“Has potential. Needs more effort.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Novotel Edinburgh Centre
Ranked #75 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Has potential. Needs more effort.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

It was my first time in Edinburgh and I booked this hotel through Accor as a member. The on line price deal for an Executive room seemed more than reasonable so I succumbed.

The positives are: the hotel's position, the complementary drink, the quiet and comfortable room, the highly competent and courteous housekeeping staff who have improved my rating of this hotel because they maintained high room and laundry standards (I was going to use a laundromat to save costs but am very glad I used the hotel's laundry service which was worth every penny), the reliable, free WiFi, the generous breakfasts (although more labels would help) and the excellent dinners (especially the World Cup specials), the helpful staff member at the front desk who printed tickets for me when the hotel printer broke down.

The negatives: An abrupt reception when I arrived (he wanted to answer the phone but could have been more polite about it. ) Restaurant staff did not know whether the specials could be coupled with other courses and argued about the supply of my free non-alcoholic drink (which constituted a half-glass.) They hovered as I ate and if I stopped for a moment to check a document or email, half finished dinners were snatched away despite crossed cutlery. I asked for a wake up call and a taxi for an early morning flight. Reception staff forgot to do either. A fruit cocktail 2cms in height cost almost £5 and nonalcoholic drinks were overpriced for their size. The chlorine from the pool could be smelled from the restaurant. Yelling from the bar and unbridled screaming from children running around the kitchen area marred meals and staff did nothing to quieten or send the children away.

I can see why this hotel has a lowly rank among Trip Advisor Hotels. With a bit of effort, more staff training, more focus on the convenience of guests and following the housekeeping staff's fine example, it could do so much better.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for leaving your thoughts. I appreciate your positive comments on room, location and housekeeping staff. I have taken note of your comments about areas we can improve and would highly appreciate that too.
We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating all your concerns accordingly.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cheney, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed in this property June 21st and 22nd. The hotel is modern, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good but my issue was security and the staff knowledge.
Both extremely important.
We were visiting home from USA and my mother stayed one night while we booked two night to sight see. They did not change names on the room as requested at front desk in morning. I even wrote it down for her.
My family from all over the world was calling for me and being told we were not there. Totally unacceptable. Mother was frantic, aunt sat in the lobby at 9pm after being told we were not there. These are relatives 78 years old and up so you can imagine their worry..
Fortunately, I came down at 9.15pm to make a call as the manager told me my mother was frantic as he thought we were not there so I found my aunt. Only because I called the front desk to book a taxi.
During the night we had a half naked man attempting to get into our room. It took TWO calls to the front desk for someone to get this person away from our door.
Not finished yet, it gets even better. Then in the morning we checked out early, just needed to get out of there. Asked the front desk girl to cancel our taxi at noon and reschedule for now. She did not do it. I had to follow through and walk her through every step and she still forgot to cancel our noon taxi.
I work in a large hotel in USA and know they forgot to change the names on the room even after I wrote it down, security is non existent, and there is no follow through on the work.
Staff training is needed.
On the plus side no complaints about the cleanliness or quality of food. It was excellent.

Room Tip: No idea as we were facing a street but not too noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Novotel is a modern hotel with good facilities. It is less than a 30 minute walk from Waverley Rail Station. It is close to Grassmarket with many pubs and restaurants. The Novotel bar prices are a complete rip off. Wi-Fi is free but signal is very weak

Room Tip: Ask for high room at the back and you will have quiet room
1 Thank Darlo_ManUK
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Surrey, U.K.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Whilst we have used Novotel in the past the modern style is not usually our preferred choice.
On this ocassion our criteria were that we wanted a hotel for just a 1 night stay in Edinburgh that was ideal as a base to walk from but that could offer parking. The Novotel looked to fit the bill and we were not disappointed.
The check-in staff were extremely efficient and helpful. Although we still don't particularly like the modern styling, the room was a perfect size, the bathroom good, and the bed comfortable which are more important to us than the decor.
Our only niggle was that I do wish hotels with pools wouldn't use their pools for children's swimming lessons. It meant we were unable to go for a quick swim during our brief visit
We very much intend to go back to Edinburgh again and the Novotel will almost certainly be where we will head for.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for leaving your thoughts. I appreciate your positive feedback on hotel rooms, staff and the location. I have taken note of your concern about baby swimming classes in our pool and apologise for your disappointment. I will discuss your concern my team and hope to find the solution.

Once again I appreciate you sharing your experience and look forward to see you near future.

Kind Regards,
Mauritius
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Myself and my husband were in Edinburgh for three nights. From the moment we entered the hotel till we left , service was great. The staff are very welcoming and helped us to get around Edinburgh by ourselves. Food in the restaurant was great and room was clean.

Room Tip: Any room is ok as we were in the hotel only to sleep and spent most of the time autside . Beds are c...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for your great feedback. The whole hotel staff is looking forward to welcome you again!

Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in mid June for vacation and to pick up a Trafalger tour. We stayed for 5 days. The location is a short walk from Grassmarket (5 min.) and about 15 min. walk to the Royal Mile.

Room was clean and quiet. The wireless is poor but I was supposed to be on vacation!

The thing that really set them apart was the quality of the staff. Everyone we dealt with was extremely helpful, very knowledgable and always happy to help us find our way around the city. Can't say enough good about the staff!

After our stay, we received a survey link. I filled out the survey and commented on the rather worn carpet in our room. I received an email from the hotel manager apologizing and letting me know they were doing a refresh next year! Now that's service!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you very much for your positiv review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Novotel Edinburgh Centre.I will share your feedback with our team. I look forward to welcome you again.

dundee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Lovely hotel located about a twenty minute walk from Princess Street or a short taxi ride at a cost of approx £6. Nice clean hotel and good sized bedrooms. Good choice at the breakfast buffet. Would revisit and recommend
Only negative was there was no handbasin in the seperate toilet in the room.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for posting your comments. We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Novotel Edinburgh Centre.