“Location.. Location Location..”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Bengaluru, India
“Location.. Location Location..”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Nice Big rooms.. Ideally located close to the castle... Free wireless Internet in your room.. Helpful staff.. Spa, huge LED TV in your room.. What more can you ask for..
Stayed for 2 nights.. The toilet is not within the bath and can be annoying if you have wash your hands after use..
The staff is very pleasant and extremely helpful and they give you the best economical options..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable. I hope to see you on your next trip.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
cairns
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Excellent location close to the Castle and Ideal for the tatoo and the Fringe festival. Good quality hotel, comfortable and very helpful staff. many bars and eaterys close by. Good heated swimming pool and family friendly

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, 20 August 2014

Perth Australia
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed two nights with a tour group.Comfortable bed and has air conditioning.Separate toilet from bathroom.Shower gel and shampoo the only toiletries provided.Breakfasts were good and plentiful.One member on the tour admitted on leaving that they didn't know they had a shower in their bathroom until the morning they left.Its almost cupboard like, open all the doors and you will find it.Gave us all some laughs.

Room Tip: Look for the shower, there will be one there somewhere.
Green Features: Basic provisions, take your toothbrush.No face washers but if contacted I guess they would provide
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Novotel Edinburgh Centre. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

deeply disappointed at the standard of the room. As we walked in we could see that the skirting boards were all scuffed and very dirty, the carpet was covered in old stains. The net curtain was full of holes. The desk lamp, the wall light and a ceiling light in the bathroom were not working. The bathroom being separate to the WC was very inconvenient as there is no sink in the WC, so we would have to obviously go to the bathroom to wash our hands which is difficult when hardly any of the lights worked. The light in the bathroom was also very dull so again going to the toilet during the night was ridiculous as there was no light.

On Friday morning we were woken at 7am by the sound of lorries or vans unloading as the room is situated to the back of the hotel and the noise went on until 11am.

On first appearances walking into the hotel lobby, it is a very impressive building however the hotel room was shabby and very tired looking, certainly not 4* quality. The only redeeming features were that the staff were pleasant, we had a clean bed and clean towels but you could get that in a lower rating hotel. Having a fresh clean bed and towels should be expected in any hotel, guest house or B&B.

Room Tip: If you get allocated room 406 ask for another
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate you positive feedback on hotel staff and the location. I have taken note of your comments and can assure you that this is not our normal standard. I can also assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

Essex
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We did not chose this hotel, someone else did the booking as we were here on business, but we have stayed in Accor hotels before and they are usually much the same which ever country you are in and our room was very much the 'standard issue', same bed, furniture etc.

I have some mobility problems and we were given disabled room on the 4th floor. It is a nice enough room, overlooking other bedrooms, so it is quiet. The bed was good and firm, and although it is August, we were glad that the air conditioning was easy to use, not too noisy, and you can warm the room as well as cool it.

The hotel is near to the Castle, so expect to hear some very large bangs late into the night from the guns and the fireworks, but that is a minor detail, and if you are a tourist you might well be up there watching the events. This hotel is very close to everything you will need in Edinburgh and it cost around £6 for a taxi from the station.

As I mentioned, we were in the disabled room. I cannot think what possessed someone to design a disabled room with a shower that is totally inaccessible to people with mobility problems, so I tweeted about this and all Accor said was they would take this up with the manager, but it is not his fault, it is the policy makers at the top who seem to think that if they put in a couple of handrails that will be enough. I have used Accor hotels in the past and this is a common design fault throughout the group's hotels, although I have stayed in an Ibis which had a wet room that was perfect and this is what they need to do with their other hotels too,

While I am talking about the bathroom, there is nowhere to hang your towels, yet a notice asks you to hang your towels to save the planet. There is also nowhere to hang your clothes, not even a coat hook on the door, and no toilet seat cover or even a toilet roll holder. The toilet roll was propped in the little sink by the toilet. A little box of hand cream / body lotion might have been a friendly touch too. We just got shampoo, soap and shower gel.

One person I have to mention is the young man who cleaned our room. I was working in my room one morning and forgot to put the 'do not disturb' sign on the door, so when he knocked I let him work around me and he was so nice, kept out of my way, and when he saw I had used both of the Earl Grey tea bags he went off and got me a new supply. The staff are all friendly and helpful too, their English isn't always good, but I suppose that is why they are working in the UK.

There is a pool and it was busy with children, and someone else has mentioned that there is no pull in space out front, and that did cause some problems as a coach parked right outside all day and night leaving cabs to pull up the road, rather than outside the hotel.

Room Tip: There are some good views from the other side of the hotel, but it is also noisy at night, so I pref...
Green Features: You cannot hang towels on a towel rail if you haven't got one in your bathroom, so mine all went in the bath and were changed every day.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed by myself in July at the Novotel in a single room. I was really surprised at how large the room was. It was modern, comfortable and in a safe area. It had a huge bathroom, large spa bath and shower. The hotel also had a restaurant and a pool. The hotel is really central located. Grass market was about 5 minutes down the road, with a range of restaurants and pubs. The Edinburgh castle is about a 10 minute walk away from the hotel and some rooms in the hotel have views of the castle. The only complaint I have is that the Wifi didn't work on my phone. Otherwise this hotel is fantastic.

Green Features: Didn't notice any environmentally friendly practices
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, 14 August 2014

Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Myself and three friends stayed here for 3 nights from 5 August 2014. Friendly check in, lovely room, excellent facilities. A few yards to the bus stop and a very comfortable short walk into Grassmarket, restaurants and pubs and wonderful ambience. From our room we could see Edinburgh Castle. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, any questions we asked were readily answered, we needed print outs for a trip and they happily helped us with everything. What a welcoming hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed on 1st floor on right hand side, could see the castle.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends