It was my first time in Edinburgh and I booked this hotel through Accor as a member. The on line price deal for an Executive room seemed more than reasonable so I succumbed.
The positives are: the hotel's position, the complementary drink, the quiet and comfortable room, the highly competent and courteous housekeeping staff who have improved my rating of this hotel because they maintained high room and laundry standards (I was going to use a laundromat to save costs but am very glad I used the hotel's laundry service which was worth every penny), the reliable, free WiFi, the generous breakfasts (although more labels would help) and the excellent dinners (especially the World Cup specials), the helpful staff member at the front desk who printed tickets for me when the hotel printer broke down.
The negatives: An abrupt reception when I arrived (he wanted to answer the phone but could have been more polite about it. ) Restaurant staff did not know whether the specials could be coupled with other courses and argued about the supply of my free non-alcoholic drink (which constituted a half-glass.) They hovered as I ate and if I stopped for a moment to check a document or email, half finished dinners were snatched away despite crossed cutlery. I asked for a wake up call and a taxi for an early morning flight. Reception staff forgot to do either. A fruit cocktail 2cms in height cost almost £5 and nonalcoholic drinks were overpriced for their size. The chlorine from the pool could be smelled from the restaurant. Yelling from the bar and unbridled screaming from children running around the kitchen area marred meals and staff did nothing to quieten or send the children away.
I can see why this hotel has a lowly rank among Trip Advisor Hotels. With a bit of effort, more staff training, more focus on the convenience of guests and following the housekeeping staff's fine example, it could do so much better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Novotel Edinburgh Centre is an AA rated 4 star hotel in the centre of Edinburgh. Perfect for a holiday in the Scottish capital, close to Edinburgh Castle and the lively Grassmarket Area, 10 min walk from Princes Street shopping and the Royal Mile. The famous Arthurs Seat is 15 min walk away and Edinburgh International Airport 15 min drive. Relax with friends or family and enjoy Elements Restaurant and Bar, 24 hour room service, indoor pool, sauna, steam room, gym and whirlpool. Limited pay parking. Complimentary WiFi available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com and ACCOR so you can book your Novotel Edinburgh Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Edinburgh Centre Hotel Edinburgh
- Accor Edinburgh Centre
- Edinburgh Novotel
- Novotel Edinburgh Centre Scotland