“Convenient to everything”

Novotel Edinburgh Centre
Ranked #72 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Novotel Edinburgh is convenient to Grassmarket, the Castle and the Royal Mile. The staff are friendly and helpful. I emailed them before we left the States with a question and they responded quickly and were very helpful. The entire time we were there, they were quick to help us in any way possible.The hotel is very modern and fresh-looking.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kayelucas
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us.
See you on your next trip soon.
Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,746)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We recently spent 3 nights at this hotel. It was included as a Trafalgar Tour accommodation. It was conveniently located to many locations: it was a 15 minute leisurely walk to the Royal Mile, a 5 minute walk to the Grass Market, and 5 minutes to Grey Friar Bobby's. It was a 2 block walk to find a nice park, popular with University students and locals. The rooms were clean and spacious. The staff was very friendly, and accommodated our early check-in, if we took a room that was normally designed for people with disabilities. We were glad to do so, and appreciated the early availability after a long flight. The breakfast was excellent and the dining area was spacious. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GoRdrs
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for your kind coThank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed as a family of 3, 2 adults and 1 child. The hotel is located really well and only a 10 minute walk to Grassmarket. The room was unimpressive, carpet was shabby and discoloured, the bathroom was more like a closet and the separate toilet was tiny with the toilet roll holder broken.
The decor was really bland and basic and the bed was like a camp bed. Really wasn't impressed with the room and it wasn't a £133 a night room. We could have got a room in Malmaison for the same price!
I complained to reception and they offered me an upgrade but for another £20 per night. I went to look at the room and it was exactly the same apart from a coffee machine and dressing gowns!

For location it's good but for value for money it's poor.

Wifi didn't work

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Natdoc67
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your positive feedback on hotel location. I have also taken note of your other comments and apologise for your disappointment. I would like to assure you that we treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We're back from a 3 night stay here. Great location. We walked from the train station with 2 young kids and it wasn't too far at all. Enjoyed the castle, shopping and the park which were all walking distance from the hotel. (taxi to the zoo was very reasonable also)
On arrival at the hotel the staff were very welcoming and the kids were given a little toy. Check in process was easy as I had already checked in using the hotel app. Our room was ready early as promised so we got straight up to dump our bags (although if your room is not ready they do have a locked left luggage room).
The room was modern and clean and was big enough for 2 adults and 2 kids.
We did use the pool on a few occasions and it was a hit or a miss. The pool was clean and tidy but it is very small and can be very busy. If the pool is busy you will find changing is the biggest problem as the changing rooms are tiny.
Breakfast in the mornings was good, just try an avoid busy times as there are bus tours of people who all seem to arrive on mass at certain times and staff can't seem to keep up at these times.
We ate in the hotel a couple of times and the food was good, waiting staff can be a little slow and disorganised though.
Overall a very nice hotel with polite and helpful staff, would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I think the location is fantastic. It's near everything, just a 10-20 minute walk to all the famous landmarks and the Waverley Train Station (depends how you walk, I guess, but I timed it, and it took around 12 minutes for me). There are small restaurants and cafe nearby, and a small grocery store at the other side. The rooms were comfortable enough. I loved the free hot chocolate and biscuits! I wish they had a bidet in the toilet - which is separated from the shower. There were three of us, so it was kinda crowded, but I think it's spacious enough for a couple. There's also free wi-fi, which I think is a must nowadays, so I really appreciate that.

Breakfast is delicious. The saltiest bacon my family and I has ever tried! My brother and mother were so delighted; they love salty foods. I appreciated the fresh fruit and cereal bar. One of the hostess (I think her name's Renata?), SHE WAS AN ABSOLUTE PEACH! She was friendly and perky and she was a way better pick-me-up than coffee. I loved her cheeriness and smile. It was the perfect way to start my day, so thank you Miss! :) The other staff were just as friendly, and boy, they sure cleaned our table up fast! Even the people at the front desk were ever-so-helpful when I realized I needed to print our boarding passes. Everyone always greeted me too when I walked by.

Thank you for a wonderful experience and for the hospitality. I'm definitely coming back to Scotland! :)

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 16 July 2014

might have been the least comfortable bed ever. Free wifi was nice but signal strength was poor...only half our devices could even see the wifi. Hotel room was very smart and clean and modern. Location good, right near the castle. Right next to the old town. Had odd smell in reception but who knows what that was and I wont hold it against them!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Aljarov
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Novotel Edinburgh Centre. I apologise for the comfort of the bed and shall investigate this further with Housekeeping Manager.

I hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you better next time.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

It was my first time in Edinburgh and I booked this hotel through Accor as a member. The on line price deal for an Executive room seemed more than reasonable so I succumbed.

The positives are: the hotel's position, the complementary drink, the quiet and comfortable room, the highly competent and courteous housekeeping staff who have improved my rating of this hotel because they maintained high room and laundry standards (I was going to use a laundromat to save costs but am very glad I used the hotel's laundry service which was worth every penny), the reliable, free WiFi, the generous breakfasts (although more labels would help) and the excellent dinners (especially the World Cup specials), the helpful staff member at the front desk who printed tickets for me when the hotel printer broke down.

The negatives: An abrupt reception when I arrived (he wanted to answer the phone but could have been more polite about it. ) Restaurant staff did not know whether the specials could be coupled with other courses and argued about the supply of my free non-alcoholic drink (which constituted a half-glass.) They hovered as I ate and if I stopped for a moment to check a document or email, half finished dinners were snatched away despite crossed cutlery. I asked for a wake up call and a taxi for an early morning flight. Reception staff forgot to do either. A fruit cocktail 2cms in height cost almost £5 and nonalcoholic drinks were overpriced for their size. The chlorine from the pool could be smelled from the restaurant. Yelling from the bar and unbridled screaming from children running around the kitchen area marred meals and staff did nothing to quieten or send the children away.

I can see why this hotel has a lowly rank among Trip Advisor Hotels. With a bit of effort, more staff training, more focus on the convenience of guests and following the housekeeping staff's fine example, it could do so much better.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for leaving your thoughts. I appreciate your positive comments on room, location and housekeeping staff. I have taken note of your comments about areas we can improve and would highly appreciate that too.
We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating all your concerns accordingly.