroom. The only problems were that the bathroom door didn't lock and the AC didn't work that great. When the cleaners came they changed our sheets and gave us new Nespresso capsules and soap.
We used the pool every day- and from experience the best times to go are at 3pm (when everyone is checking out) and morning 9-10ish (when everyone is having breakfast). The changing rooms are small and communal and you also need a code from reception.
The location is great- 10mins walk from Edinburgh castle and about 7mins from the Royal Mile. There are lots of shops in the area too.
Overall it was a good stay!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family