“Less than I expected”

Novotel Edinburgh Centre
Ranked #73 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 June 2009

For a Novotel I just found this one had no atmosphere. Service was a bit boring in both, reception and bar. Bedrooms although big the air conditioner was not working. And I had reserved two bedrooms and in both of them nothing! Toiletries for a 4 star hotel left a lot to desire. On the good side, is well located, clean and the bedrooms are big.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Novotel Edinburgh Centre

Reviewed 5 June 2009

I spent a weekend in Edinburgh while on a business trip to the UK. This was leisure time for me and I could not be happier about my choice to visit Edinburgh when I had the chance.

What I LIKED:

LOCATION: Much of the touristy part of Edinburgh is practically at the Novotel's doorstep. I was able to see Edinburgh Castle from my room and it was just a short walk away. Of course, that means that the Royal Mile and Princes Street are also just a short walk. There were also a couple museums that were not far. For a quick weekend, this hotel allowed access to many of Edinburgh's most famous places.

ROOM: I didn't really have high expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised. The room was fairly sizable and incredibly modern. It wasn't a five star hotel, but it was very clean and comfortable...perfect for a weekend. Think IKEA hotel...and I mean that in the best possible way.

BREAKFAST: I feel like I always have a comment on the breakfast at a hotel...leave it to the American to center on food! The breakfast here was nicely done. A good variety of cereals, eggs, and pastries. Decent service, not stellar, but decent.

What COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER

BED: The bed was a bit firm for my taste; however, you should expect that across much of the UK and Europe. Again, thinking IKEA hotel, the matress is on a platform bed, ergo firm.

BATHROOM: This is a small thing. The toilet was a separate room from the shower and vanity. I can see the advantages of that if you are traveling with someone else. However, it did make hand washing (especially in the middle of the night) a bit inconvenient.

I really can't think of much else to say about the hotel under the "could have been better." Overall, it's a hotel that meets all practical needs of the traveler in a clean and modern way. Of course, I also fell in love with Edinburgh which probably would make me less apt to see other potential faults of the hotel. I would recommend this hotel and I DEFINITELY recommend getting to Edinburgh!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank oxman78
Reviewed 3 June 2009

I found the Novotel while looking for a hotel with smoking rooms - a very difficult task anywhere in the UK outside of London. The hotel turned out to be quite decent and very clean, but the location was a bit off. The Royal Mile was a good 25 minute walk, and Princess Street closer to 45 minutes.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank oarkrj
Reviewed 30 May 2009

We found this hotel on Priceline for a good rate. It is only about 5 minutes walk to the city center. The rooms are very modern and stylish, with some unusual designs. We had plenty of room, with a good TV. It was a warm day when we arrived and left and the air condition never got very cool. The car park was full and we were forced to park on the street and feed the meter.
We did not try breakfast since we read that it is usually very busy. We opted to stop at a nearby Tesco and pick up some items to store in the in-room fridge. The hotel also has internet service for a fee in the lobby.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2009

More of a glorified 2 star in my opinion! Bath-sized swimming pool and sink-sized bath in room gives the impression that they were added solely to reach the requirements for that extra star! Hence bad value due to its 4 star prices! Also beware of extra charges which are not clearly stated when booking. Booked a hotel room which fits 3 adults only to be charged extra on arrival for the 3rd adult. Monetary exchange rates they offer are laughable also! When booking we were told car parking was available for us, on arrival told car park was full. Finally, found staff relatively unfriendly and unaccommodating with a few exceptions. In general wouldn't recommend this hotel, bad value for money and unfriendly staff!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank horner2009
Reviewed 22 May 2009

We stayed for 4 nights at this hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We travelled from the airport on the Airport Express bus and got off at Shandwick Place and walked a fair distance to the hotel but on the way back we found that the No 35 bus stops just outside the hotel and goes around the houses to the airport a journey of about 45 minutes but worth it if you have got a fair bit of luggage, all day bus tickets can be purchased on board all buses for £3 and offer very good value Lothian buses do a very simple bus plan which I got from the tourist board.The No 23,27 and 35 all stop 100yds away from Novotel and take you directly into the centre of Edinburgh in about 5 mins. Smooth check in and when I asked for a castle view the receptionist Judit changed our room immediately without fuss. We also asked to borrow an extension lead for a piece of breathing apparatus and this was kindly produced. In fact throughout our stay the staff were exceptionally helpful. The room was spacious and as mentioned before the toilet was separate but to my mind that was a bonus as I could take my time in the bathroom without anyone banging on the door to use the loo! The shower was separate from the bath and very spacious, the bath was a little on the small size but totally adequate with a shower head on a very long hose alongside. Toiletries were provided along with a professional strength hairdryer and soft white fluffy towels. The breakfast was good and the service good but we ate at approx 0900 hours each day when perhaps all the business people had gone to work so the breakfast room was not busy. We saw the pool and it looked good with jacuzzi as well but we didn't have tiome to use it as there was too much to do in Edinburgh. A bonus was that the reception very kindly checked us in online for our Flybe flight home and printed our boarding cards for us as the Internet in the foyer had no printer. They also kept our luggage for us till 1900 when we departed for the airport. The Whisky experience was interesting but quite expensive. we spent Wednesday evening in the Mitre pub on the Royal Mile (opposite Radissons) where a singer kept us all entertained with singalong which was very amusing. For a special meal try the Plumed Horse in Henderson Street, Leith Michelin on estar and very inventive menu. All in all an excellent stay and we'd ceratinly return.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Folksinger
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Positives: very clean hotel; extremely helpful staff; as we had a late flight there was no problem checking out 2 hours later than the usual checkout time; hotel was very easy to find as it's on a bus route from the Airport; rooms were ok sized and there were tea/coffee making facilities; very nice bar.

Negatives: it's not in the immediate city centre although within a walking distance; there was no wi-fi although internet was accessible through the TV and an extra price.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple