“CONSISENTLY GOOD”

Novotel Edinburgh Centre
Ranked #71 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 December 2008

We stayed at the Novotel for the 8th time this weekend to see Edinburgh at Christmas (it never disapoints!).

We paid £10 to park under the hotel which was ideal and well with the money not to have the hassle of looking for a car park space in Edinburgh.

We checked in before lunch and were told our room was already available, great service!

Our room was lovely (531) with a separate bathroom and toilet and a lovely view of the castle. There was a mini bar and a well stocked coffee facility. My only gripe is that the beds are camping beds instead of a proper bed and there are not enough pillows on the bed but hey ho you cant have everything. For the price you cant complain

We slept soundly and had a great breakfast which was a buffet style set up. Very hearty and well cooked with alot of choice.

There is leisure facilities ranging from a pool, jacuzzi and a gym which I didnt use this time but have before and they were great. A welcome touch after a days Shopping!

We had a late check out which was great (and we werent charged for it) as we could spend a little more time in Edinburgh.

We booked as usual through the hotel website and got the great rate of £89 b&b in a superior room which for Edinburgh, I feel is fantastic value for money.

It was our 8th stay at the Novotel and if it keeps the standards that it has at the moment I will be staying again in the new year.

Would recomend for a stay in Edinburgh anytime

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 November 2008

Stayed in Novotel during the October half term week for 4 days with my wife and it is a very nice hotel situated in good position about 10 minutes from the castle and it is also on the open top bus tour routes.
It is a very new hotel and our room was very good with a large double bed, sofa, TV, tea and coffee making facilities, separate toilet and a lovely bathroom which had either a bath or separate shower cubicle. Small complaint was that the room was cleaned sometimes very late in the afternoon/early evening and tea and coffee supplies not replenished each day.
We had breakfast in the restaurant twice during our stay, plenty of choice and good quality food but had to wait for a table and also some of the hot food as the restaurant was very busy and not sure whether they had enough staff to cover all the guests.
Did not use the fitness centre or swimming pool but did use the bar and this had Skysports so you can see the football etc.
We absolutely loved Edinburgh and its people, visited the Castle, Holyrood Palace and Royal Yacht Britannia and we would recommend getting a 2 day bus tour ticket. We will return again in the summer for hopefully the Tattoo.
My only real issue was I booked this through Novotel direct using ACCOR vouchers and some of these were not accepted when I went to pay my bill and I am still trying to resolve this issue but the actual hotel is very good and we would use it again..

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2008

I was really suprised by this place. Was so nice, room soo nice, seperate bathroom and wc. Rdaio that played thro to shower, really nice i thought.
Ate in restaurant which was also good but very slow.

Pool downstairs which i missed out on, but maybe next time.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2008

The "Novotel" in Edinburgh, situated on Lauriston Place is a lovely, clean and modern looking hotel. Very comfortable and surprisingly quiet considering it is on what looks a busy-ish main road. We got a quick no hassles check in at 9.30am and was given our room ahead of the standard Noon check-in. The room was excellent, large double bed (possibly queen size) sofa, tv and the bathroom was very nice complimented by a hot power shower (very nice after a good days touring this beautiful city). We stayed on B&B basis and the breakfast on the whole was very good, although occasionally things were warm rather than hot which i do feel is important for the first meal of the day. Location is pretty good, go right for 10 minutes and you end up at the top end of Princes Street (The shopping mile) go left out the hotel for 10 minutes and you are on the Royal Mile, perhaps closer to the Castle than Holyrood Palace. Edinburgh is absolutely without a doubt a lovely city with lots to explore and we are already going back! Shopping is great, the sights are superb and views are something else. Novotel was good but something (don't know what) was missing to give the full 5 stars here.

• Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank Ry_Ru
Reviewed 8 September 2008

Overall, it is not bad. Room size is big, good location, booked friday night at £89 with breakfast and Saturday night at £109 with no breakfast due to full occupancy on Saturday. Room is quite dusty, pool not very clean though. If you are not an overly-fussy person, this hotel should be fine.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank JevJev
Reviewed 21 August 2008

Stayed in Edinburgh on business. The hotel was clean and tidy. Room was good size and had a range of facilities. The pool and sauna were small. Gym was fine as it was empty. The cost was , in my opinion, expensive for this standard of hotel although the location was very good in relation to the castle etc.

Wouldn't stay here if I was on a leisure break.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank CelticFire
Reviewed 11 August 2008

My partner booked this hotel last minute for an over night stay in Edinburgh.

We have both stayed in Edinburgh several times and this hotel was by far the worst. My over all impression of the hotel was that it was not worth the money.

The hotel is relatively near the Royal Mile (around a 10-15 minute walk) and around a 5 minute walk from the grass market.

When we arrived at the hotel my partner asked the hotel staff where he could park our car. He was advised that the hotel had no parking spaces left however they had an agreement with the owners of another car park and that we could park our car there. The hotel staff then went on to give us directions to the car park only to find it was about a 15 minute walk from the hotel and at a charge of £15.00 a night!

The hotel rooms are very tidy, clean and pretty much what you would expect of a 4* hotel. We had previous stayed at the “holiday inn” near Edinburgh Zoo for around half the price and the rooms were the same standard if not better.

As the hotel had indoor pool., we decided to get our monies worth and spend an hour using the facilities. In my option no more that 3 people could have used the pool at once and around 2 people could fit in the Jacuzzi. There was a steam room and sauna which we did not use as there was no water machine to get a drink. After 10 minutes we had had enough and left.

My partner had advised me that breakfast was not included in our stay. I was shocked because of the amount he had paid for an over night stay, I thought breakfast would have been included. We were required to pay another £12.50 each if we wanted to eat this in the hotel. The breakfast was average and if we had more time in the Moring I would not recommend paying the extra £24.00 per couple.

I always enjoy my stays in Edinburgh however I would not recommend to anyone to stay in this hotel. I am not one for writing reviews however I was so annoyed at how much we spent for this average hotel that I decided to. We have previously stayed in the Raddison hotel which sits on the Royal Mile, the price was reasonable and breakfast was included - it was far better. I appreciate that to stay central you have to sometimes pay a little extra however this hotel was not worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple