Although the hotel has very limited parking we arrived around midday and got the one space vacant at that time. Our theory had been that someone would be checking out as we arrived, or soon after.Whatever, we got a space. The charge was respectable.
Reception staff were polite and businesslike and could not be faulted. Our suite was on the top floor and was spacious, clean, comfortable and well appointed. The added luxury of a balcony, table and chairs, was well enjoyed as the weather happened to be red hot! We took our own champagne to counter ther hotel's extortionate prices. A bucket of ice was all we needed but after waiting over 40 minutes my partner collected the thing herself from the solo overworked and swamped barman. He was very appreciatve of the gesture.
This is a point on which I would score the hotel very low. The bar person was flitting backward and forward from the bar to the restaurant constantly and although this is not too much of a bind when the bar is quiet, it is very frustrating if there are several customers present, and in addition to all this, he has to provide room service from the bar??? The bar is unstaffed for repeated periods and getting served is a problem. Seems to me the manager must be teetotal and has no vision as to how he could improve the atmosphere as well as make a large increase in takings by employing a properly trained bar person with an assistant. The wages the staff receive will hardly make this a financial problem. We returned to the bar on the Saturday night to find it approximately 3/4 full and the single bar girl was not coping well at all. She had one speed, dead slow, and the lager was frothing. The practice of filling glasses with frothy lager and pouring them into one another until a pint is achieved is not pretty, a bit unhygenic, and the pint is ruined, as I was to find. I got two pints to avoid going back into the fifteen minute wait for service and boy did I cop out. The lager was putrid! It had been very nice on the afternoon and on the previous day when I was in so it must have been the frothing problem. (Frothing is easily cured with a small adjustment at the keg end of things in the cellar) clearly it was beyond the staff present.... A senior member of staff was again flitting about and served people out of turn when she interfered, She did not stay behind the bar to get rid of the queue though, after serving one order she flitted away. This was done twice whilst I was at the bar and she only just avoided getting the rough end of my tongue by my partners order for me to keep quiet. She was hindrance rather than a help and her coming and going was annoying. Simply, the bar situation is dire....!! Manager, please address and improve!
Breakfast, the thing which most determines for me whether the hotel is good or bad. 90% of my adjudication is based on the state of the breakfast. It was very good indeed. Buffet style, so not the best of situations, but the food was fresh and lively. A great Full English could be achieved and I thoroughly enjoyed mine. Toast is the 'do it yourself' type and ok if the machine was working properly and if staff had an inkling on how to adjust it. It was'nt, they didn't. The only downer on a nice breakfast set up. The tea was good, as long as you gave it time, and a stir, to get the flavour. All in all though a big positive.
Our stay was almost perfect and the Castle, Royal Mile and other entertainment and attractions were just a nice brisk walk away.
One we would return to, most definitely.
Special thanks to Alison at Reception.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Novotel Edinburgh Centre is an AA rated 4 star hotel in the centre of Edinburgh. Perfect for a holiday in the Scottish capital, close to Edinburgh Castle and the lively Grassmarket Area, 10 min walk from Princes Street shopping and the Royal Mile. The famous Arthurs Seat is 15 min walk away and Edinburgh International Airport 15 min drive. Relax with friends or family and enjoy Elements Restaurant and Bar, 24 hour room service, indoor pool, sauna, steam room, gym and whirlpool. Limited pay parking. Complimentary WiFi available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, ACCOR, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Ebookers, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Novotel Edinburgh Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Edinburgh Centre Hotel Edinburgh
- Accor Edinburgh Centre
- Edinburgh Novotel
- Novotel Edinburgh Centre Scotland