“Vovotel Glasgow”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Vovotel Glasgow”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

It took me along time to decide on the rating, the hotel is in a good location, it has some parking underneath it, the room was clean and presentable, breakfast was good so it should get more than an average rating but i used the spa facilities well the pool anyway as the sauna and steam room were not working and talking to guests had not been for a couple of days.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dale H
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for leaving your thoughts about your stay at Novotel Edinburgh Centre. I appreciate your good comments on hotel location, breakfast and the car park.
I am sorry hear that you could not use our sauna and steam room due to the ongoing maintenance work. It was due to an emergency maintenance work that we had to close spa facility and I apologise for inconvenience.

I hope to see you in near future.

Kind Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Booked this hotel thinking it was the Novotel at Edinburgh park for a two day business meeting. Didn't know what to spect as had used the other one before, but I was in for a surprise !

Absolutely brilliant meeting venue, rooms perfect natural light and excellent table lay outs, plus and a big plus for a training meeting fantastic support from staff especially Karine who was excellent with her support to me and my team.

Karine organised all support coffee breaks, lunches, photocopying and she also took time to source restaurant off site if we wanted.. Food in the hotel was very good as well.

Bedrooms were great novotel class always good, bed comfy, air con working well 25c in the city ! All agreed good night sleep which is important when attending a training meeting.

Well done to all at the Novotel would be delighted to return and would recommend to any company wanting a meeting in the city.

Special thanks to Karine and Monica behind the desk.

Room Tip: Get a side room quieter than facing main lauriston place road.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, 1 August 2014

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Novotel Edinburgh is convenient to Grassmarket, the Castle and the Royal Mile. The staff are friendly and helpful. I emailed them before we left the States with a question and they responded quickly and were very helpful. The entire time we were there, they were quick to help us in any way possible.The hotel is very modern and fresh-looking.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kayelucas
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us.
See you on your next trip soon.
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We recently spent 3 nights at this hotel. It was included as a Trafalgar Tour accommodation. It was conveniently located to many locations: it was a 15 minute leisurely walk to the Royal Mile, a 5 minute walk to the Grass Market, and 5 minutes to Grey Friar Bobby's. It was a 2 block walk to find a nice park, popular with University students and locals. The rooms were clean and spacious. The staff was very friendly, and accommodated our early check-in, if we took a room that was normally designed for people with disabilities. We were glad to do so, and appreciated the early availability after a long flight. The breakfast was excellent and the dining area was spacious. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GoRdrs
Thank you for your kind coThank you for your kind comments and compliments – I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed as a family of 3, 2 adults and 1 child. The hotel is located really well and only a 10 minute walk to Grassmarket. The room was unimpressive, carpet was shabby and discoloured, the bathroom was more like a closet and the separate toilet was tiny with the toilet roll holder broken.
The decor was really bland and basic and the bed was like a camp bed. Really wasn't impressed with the room and it wasn't a £133 a night room. We could have got a room in Malmaison for the same price!
I complained to reception and they offered me an upgrade but for another £20 per night. I went to look at the room and it was exactly the same apart from a coffee machine and dressing gowns!

For location it's good but for value for money it's poor.

Wifi didn't work

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Natdoc67
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your positive feedback on hotel location. I have also taken note of your other comments and apologise for your disappointment. I would like to assure you that we treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly.

Kind regards,
Aberdeen
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We're back from a 3 night stay here. Great location. We walked from the train station with 2 young kids and it wasn't too far at all. Enjoyed the castle, shopping and the park which were all walking distance from the hotel. (taxi to the zoo was very reasonable also)
On arrival at the hotel the staff were very welcoming and the kids were given a little toy. Check in process was easy as I had already checked in using the hotel app. Our room was ready early as promised so we got straight up to dump our bags (although if your room is not ready they do have a locked left luggage room).
The room was modern and clean and was big enough for 2 adults and 2 kids.
We did use the pool on a few occasions and it was a hit or a miss. The pool was clean and tidy but it is very small and can be very busy. If the pool is busy you will find changing is the biggest problem as the changing rooms are tiny.
Breakfast in the mornings was good, just try an avoid busy times as there are bus tours of people who all seem to arrive on mass at certain times and staff can't seem to keep up at these times.
We ate in the hotel a couple of times and the food was good, waiting staff can be a little slow and disorganised though.
Overall a very nice hotel with polite and helpful staff, would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I think the location is fantastic. It's near everything, just a 10-20 minute walk to all the famous landmarks and the Waverley Train Station (depends how you walk, I guess, but I timed it, and it took around 12 minutes for me). There are small restaurants and cafe nearby, and a small grocery store at the other side. The rooms were comfortable enough. I loved the free hot chocolate and biscuits! I wish they had a bidet in the toilet - which is separated from the shower. There were three of us, so it was kinda crowded, but I think it's spacious enough for a couple. There's also free wi-fi, which I think is a must nowadays, so I really appreciate that.

Breakfast is delicious. The saltiest bacon my family and I has ever tried! My brother and mother were so delighted; they love salty foods. I appreciated the fresh fruit and cereal bar. One of the hostess (I think her name's Renata?), SHE WAS AN ABSOLUTE PEACH! She was friendly and perky and she was a way better pick-me-up than coffee. I loved her cheeriness and smile. It was the perfect way to start my day, so thank you Miss! :) The other staff were just as friendly, and boy, they sure cleaned our table up fast! Even the people at the front desk were ever-so-helpful when I realized I needed to print our boarding passes. Everyone always greeted me too when I walked by.

Thank you for a wonderful experience and for the hospitality. I'm definitely coming back to Scotland! :)

Stayed July 2014